DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The BIG GNSS (GPS) Issue -- The Constructive Thread

Both in Washington (all around Seattle) state and in Florida (Miami and Orlando), GPS acquisition was garbage even with the latest firmware - up to 10 minutes. Went to Hawaii with the very same drone and was getting perfect GPS signal in less than 1 minute.

I thought we agreed that GPS acquisition will potentially occur faster at a higher elevation like 98 feet above the RC, avoiding nearby ground obstructions that might slow it down.
Climbing to height can only help if it gets the drone clear of obstacles that block the skyview.
But the M3 can have very poor satellite acquisition even when launched from a clear open position.
Apart from clearing nearby obstacles, there's nothing about climbing to height that would improve GPS acquisition.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
my GPS fix is... takeoff when it's a weak GPS with an altitude limit of 98ft. Fly to an area where a strong GPS will lock right away... then continue flying. (this will only work in certain areas like where I fly my drone most of the time.)
I've done that, too. Let it set the HP while underway nearby. Just don't try to change the HP to the location of the RC-Pro. A bug won't let you, and setting it to the aircraft isn't helpful unless flying from a moving boat. Let it acquire itself close enough nearby to you that you can easily fly it back by VLOS once it gets to that nearby HP!

Last edited:
Reactions: UAVquadman
Climbing to height can only help if it gets the drone clear of obstacles that block the skyview.
But the M3 can have very poor satellite acquisition even when launched from a clear open position.
Apart from clearing nearby obstacles, there's nothing about climbing to height that would improve GPS acquisition.
Understood. Just wanted to clarify that it can't hurt, and can be very helpful if there are any nearby obstacles that can interfere, including your own body standing next to the drone in a tight space.

Both in Washington (all around Seattle) state and in Florida (Miami and Orlando), GPS acquisition was garbage even with the latest firmware - up to 10 minutes. Went to Hawaii with the very same drone and was getting perfect GPS signal in less than 1 minute.
Must have been the "high latitudes!" 🤣
Or is it "high" (those with the greatest cannabis consumption) latitudes? ;)
Didn't realize that Floridians consumed that much cannabis, and that HI was also cannabis free! Seattle I understand.

I've done that, too. Let it set the HP while underway nearby. Just don't try to change the HP to the location of the RC-Pro. A bug won't let you, and setting it to the aircraft isn't helpful unless flying from a moving boat. Let it acquire itself close enough nearby to you that you can easily fly it back by VLOS once it gets to that nearby HP!
it's a no brainer for me because of the field I fly from. in fact I am just about to takeoff! my Mavic 3. thanks

• Love
Reactions: TonyPHX
So yesterday's cold start with .600 on M3 was 1 minute, 37 seconds. Which was actually pretty darn acceptable. I did nothing different, so it's just all how the signals propagated.

Purchased the 3 about a week ago. I’ve flown 3 times so far. Each time more than a day apart, so cold starts (and in different locations with one 30 miles away).
I didn’t even notice or track how long it got the HP established because I was fiddling with the Pro controller and I heard it say it. Today, it had been 3 days since flying and farthest away from before. I did pay more attention today and it was less than a minute. About 45 seconds. Ironically nothing too noticeably different than the original Mavic pro. We will see how or if that changes….

Purchased the 3 about a week ago. I’ve flown 3 times so far. Each time more than a day apart, so cold starts (and in different locations with one 30 miles away).
I didn’t even notice or track how long it got the HP established because I was fiddling with the Pro controller and I heard it say it. Today, it had been 3 days since flying and farthest away from before. I did pay more attention today and it was less than a minute. About 45 seconds. Ironically nothing too noticeably different than the original Mavic pro. We will see how or if that changes….
One more thing. When I first turned on, it was on .300. I upgraded directly to 600 via Assistant 2 then did an immediate refresh as well. With the controller as well.

it's a no brainer for me because of the field I fly from. in fact I am just about to takeoff! my Mavic 3. thanks
The above scenario was a rare exception to promptly acquiring a HP. The only mistake I made was trying to change the HP it set nearby while underway. Leave it alone, and deal with it! Setting it to the aircraft location, when it wouldn't set it to the RC location, only made it worse!

There 'should' be a new FW update this week,

Please let us know if this happens, and does it reduce the lock time even more?

I've been flying very frequently to expand my photography skills and portfolio, and I've gotten use to the TTHP. Although there was one recent situation where the sunset was spectacular (I did not plan for it), and I decided to not even bother trying. It's feels that I'm averaging 90 seconds, but I'm not doing formal timings.

Can somebody explain what dji doing wit this new firmware?? I hawe enough this *tup*d waiting. 2100€ Drone that doesent work more that half year. I can fly my old drone in one minute wit this new one i must wait 10 minutes or more! They should recal all selling drones and costumers giwe what we pay for!!
That is not normal!

If they cannot fix this drone for 6 months there must be a way to return drone for get monney back!! Bacous drone is not as should be.

Thanx

Anyone with closer communications with DJI have any update on the pending FW Update. I think it's exceeded it's estimated time frame to release... which is OK if time is needed to complete the update.

Checking if any new news or release estimate?

Patiently waiting for this. My cold startup times outdoors are still about 4-5 minutes.

When did the GPS issues start happening? I'm on FW300 and seem to get a lock on ithin about a minute or so? That's on cold start. Seems well within acceptable time..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242