DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Evo 2 8k/ Zoom ?

EddieOi352

Reactions
Hello All,
My name is Ed & I'm new to the forum. I'm the proud owner of a Spark & a MM. They're first drones. (only been outside with the MM, not the Spark) But, prior to this I flew R/C nitro helicopters for approx. 4yrs. I've read a great deal of the other post here and they have been very informative to my intro into this drone world.

Now I know that this may not be the right forum for this question, but here goes.

Prior to the Spark & MM purchases, I had been looking at the Mavic 2 Zoom. (for a while) I like the zoom feature as well as some of the other many features it offers. But, now I've become somewhat infatuated with the Evo 2 8k, due to it having even more features than M2 Zoom. The only thing that I'm unsure about if it has the zoom capability. My question through the intro & long story is, does the Evo 2 8k have the zoom feature?

Thank you in advance, Ed.

Hello All,
My name is Ed & I'm new to the forum. I'm the proud owner of a Spark & a MM. They're first drones. (only been outside with the MM, not the Spark) But, prior to this I flew R/C nitro helicopters for approx. 4yrs. I've read a great deal of the other post here and they have been very informative to my intro into this drone world.

Now I know that this may not be the right forum for this question, but here goes.

Prior to the Spark & MM purchases, I had been looking at the Mavic 2 Zoom. (for a while) I like the zoom feature as well as some of the other many features it offers. But, now I've become somewhat infatuated with the Evo 2 8k, due to it having even more features than M2 Zoom. The only thing that I'm unsure about if it has the zoom capability. My question through the intro & long story is, does the Evo 2 8k have the zoom feature?

Thank you in advance, Ed.
Wich brand are you asking for?

Good question...

I believe that the only camera module thats out in peoples hands is the 8K, 1/2" sensor, so this is mainly regarding that unit.

Anyone know if the 3 Evo II camera modules offer digital zoom like Evo I?

If so:
- Is it 8x as well?
- Does the 8K cameras (1/2" sensor) capabiity make that 'zoom' footage, close to 2x better, in quality, than the 4K Evo I, SOOC, (trying to not factor in that all components in the Evo 2 are of newer design)?

In theory:
- Would the 6K camera (with its 1" sensor) offer sharper detail than its 1/2" sensor little brother?

IIRC, the 640 Boson FLIR module offers very sharp detail compared to any of the lepton sensors
(ie: M2Enterprise Dual).
- Do you think a digital zoom would be of usable quality (for eyesight, not cinematic footage)?

Reactions: EddieOi352
Consider if you have the capability to see the better picture with 8k. Is your pc screen with that? Or your tv? Otherwise it’s no use.

Reactions: DDS
Consider if you have the capability to see the better picture with 8k. Is your pc screen with that? Or your tv? Otherwise it’s no use.
Yes, I agree for the most part, however I have read about a few advantages, mostly to do with the ability to punch in during post.

I dont usually do much post-production, beside trimming and some color grading, so that is why Im quite curious to know if, say a 2x zoom on the 8K, 24mm focal length camera would be similar to approx a 4K, 48mm focal length cameras image resolution.

I may have my values a bit off, but I hope you see what I'm getting at. Using the 'zoom' of the 8K to have an approx 4K recording at a longer focal length

Thanks Jzilla80.
essentially that’s what I’m asking.
Yeah, I knew that, just wanted to add a few more questions.

I noticed above you mentioned the M2Zoom. I currently use this AC. I dont have any other AC to compare that offers optical or digital zoom, but I will mention that on the M2Z, when using the 2x optical zoom, you will go from an f2.8 to a f3.8, so the image will get darker. I've not found a way to counter this change in exposure, that keeps the image the same (unnoticeable change in exposure). I always see the stepping back up, so theres that.

Also, with the 1080p 4X (2x optical + 2x digital) 'lossless' zoom, I do notice a decrease in image quality from 48mm to 96mm focal lengths, which is the digital zoom. 24 - 48mm is the optical.

I hope that Autel thought of this in their 'lossless zoom' We'll see.

Thought I'd mention it since your comparing them. I'd go with the Evo 2 if they wouldve came out at the same time.
DJI is just a pain to deal with sometimes.

Reactions: EddieOi352
Yeah, I knew that, just wanted to add a few more questions.

I noticed above you mentioned the M2Zoom. I currently use this AC. I dont have any other AC to compare that offers optical or digital zoom, but I will mention that on the M2Z, when using the 2x optical zoom, you will go from an f2.8 to a f3.8, so the image will get darker. I've not found a way to counter this change in exposure, that keeps the image the same (unnoticeable change in exposure). I always see the stepping back up, so theres that.

Also, with the 1080p 4X (2x optical + 2x digital) 'lossless' zoom, I do notice a decrease in image quality from 48mm to 96mm focal lengths, which is the digital zoom. 24 - 48mm is the optical.

I hope that Autel thought of this in their 'lossless zoom' We'll see.

Thought I'd mention it since your comparing them. I'd go with the Evo 2 if they wouldve came out at the same time.
DJI is just a pain to deal with sometimes.

Thank you very much

ANAFI – Lossless zoom technology

ANAFI’s innovative imaging system technology enables you to zoom up to 2.8x without losses in 1080p and up to 1.4x in 4K. Learn all about ANAFI’s unique lossless digital zoom in this article.
What is a lossless digital zoom?
By definition, lossless zoom means that no loss in the quality of the image will occur when scaling it up.
Let’s start by explaining how a standard digital zoom works. The close-up effect is created artificially by scaling up the pixels of an image after it has been taken. The image is cropped down to a centered area with the same aspect ratio as the original. By doing this, each pixel is enlarged and therefore the quality is downgraded.
Lossless digital zoom works in exactly the same way. However, the difference comes from the number of native pixels shot: lossless digital zoom will capture many more pixels than the final definition of the picture.
In ANAFI, the 21MP sensor can capture the stills of a video with more pixels than required to record in 1080p or in 4K, so the image processor can crop these images to scale them up without degrading the quality.
Mission-2_1200x800px

Fig 1. ANAFI’s sensor size compared to 4K
The processor interpolates the pixels contained in the scaled-up output image. Using this oversampling technique, we can maintain the pixels of the displayed image at the same size as the sensor pixel one even after it has been cropped and resized.
zoom sans pert 1

Fig 2. Lossless zoom (x2): interpolation of pixels to keep them at the same size

What is the difference between an optical and a lossless digital zoom?
Optical and digital zooms are quite different. In the former, the enlargement is achieved mechanically by moving the glass elements inside the lens, in order to reach a higher focal length. All the magnification is done using the lenses, therefore the image projected by the sensor is scaled up by the optical lenses, without any loss in quality.
On the other hand, a digital zoom is achieved without any mechanical action inside the lens. Contrary to the heavy, cumbersome and fragile optical systems, a lossless digital zoom can be accomplished smoothly and very quickly, with no impact on the focus, allowing you to create amazing effects like Dolly Zoom. It is the ideal solution for a small, compact and lightweight drone, and offers the same quality as an optical zoom.
How do you estimate the maximum lossless zoom value?
Let’s do some math here !
The accurate estimation of the lossless zoom value takes into account the number of pixels of the image sensor, as well as the magnification and distortion of the lens.
With the camera design of ANAFI, the minimal zoom value (1x, which means no zoom) for 4K UHD corresponds to one pixel displayed on a 2-pixel area on the image sensor, as shown on figure 4. Let’s call TS the surface of a sensor pixel, and Ti the surface of the image pixel. We can then easily write equation (1).
Mission-4_1200x800px

Fig 4. Comparaison entre la taille d’un pixel du capteur et la taille d’un pixel image, pour une image 4K sans zoom.
zoom sans perte 10

As explained in this article, a lossless zoom means that the quality of the image remains constant even after the image has been zoomed in. The maximal lossless zoom factor is defined in the center of the image and corresponds to the configuration for which one pixel of the final image (displayed pixel) occupies the surface of one pixel of the image sensor (cf. figure 5).
zoom sans perte 4

