DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The day I became a hero :}

Irish-apple

Reactions
living in Ireland ..

the last few days I been working so no flights beautiful weather though

today thursday the 31st im off work off I go towards the beach / coast to catch some views of coastline and cliffs etc ..
brought my dog a springer spaniel I was there 2 min and she decided be a great idea to jump in a huge mud field so cleaned her off and drove to main area ..

could hear the beep beep beep of a low battery my craft was not even unpacked

looks up seen a mavic looked around seen a guy there walked over had a quick chat he landed the mavic we said our hellos etc and introduced ourselves for a sec and wished each other well

I headed back to car about 100 meters from him

unpacked / calibrated / checked sensors / checked battery / home point etc

put up mavic checked all around me brought it to just under 80 ft and off I flew once leisure pace

11 min later maybe I could hear a person running towards me .. can you help please pal my drone has lost connection

checked his controller he was using a Sony phone in it .. drone showed 3202 meters away and 143meters up I looked at him and asked what are you doing that far out and up that high ??

his face said it all I swear he was about 2 seconds away from tears so I said calm !

look relax give me the controller and I check it upon getting the controller I asked are you flying long ?/

got it yesterday was the answer I was like FFS another one so I said fine

checked the drone no response .. remember mine was in the air still so I hit rth on my drone and took his controller

no response from drone / reconnected app / nothing / checked the cable / nothing / asked did he set a return to home point he asked what was that ? I said never mind I knew where this was going !

hit nth and waited about 5 min I could see the last place drone was and screen wasnt changing

then I could hear mine coming him got mine in sight left his controller down manual landed mine .,. back to his 2 min later I could hear the buzz from his but so high nothing in sight

switched off rth and took control listening to the buzz either getting further away or closer and used that then got it spotted and got it back to landing point with 10% battery though I seen a tear in his eye thanked me a million times and gave me his number etc last thing I said was

R T F M

nice guy
long story but a true one

where is the heroism here? I expected you would say that you caught his mavic with your mavic, and then towed it back home.

Wow, good job!
I can only hope that once he changed his pants he decides that drone flying is probably not for him. Or that he's too scared to fly out of VLOS for the rest of his life.
Another victim of the misleading DJI campaigns. 'Anyone can fly, it's flying itself, no skills required'. It gives first timers the feeling that they can just take it out of the box and fly. Many don't even know that the manual is online for download. They don't see a paper manual in the box so they conclude that it is all self explanatory through the app.

Well, your skills and attitude were the only thing that saved him, not DJI.
Kudos!

Reactions: Irish-apple
Wow, good job!
I can only hope that once he changed his pants he decides that drone flying is probably not for him. Or that he's too scared to fly out of VLOS for the rest of his life.
Another victim of the misleading DJI campaigns. 'Anyone can fly, it's flying itself, no skills required'. It gives first timers the feeling that they can just take it out of the box and fly. Many don;t even know that the manual is online for download. They don't see a paper manual in the box so they conclude that it is all self explanatory thru the app.

Well, your skills and attitude were the only thing that saved him, not DJI.
Kudos!
excellently put into words buddy

Reactions: Lake_Flyer
Nice one indeed! I can imagine the slight frustration when you hear one's negligence toward knowing the craft and using it. But props for having the quad returned. Had you not intervened it would have most likely been a coral reef by now.

Nice one indeed! I can imagine the slight frustration when you hear one's negligence toward knowing the craft and using it. But props for having the quad returned. Had you not intervened it would have most likely been a coral reef by now.
I actually debated weather to kill the props over the sea and saw sorry it lost power lol

Reactions: MrRobville
where is the heroism here? I expected you would say that you caught his mavic with your mavic, and then towed it back home.
This unfortunate ignorant guy will see him as a hero and for good reason. This is one experience he will never forget. The universe was so kind to have Irish-apple standing by. He should decide to buy a lottery ticket today before his luck runs out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada