DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The best travel drone - no questions asked.

KDog

Reactions
I know the Mavic cops a lot of stick on here for its various shortcomings, but I challenge anyone to fault this drone for travel. I’m a week into a Europe trip (still on the Balkan Peninsula) and this has been (touch wood) faultless. It’s been thrown in and out of my day pack in amongst towels and water and sunscreen, it’s up and flying a seconds and for what it is - produces amazing results.

Could I get better shots with an Inspire? Absolutely, but I’d need to double the length of my trip and pay muchos for excess baggage.

I’ve been flying my Mavic for a while now, and this trip has just reinforced why I love this drone.

Super cool video! And I agree about the Mavic being an amazing travel drone. I've only had mine about a month, but am really looking forward to taking it places. Just curious, do you have the Pro or the Air?

Super cool video! And I agree about the Mavic being an amazing travel drone. I've only had mine about a month, but am really looking forward to taking it places. Just curious, do you have the Pro or the Air?

Thanks! Just a rough cut of course.

I have the Mavic Pro. The higher power to deal with wind and give a higher top speed have been very welcome.

What will you be travelling with?

I have the Mavic Pro. The higher power to deal with wind and give a higher top speed have been very welcome.

Except, the Air is much better in high winds.

Except, the Air is much better in high winds.

Well there you go, I didn’t actually realise that. I got my Pro long before the Air was a thing, so I’ve never really bothered to check. I’m sure the air is a great travel drone too.

If I want to travel with mine! How do I determine what local drone regulations are? Especially in foreign countries that aren't English speaking? Is there some sort of database where we can look at drone regulations across the globe? I remember reading a horror story about a drone being confiscated in another country (Nicaragua?) because they weren't allowed there.

If I want to travel with mine! How do I determine what local drone regulations are? Especially in foreign countries that aren't English speaking? Is there some sort of database where we can look at drone regulations across the globe? I remember reading a horror story about a drone being confiscated in another country (Nicaragua?) because they weren't allowed there.

Unfortunately, there’s isn’t a database that makes life easy. If fact, even in my own country (Australia) I’m continuously learning about new prohibitions etc., so getting full down-low on other countries is tough.

My approach - rightly or wrongly - is to beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission. Notwithstanding airport restrictions which I always strictly observe (and are relatively the same if you apply common sense) I generally just gauge the local sentiment and then whack her up. Many will say this isn’t the right approach and gives us all a bad name, but I find that if you fly safely and respectfully, you’ll generally get the benefit of the doubt.

I think many tourism destinations realise that they get a bit of free marketing out of drone use, so they seem to be fairly accommodating.

All that said, I do keep my DJI database up to date which told me not to fly over a UNESCO world heritage cultural site, so I gave that a miss.

I have the Pro Platinum. My first and favorite accessory for it was the backpack. I live in a city that has lots of great places to shoot, so I'll just ride my bike around or walk around with my backpack on and see what I find for shooting. But definitely looking forward to my next big road trip to take it on.

I know the Mavic cops a lot of stick on here for its various shortcomings, but I challenge anyone to fault this drone for travel. I’m a week into a Europe trip (still on the Balkan Peninsula) and this has been (touch wood) faultless. It’s been thrown in and out of my day pack in amongst towels and water and sunscreen, it’s up and flying a seconds and for what it is - produces amazing results.

Could I get better shots with an Inspire? Absolutely, but I’d need to double the length of my trip and pay muchos for excess baggage.

I’ve been flying my Mavic for a while now, and this trip has just reinforced why I love this drone.

the mav is a nice dji iv seen reviews. u should buy it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo