DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

THE DREADED GYMBLE

Andy Mac 230

Reactions
We have all done it and I’m sure that there are loads more that are lined up waiting to do it. The dreaded power up with the gymble restraint still attached Or worse still getting airborne with it still fitted. I have seen many posts on here about fitting “Remove before flight or similar flags” However the damage starts when you connect the RC to the aircraft! So how about belt and braces? Next to the RC on/off button add a sticker that just says GYMBLE ?? Hopefully to remind you to remove it. And if you have missed that use the flag.. I worked for a company where our 737 got airborne with the undercarriage lock pins in. Quick flight around the airport dump fuel and then taxi in to remove said pins with big REMOVE-BEFORE FLIGHT flags...the crew had missed it...the dispatcher had missed it...the see off crew had missed it..and ATC had missed it..so don’t beat yourself up about GYMBLE restraints but do try to remind yourself before it becomes and expensive mistake.
Stay and fly safe

Reactions: Prismatic
Got ya. Remove gimbal protector . Been there done that.?

Reactions: Gindra and Rockycat
I’ve forgotten to remove mine before.. took off, got about 30ft up then realised what I’d done.. landed straight away and removed the cover with no harm done..
I think the problem would come if you don’t realise soon enough then no doubt you’re in serious risk of burning out the gimble motors..

The idea of a sticker on the controller is good, I’ll do that myself[emoji106]

On of the rare benefits of the (original) MA's otherwise inane design is that you have to pick it up and flip it upside down to turn it on. From time to time , I have found myself noticing that the gimbal cover was still in place while turning over the drone to power it up and this has saved me more times than I am willing to admit. So yeah, if you don't actually notice the presence of the gimbal cover while powering up the AC, I wonder how you are powering it up? Genuine question.

EDIT: I thought this was posted in the MA1 section and I had, incorrectly, assumed OP was talking about the MA1. So apologies and disregard the last question.

I cursed myself for printing it... but my pre-flight checklist works every time... thankfully I've not laminated it as I keep adding bits!

A5 size fits in the combo case perfectly ;)

I’ve forgotten to remove mine before.. took off, got about 30ft up then realised what I’d done.. landed straight away and removed the cover with no harm done..
I’m sure it’s in previous threads, but this may be of benefit to newer flyers reading this post, like me: If you inadvertently take off with the gimbal cover on, then land and remove it, should you power-cycle your drone or calibrate the gimbal? Or are you okay to just take off again?

We have all done it and I’m sure that there are loads more that are lined up waiting to do it. The dreaded power up with the gymble restraint still attached Or worse still getting airborne with it still fitted. I have seen many posts on here about fitting “Remove before flight or similar flags” However the damage starts when you connect the RC to the aircraft! So how about belt and braces? Next to the RC on/off button add a sticker that just says GYMBLE ?? Hopefully to remind you to remove it. And if you have missed that use the flag.. I worked for a company where our 737 got airborne with the undercarriage lock pins in. Quick flight around the airport dump fuel and then taxi in to remove said pins with big REMOVE-BEFORE FLIGHT flags...the crew had missed it...the dispatcher had missed it...the see off crew had missed it..and ATC had missed it..so don’t beat yourself up about GYMBLE restraints but do try to remind yourself before it becomes and expensive mistake.
Stay and fly safe
I glued a foot-long ribbon onto the gimbal cover. I've never forgotten since!

• Haha
Reactions: Lurch003
I glued a foot-long ribbon onto the gimbal cover. I've never forgotten since!
That is a great idea! Since I got my Mini less than 2 months ago I think I've started it up at least half a dozen time with the cover still on. I don't think a foot long ribbon is needed, but a few inches of bright red ribbon will probably do the trick.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks