DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The FAA is serious, Don't be that Guy...

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
"not maintaining visual line of sight with the aircraft at all times"
from the $18,200 fine.
That's quite an important point to note in that charge.
But it wasn't the only charge related to the fine:

"$18,200 against a person who operated an unregistered drone during the weekend of the Miami Grand Prix, a Formula 1 event, on May 7, 2022 in Florida. The operator disregarded a temporary flight restriction (TFR) and several FAA regulations, including operating in Class D airspace without prior authorization, not maintaining visual line of sight with the aircraft at all times and operating without a Remote Pilot Certificate."

Another person had a $5000 fine that also included failure to maintain VLS. One important thing to remember is that these are proposed fines and can be reduced under negotiated legal procedures. But the bottom line is if you play stupid games you may not like the outcome.

"not maintaining visual line of sight with the aircraft at all times"
from the $18,200 fine.
That's quite an important point to note in that charge.
I have noticed many droners with goggles do not have someone as a visual observer. I would think 'technically', they are flying BVLS as soon as they take off. If true, is the FAA addressing this?

Just curious what dollar amounts of the imposed fines, did the FAA actually collect from any of the violators?

Reactions: LoudThunder
I have noticed many droners with goggles do not have someone as a visual observer. I would think 'technically', they are flying BVLS as soon as they take off. If true, is the FAA addressing this?

It is an explicit FAA requirement that FPV drone operators have a visual observer.

Just curious what dollar amounts of the imposed fines, did the FAA actually collect from any of the violators?
The Enforcement Division initiates civil penalty actions under the statutory authority cited in 14 C.F.R. § 13.14 or § 13.18. The FAA has authority to issue orders assessing a civil penalty of up to $400,000 against persons other than individuals and small business concerns and up to $50,000 against individuals and small business concerns.

However, I imagine that each and every violation is treated individually, so the fines can rake up well beyond the $50K…

But as you notice, the Key Words here are, "Civil Penalty;: however, where the FAA legal staff determines it is appropriate, possible violations of the Federal Aviation Act of 1958 or the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act are referred to the Department of Justice for criminal prosecution.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...for each,individual or small business concern.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
If the US is anything like Canada, I'm sure federal penalties and fines can simply be tacked on to your taxes. So if you thought you were getting a refund in some future year, guess again.

The Enforcement Division initiates civil penalty actions under the statutory authority cited in 14 C.F.R. § 13.14 or § 13.18. The FAA has authority to issue orders assessing a civil penalty of up to $400,000 against persons other than individuals and small business concerns and up to $50,000 against individuals and small business concerns.

However, I imagine that each and every violation is treated individually, so the fines can rake up well beyond the $50K…

But as you notice, the Key Words here are, "Civil Penalty;: however, where the FAA legal staff determines it is appropriate, possible violations of the Federal Aviation Act of 1958 or the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act are referred to the Department of Justice for criminal prosecution.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/enforcement/enforcement_actions#:~:text=Generally, the penalty for each,individual or small business concern.
I don't think the FAA gets anywhere near the full fine imposed. Heck, speeding violators get a reduced fine in court based on the ability to pay. Same with our Internal Revenue Service, if you owe back taxes plus interest, the IRS reduces it based upon evidence on the ability to pay. In short, the government will take what they can actually get.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Well, this is interesting. Not FAA but a similar government regulatory agency with airspace oversight on drones. Personally, I think they got it right.

Read the article: A man has been sentence for air navigation offences

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Drone Pilot CAUGHT Flying at 12,000 Feet! Guilty!​

The thing is Pud you made it sound like that what the main fine was for. In all likely hood if you have your trust and are legal in all way s except for flying BYVS you most likely will not get any fine. Probably, would never be reported.
That was not the intention.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluffman2