DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro The Biltmore Hotel-Coral Gables,Florida

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
The Biltmore Hotel has a storied history. The Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables wasn't always a hotel.

It was built in 1926 by a young developer named George Merrick, who's now known as the founder of Coral Gables. Coral Gables is an upscale Miami city, with strict zoning , including Mediterranean styled homes.

The hotel became a place to host glamorous fashion shows, galas, golf tournaments and water shows in what was then the largest pool in the world.

At a loud party on the 13th floor of the hotel, a gangster named Thomas "Fatty" Walsh was shot and killed by another gangster. That murder yielded a lot of ghost rumors over the years.

Then World War II happened and the federal government transformed the Biltmore into a military hospital. Once the war was over, it continued being a hospital for veterans. In 1952, the University of Miami made the Biltmore its first home, because the Biltmore had been a veteran's hospital and a medical school.

In 1983, Coral Gables put $55 million into renovating the Biltmore. The hotel reopened in 1987 and was restored to glory, and is now an upscale hotel, golf course, and spa.

Ten years later, the Biltmore was added to the National Registry of Historic Places.

Tech Information:
The production of this film was made using the following; DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone, 16 ND filter, Nikon D750 camera with 28-300mm,f/3.5-5.6 lens, Really Right Stuff Tripod, DJI Osmo Pocket video, DJI Osmo Action Camera, DJI Osmo Action Gimbal and Apple XI Pro Max iPhone. The film was edited with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop CC2021 and the timelapses developed with LRTimelapse5 and Lightroom. Timelapse intervals were 3 seconds.

Well done. The history behind the place made the video even more interesting. Nice use of various forms of photography.

The Biltmore Hotel has a storied history. The Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables wasn't always a hotel.

It was built in 1926 by a young developer named George Merrick, who's now known as the founder of Coral Gables. Coral Gables is an upscale Miami city, with strict zoning , including Mediterranean styled homes.

The hotel became a place to host glamorous fashion shows, galas, golf tournaments and water shows in what was then the largest pool in the world.

At a loud party on the 13th floor of the hotel, a gangster named Thomas "Fatty" Walsh was shot and killed by another gangster. That murder yielded a lot of ghost rumors over the years.

Then World War II happened and the federal government transformed the Biltmore into a military hospital. Once the war was over, it continued being a hospital for veterans. In 1952, the University of Miami made the Biltmore its first home, because the Biltmore had been a veteran's hospital and a medical school.

In 1983, Coral Gables put $55 million into renovating the Biltmore. The hotel reopened in 1987 and was restored to glory, and is now an upscale hotel, golf course, and spa.

Ten years later, the Biltmore was added to the National Registry of Historic Places.

Tech Information:
The production of this film was made using the following; DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone, 16 ND filter, Nikon D750 camera with 28-300mm,f/3.5-5.6 lens, Really Right Stuff Tripod, DJI Osmo Pocket video, DJI Osmo Action Camera, DJI Osmo Action Gimbal and Apple XI Pro Max iPhone. The film was edited with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop CC2021 and the timelapses developed with LRTimelapse5 and Lightroom. Timelapse intervals were 3 seconds.

Very nice and thanks for the history.

I might have skipped the photo of the egret as it was shot vertical.

Very nice and thanks for the history.

I might have skipped the photo of the egret as it was shot vertical.
I actually thought about that! I rarely shoot anything vertical but the bird was so vertical I felt compelled.

Reactions: Tentoes
Great video Dale and made even better by telling the background history
of the Hotel. Thanks Dale.

Heck of an effort you've put in there Dale and it has well and truly paid off.
Nicely documented and not bad for a small hotel eh.

Heck of an effort you've put in there Dale and it has well and truly paid off.
Nicely documented and not bad for a small hotel eh.
Yes but it's a labor of love. For example, each timelapse (there were at least 5) took 250 exposures with interval of 3 seconds, so you are talking about 13 minutes to shoot each timelapse, multiplied x 5 times lapses. Thus, 5 x 13=65 minutes of shooting. Processing of each timelapse takes about 30 minutes. Etc. I would estimate the computer time was about 8 hours.

Yes but it's a labor of love. For example, each timelapse (there were at least 5) took 250 exposures with interval of 3 seconds, so you are talking about 13 minutes to shoot each timelapse, multiplied x 5 times lapses. Thus, 5 x 13=65 minutes of shooting. Processing of each timelapse takes about 30 minutes. Etc. I would estimate the computer time was about 8 hours.
Now that is dedication and perseverance that I am not sure I have. The end result you have was certainly worth it though and maybe a good excuse for a new computer.

My history with the Biltmore started in 1960 as a student at the U. I have been back since to see the restoration which is simple amazing.
Nice job.

Nice and thanks for sharing.

My history with the Biltmore started in 1960 as a student at the U. I have been back since to see the restoration which is simple amazing.
Nice job.
I'd like to add this image to the mix. I did not put it into the video because of time constraints. This is the lobby of the Biltmore Hotel.Biltmore Lobby.jpg

Tech Information:

Well done. Adding the background information on the subject makes the video more interesting and lets the viewer understand what the video is about.

Well done. Adding the background information on the subject makes the video more interesting and lets the viewer understand what the video is about.
Thank so much. Appreciate your comments!
Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S