Fig 5. Comparaison entre la taille d’un pixel du capteur et la taille d’un pixel image, pour une image 4K avec la valeur maximale de zoom sans perte.
Let’s call Z the zoom factor and Pi’ the surface of a pixel of the image after it has been zoomed in. We have then the following equation:
zoom sans perte 11

We’re searching the maximum value of Z to get a lossless zoom, which is reached when the size of the image pixel Pi’ equals the size of the sensor pixel Ps:
zoom sans perte 12

By combining the previous equations (1), (2) and (3), we can obtain the value of Z:
zoom sans perte 13

zoom sans perte 14

For the 1080p format (2.1 MP), an image contains 4 times less pixels than a 4K UHD image (8.3 MP). This means that one image pixel in 1080p occupies 4 times more surface than the 4K image pixel. Instead of having an image pixel size that covers 2 sensor pixels, one 1080p image pixel occupies 8 sensor pixels, in other words:
zoom sans perte 15

By developing the same calculations as earlier, we can find the maximum lossless zoom factor for 1080p, which is:
zoom sans perte 16

These calculations prove that lossless zoom is the perfect technology for your footage, always maintaining optimum quality no matter where you are.
How can I use this new feature?
The zoom offers plenty of new perspectives. You will be able to record crystal-clear shots of subjects in the distance without moving your drone.
It’s the perfect solution if you want to zoom in on an animal you see outdoors. In the following photos, we zoomed in on a lama with ANAFI. The quality of the second image is as clear as the first.
lama 1

lama 2

Zoom out and you can see the stunning backdrop in its entirety. In the photos below, ANAFI zoomed out on an eagle, revealing the mountain on which the exquisite bird was sitting on.
aigle

aigle 2

Let your creativity run wild, by producing videos like cinema professionals! The zoom can help achieve great shots with cinematic effects. Either automatically, with the Dolly Zoom effect, or manually if you’re an accomplished pilot. Once you master all the piloting commands, you will be able to fly the drone in all directions while zooming in or out using the ergonomic Parrot Skycontroller 3.
Last but not least, you can always use the zoom capabilities of ANAFI to save battery life. From the air, you can zoom in on various areas to check which are the most flight-worthy, instead of flying there and back.

Reactions: brandon 1
Digital zoom works fine, depending on the ratios between the end resolution and the beginning resolution. If that ratio is less than 1, there will be minimal losses. Greater than 1 is lossy.

The size of an image sensor dimensions doesn’t have a lot of impact on image resolution which is determined by the pixel count. It makes a big difference to the amount of digital noise present in the image. This noise artifact is magnified by increased ISO use. The DJI sensors are particularly poor with noise.

2F8E0CE4-DDAE-429E-BB2F-A4EE5BC768BF.jpegI didn’t think the 8K had the zoom but apparently it does feature 4x zoom according to Autel’s website.

Consider the computer that will be required to play the 8k images. They are 4x bigger, and many computers struggle with 4K. The new Mac Pro is designed for this size video, but in most configurations is at least $8,000.

None of the Autel Evo II series drones have a zoom, it's just a digital crop. It's possible to digitally crop footage from the Mavic 2 Zoom just as much so it will always be able to zoom further and its 2x zoom is a proper zoom with no loss in quality.

The claim of a lossless zoom is highly misleading because it assumes all pixels are equal and that if they've enough to produce a 4K video then that's all that matters. However that's not true since there's as lot more to image quality than pixel count which is why bigger cameras with larger sensors can offer much better image quality. The digital zoom is not lossless because you are throwing away a good chunk of the sensor and that's already a very, very small sensor. You can get away with aggressive crops on large sensors because even then you still have a much larger effective sensor area but when you're taking a tiny sensor and cropping it tightly, you're going to have reduced image quality especially compared to a mechanical zoom.

A2x zoom doesn’t match an 8k sensor. You would need a 4x zoom to do that. I don’t know about the evo sensor, but normally small pixel sensors only suffer from signal to noise problems, especially at higher ISOs. Their resolution and color are generally pretty good.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dtcexpress1