DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The best order to use when beginning a flight.

Both drone and remote are computers with pretty smart software. It doesn't much matter what order, though I always turn the drone OFF before the remote on shutdown.

Even in the '70's when there were no smarts aboard the aircraft, I would turn the aircraft on first as a last check that there was nobody else on the same frequency. With no remote turned on, the servos would jump to somewhat random positions, and I knew it was safe to turn on the remote. If the servos responded in an intelligent manner, I'd re check that nobody was on my frequency. Kept me from "shooting down" a guy who had the wrong color flag.
Totally agree. I’ve spent 40 years in the IT industry so far and one thing for sure is that smart software may be written by smart programmers but they are still human and thus prone to error. I currently work in the healthcare industry where software errors could be life threatening. Yet even with sophisticated testing tools, errors do occur. So the lesson is never to assume the software is foolproof.

Last edited:
Whichever you prefer.
I am yet to see a post on these forums that has had an issue because of the order of switching radio or drone on first.

Me, I like turning the RC & app on first, Drone Second. My thinking is that it will have a log file from the get go once I turn the drone on. Then again for all I know that may not be an issue either. The log may be stored/buffered on the drone till a connection is made. I have not tested it & hopefully never need to know.

I’d recommend just having a “launch” procedure and sticking to the same thing until it’s subconscious. I know it helps me remember to turn off notifications, check props, gimbal cover, etc all those good things.

Reactions: old man mavic
There have been multiple cases of drones relaunching on loss of signal when left on the ground after a flight.
That's about what order you switch things off which is quite a different matter.

But you cannot start the motors without the controller.
Of course you can't start motors without RC, but you can start idle CSC, get distracted with props spinning, then turn off RC. It's the only way it should ever happen.

If there were genuine incidents that AC took off on RC power off when motors were not armed, I'd really like to know how. Not doubting it, but just strange.
What's even more strange is if HP is right there, where would it be directed to go?

Also, wait for the nice lady to say "The homepoint has been recorded, please check it on the map"
It can/will save you a lot of grief...

Reactions: Tentoes
Totally agree. I’ve spent 40 years in the IT industry so far and one thing for sure is that smart software may be written by smart programmers but they are still human and thus prone to error. I currently work in the healthcare industry where software errors could be life threatening. Yet even with sophisticated testing tools, errors do occur. So the lesson is never to assume the software is foolproof.

I've been in software engineering for 40 years.

Hypothetically in the 70’s if your bird’s servo’s responded in an intelligent manner having to be but unlikely on same frequency as another and he/she was lifting off and flying and your bird following those commands did the same before you could turn your remote on and establish a connection, what could you do about it except watch? If you turned your remote on first even if you shared a frequency with another, your craft would most likely respond to the closets or strongest signal though as it gets further away and you do have the same freq then then stronger signal will win or cause interference and I have seen this at my helicopters hobby fields with 20 guys or so wanting to fly so we had to establish a rule where only two birds could be in the air at one time or take it elsewhere if you did not want to wait your turn.

WDK

In those days, if you turned your transmitter on and someone else was using the frequency, you'd "shoot down" his airplane as your transmitters pulses would mix with his and the servos would misinterpret the pulse widths. My servos responding in an intelligent manner without my transmitter on warned me that someone else was flying and I'd better check again before causing an accident.

Thanks for your reply, it took a bit of persuasion with my financial advisor (or wife as she likes to be called) before she agreed to me getting a mini 2 to supplement my air 2. However, is the Smart Controller a worthwhile addition and would I be able to use it with my Air 2 as well as the Mini 2?
Funny. I have a financial advisor like yours, and am contemplating how to convince mine of the need for the Mini 2 to augment my Air 2. Got any tips for me? :)

In those days, if you turned your transmitter on and someone else was using the frequency, you'd "shoot down" his airplane as your transmitters pulses would mix with his and the servos would misinterpret the pulse widths. My servos responding in an intelligent manner without my transmitter on warned me that someone else was flying and I'd better check again before causing an accident.
Thank you, I get what your saying now in turning on your transmitter, however I still don’t know what you would do if your heli lifted off in response to the commands of the bird already in the sky similar to your garage door opening when your neighbor a block over opens his until either changes dip switches.

WDK

I have mentioned this before and possibly even in this thread but I come from the world of competition RC cars. This was back in the day when you had to select a unique crystal for your transmitter so that your car was not controlled by someone else. If you turned on your car before you turned on your radio it would take off like it had a mind of it’s own. You did not want to be the one whose cars raced across the track crashing into the first obstacle.

Ever since then it is always, and always will be for me, turn on the radio and then the car/drone.

I have mentioned this before and possibly even in this thread but I come from the world of competition RC cars. This was back in the day when you had to select a unique crystal for your transmitter so that your car was not controlled by someone else. If you turned on your car before you turned on your radio it would take off like it had a mind of it’s own. You did not want to be the one whose cars raced across the track crashing into the first obstacle.

Ever since then it is always, and always will be for me, turn on the radio and then the car/drone.
For that very reason, that has ALWAYS been my procedure except for that one time when my micro heli went nuts......lesson learned.

WDK

Funny. I have a financial advisor like yours, and am contemplating how to convince mine of the need for the Mini 2 to augment my Air 2. Got any tips for me? :)
While I am sure there might be a need to go "Backwards" (regulations, I wouldn't chase them...just going to get worse or retracted)...I personally can't fathom going to a less capable aircraft when I realistically think about it. Hopefully your "FA", doesn't factor in things and ask you what the M2 can do that the MA2 can't.

I would think money better spent would be to advance feature set and accessories for your MA2, but don't know your rational for taking such steps...just spitballing is all :) I lost my "FA" couple of years ago to Cancer, I would give anything to just have a argument today with her...So love them while you got them, best not, as you know to "wiz" them off.....happy wife...happy life. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
My 2 cents worth....just develop your own personal procedure for pre-take-off checks, power up, and power down, and stick to it, consistently. Oh, and be sure "power down" includes stopping the motors.

My favorite miss is forgetting to remove the gimbal cover. Need a big red flag glued to it (the cover that is).

Thank you, I get what your saying now in turning on your transmitter, however I still don’t know what you would do if your heli lifted off in response to the commands of the bird already in the sky similar to your garage door opening when your neighbor a block over opens his until either changes dip switches.

WDK

These were nitro powered airplanes and helicopters. You had to start the engine.

@Tentoes ,hi my friend ,i have experience of nitro powered RC ,and i can assure you that i would never try to start any of them ,untill i had established a RC link to the nitro cars i used to race.
for a start its important that during start up that you have control of the throttle servo ,whether its a car ,or heli ,or plane and the only way to achieve this is with the RC connected,the last thing to be started was always the engine once a check had been made that all the other controls were responding as they should

Reactions: WDKZoom
New to Mini 2 ownership, I seem to remember on a You Tube video, that it was important to turn on your equipment in the correct order, so do you start with the controller, then the mobile/iPad then finally the mini 2 , or the reverse, or does it not matter????
Typically screen device 1st then controller then drone but I have done it drone then controller and it didn't seem to matter

Ditto^^^^....unless perhaps when using the SC (Smart Controller)...in order to get the "quick launch" it tends to like the aircraft on to detect on boot to jump automatically to the camera view...but yeah other than that, which at present doesn't apply to you. :)
I like doing it this way. As a new drone owner, I have tried it about any way possible. All ways seem to work but this is quicker. I never really gave much thought to the sequence of events but it is something to think about. As I believe somebody on here said, with the state of technology now it should not be issue.

With today’s incredibly sophisticated control systems with controller “binding” to the drone and hence the drone knowing which controller it is linked to it doesn’t matter which way round BUT.......
. . . . along with with other ‘best practice’ techniques it’s about consistency and control.

Anyway, You asked the question so:
BEST practice is:
1. connect iPad/iPhone to controller
2. iPad/iphone on, DJI app opened
3. controller ON first (OFF last.)
Drone on.
Reverse order to switch down.

if you have to change a battery mid flying you only need to switch drone off, change battery and switch drone back on and await connection etc till “ready to fly”

TIP: There is a clue in the word “control”.
Older r/c systems could have the a/c react to outside interference, I know, it’s happened to me, but though it doesn’t matter today, use a consistent best practice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143