DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The BIG GNSS (GPS) Issue -- The Constructive Thread

So they've had 4 months trying to fix this and now say they've identified the problem.
They said that their previous firmware update would fix it.
But it will take another two months to fix it now.
At this point, you have to wonder if they are able to do anything about the problem.
If a mechanic gave me this runaround, I'd take the car to a different mechanic.
This is likely to buy them some time. They don’t have a fix ready. If they truly did, they would release it since it’s already been 4 months. The “high-latitude” bs is hilariously pathetic. Only eskimos having this problem?

• Haha
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I think “high latitude” is plausible. It could either get progressively worse as you get closer to the poles, or it could be a “cliff” where everyone north of a certain latitude is affected. Everyone could post their latitudes and if they’re affected and maybe it would corroborate this.

33N - no

I think “high latitude” is plausible. It could either get progressively worse as you get closer to the poles, or it could be a “cliff” where everyone north of a certain latitude is affected. Everyone could post their latitudes and if they’re affected and maybe it would corroborate this.

33N - no
If high latitude was the issue, we'd have had similar complaints from users of every other DJI drone in high latitudes - but we don't.
We do have plenty of M3 owners seeing the problem in mid-latitudes.
DJI are (usually) very good at designing and making drones, not so good at damage control communications.

If high latitude was the issue, we'd have had similar complaints from users of every other DJI drone in high latitudes - but we don't.
DJI are (usually) very good at designing and making drones, not so good at damage control communications.
high latitude is a BS answer... I am in Houston,Texas.

Bummer that high latitudes isn’t the answer.

M3 is unique in that it uses BeiDou instead of GLONASS and there’s certainly unique code to make that happen. .

34N I am affected . . . just two of us posted coordinates and it blows their high latitude theory to smelly mounds of excreted hay from horses . . .

• Angry
Reactions: oztx and VenomXts
34N I am affected . . . just two of us posted coordinates and it blows their high latitude theory to smelly mounds of excreted hay from horses . . .
I am at the bottom of the world so mine won't count

I am at the bottom of the world so mine won't count
It doesn't matter . . . it isn't high latitude locations. It's everywhere.

Reactions: Suren and Meta4
So they've had 4 months trying to fix this and now say they've identified the problem.
They said that their previous firmware update would fix it.
But it will take another two months to fix it now.
At this point, you have to wonder if they are able to do anything about the problem.
If a mechanic gave me this runaround, I'd take the car to a different mechanic.
Car Mech... normally it's not the Tech... just poor product!
Since the '80's poor manufacturering & quality issues; if a Dealership had a repeating issue, 3 times same repair. Customer could apply the "Lemmon Law" and return vehicle for exchange or refund.

I was a GM Master Tech, Instructor & ASE Full Certified back in 80's and it was a big concern for Dealership to fix and avoid Lemmon law. It was a major issue to avoid by both Dealership and Manufacturer, and it played a role in improving production.

Customer rarely wanted to exchange, wanted a refund. In today's environment of advanced electronics... similar should be applied, it gets the Manufacturer's attention quickly.

That said, I'll anxiously wait for the update. This one "sounds" more promising! Verbiage is more acknowledging problem.

It is the other way around, it only works in high latitudes!

High latitudes are found between 60 degrees N/S and the poles (90 degrees N/S): Alaska; Canada; Scandinavia; northern parts of the United Kingdom; New Zealand and southernmost Australia.

High latitudes are found between 60 degrees N/S and the poles (90 degrees N/S): Alaska; Canada; Scandinavia; northern parts of the United Kingdom; New Zealand and southernmost Australia.
Australia and New Zealand don't even reach to 50° South and the northernmost islands of Great Britain only just reach 60° North.

Just a quick update to say that after running the latest firmware for the past few weeks, I'm pretty happy with the GPS performance at this point. It's not going to win any prizes but it does the job and the wait times are reasonable.

After FW update this weekend... cold power on... did drop from 5-8+ minutes to 3+ min. Obtained 9 sats in 2 minutes, but didn't complete and remove screen warning until 3+ minutes with 13 sats.

While flying first battery, it ended up showing 20-22 sats.
Battery swap, was less than 1 minute to have GPS.

In my opinion, still not a suitable correction. Waiting for next upcomming FW update and with the progression made in last few FW updates, I'm optimistic next one will hit the mark!

In comparison to previous Mavic series, Inspire 2, and M210...I never really noticed a GPS issue. It was power on, and by the time I stepped through various screen touches... it was ready to Go!

My other comparison is with my Yuneec H520 & H480... they have consistently been slow or problematic on RC & GPS. The M3 is more akin to Yuneec startup... which made it unpopular.

Just a quick update to say that after running the latest firmware for the past few weeks, I'm pretty happy with the GPS performance at this point. It's not going to win any prizes but it does the job and the wait times are reasonable.

Are you using .600 or a beta?

I doubt he is using any beta. He's a very busy professional, and no professional would use any beta on production equipment.
my GPS fix is... takeoff when it's a weak GPS with an altitude limit of 98ft. Fly to an area where a strong GPS will lock right away... then continue flying. (this will only work in certain areas like where I fly my drone most of the time.)

my GPS fix is... takeoff when it's a weak GPS with an altitude limit of 98ft. Fly to an area where a strong GPS will lock right away
There's no such place ... it just takes time for the Mavic 3 to acquire GPS, no matter what altitude or the location.
... then continue flying. (this will only work in certain areas like where I fly my drone most of the time.)
If you do this, you really need to reset your home point to the controller's location when the drone does get GPS.

There's no such place ... it just takes time for the Mavic 3 to acquire GPS, no matter what altitude or the location.

If you do this, you really need to reset your home point to the controller's location when the drone does get GPS.
it does it automatically and if I can't get there in time I do it manual like you said. I am an expert with this procedure and maybe I didn't explain it to you well. I have to pick my wife up... maybe later.. thanks.

I thought we agreed that GPS acquisition will potentially occur faster at a higher elevation like 98 feet above the RC, avoiding nearby ground obstructions that might slow it down.

Last time I took off without a HP, I tried to reset the HP to the location of the RC-Pro, once it was acquired while underway, but the Fly app on the RC-Pro refused to do so, claiming location services needed to be enabled, but they already were, which I reconfirmed in Settings. I was also still connected to home wifi. I could not reset the HP, using the RC-Pro, to anywhere other than the aircraft location, or somewhere very near the moving aircraft. Trying to drag it on the map to my location resulted in another bizarre error message about being more than 2 meters away, or something to that effect. It was a nightmare flight, as while flying back, all the distance telemetry was going negative instead of towards zero, making accurate calculations of remaining distance to myself impossible!

Must be a bug in the RC-Pro FW and Fly app!
Don't leave home without a HP setting on the RC-Pro!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan