DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The FAA trust recreational test is finally here.

Did you see my other post after that?
Yeah but you were answering another person's question so it's great you did it anyway but that doesn't fix that you gave someone bad information.

I don't think that makes me a Karen. I didn't like report you to the FAA.

Yeah but you were answering another person's question so it's great you did it anyway but that doesn't fix that you gave someone bad information.

I don't think that makes me a Karen. I didn't like report you to the FAA.
Sorry I misread the info on the FAA site. If you keep reading, someone else thought the same thing. Happy to be singled out. Thanks and have a nice day.

A question about this occurred to me this morning. Suppose I recruit someone to be my Designated Observer. Also suppose that they just observe the aircraft, and never fly it.

Does my DO need to be TRUSTed, under those conditions?

TCS
I don't see anything RE: the DO - It wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's required.

You can fly for any reason you like under Part 107, including recreationally. You just can't fly under the recreational exemption from Part 107 (Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft) without taking this test.
I believe we agree - the test needs to be taken.

I used the boy scouts of america. I am deeply amused that the confirmation number is BSOA#########

Huh. Mine was EASY#########. And the test was EASY. Coincidence?

I swear one of the questions was:

If you're flying recreationally, you are

A. not flying for work, pay or a business
B. The Three Stooges
C. a Christmas tree

I didn't try to answer wrong, but I think if you answer wrong, it won't let you go to the next question until you guess the correct answer.

Reactions: Prop Wash
Probably, but just to be completely clear - it needs to be taken to fly under the exemption from Part 107, but it doesn't need to be taken to fly recreationally under Part 107.
I'll leave it alone. I may have misunderstood the guy from pilotinstitute in his video in the thread he started. All good.

Reactions: dronerdave
I'll leave it alone. I may have misunderstood the guy from pilotinstitute in his video in the thread he started. All good.
I just took a look at that video and no - you didn't misunderstand him at all - he just completely misrepresented the law. Very disappointing - I find it very hard to imagine that he doesn't know better.

Thank
Ah hah! I'm not alone!

The process I used was:

1) Open a Word file.
2) In the certificate pdf, select the image of the front side of the cert
3) On the menu bar, there's an option to take a snapshot. Do that.
4) Paste it into the Word file. You can re-size it in the Word file
5) For the reverse side of the cert, lather, rinse, repeat.
6) Print the Word file with the cert now copied to it.

It's a kludge, but it works!

:)

TCS
you very much. Worked!

Just for clarification, this only applies to people flying drones that are required to be registered, yes?

Thx,

TCS

The videos I have seen said that anyone flying a UAV recreationally has to have the certificate… and not just drone pilots.

Last edited:
What I read on the FAA website is that the test itself applies to people with a drone that weighs more than .55lb. Basically, if you have to register, you have to take the test.
You’re confusing the need to register your UAS vs “registering” and passing the recreational pilot test. EVERYONE, including those with Part 107 certification, must take and pass (which everyone does) the recreational pilot test before flying anything more than a balsa wood glider. I.E., if it’s powered you must be able to control it so you must have the recreational pilot certification.

Reactions: Sylvia-Khatt
You’re confusing the need to register your UAS vs “registering” and passing the recreational pilot test.
Correct.
EVERYONE, including those with Part 107 certification, must take and pass (which everyone does) the recreational pilot test before flying anything more than a balsa wood glider. I.E., if it’s powered you must be able to control it so you must have the recreational pilot certification.
Incorrect. You only need to take TRUST if you want to fly under the recreational exception (Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft, 49 U.S.C. Section 44809). If you fly under Part 107 for any purpose, including recreationally, you don't need to take TRUST.

Part 107 pilots can still choose to fly recreationally under that exception if they want to, in which case they need to take it, but most will simply fly recreationally under Part 107.

I thought the same because a few of those videos claimed even 107 folks had to take it. I guess the post by Vic was the easiest to understand IMO.

EDIT Vic wrote:

“Those with the Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate can still fly recreationally without a TRUST, as long as they are flying under the Part 107 regulations. In that case, they don't need a TRUST completion cert on them.

But if they fly outside those rules, they do need one. The examples are if you want to fly an aircraft over 55 pounds, or if you want to fly at night under a CBO that doesn't require 3SM strobes. If that case, you need to have your TRUST.

Also, if you have any UAS registered as a recreational flyer, you need to have taken TRUST in order to fly them outside. That includes ALL drones under .55lbs. For instance if I'm going to fly my little EMAX TinyHawk 2 drones outside (assuming there is zero wind), I have to have the TRUST. And I do fly those little guys at my local playground when the kiddos aren't around.

So in those cases, I need the TRUST. All other times, I can fly under 107, even if I deem the flight a recreational one.

I hope that helps clarify some of the TRUST concerns.”

Last edited:
I thought the same because a few of those videos claimed even 107 folks had to take it. I guess the post by Vic was the easiest to understand IMO.

EDIT Vic wrote:

“Those with the Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate can still fly recreationally without a TRUST, as long as they are flying under the Part 107 regulations. In that case, they don't need a TRUST completion cert on them.

But if they fly outside those rules, they do need one. The examples are if you want to fly an aircraft over 55 pounds, or if you want to fly at night under a CBO that doesn't require 3SM strobes. If that case, you need to have your TRUST.

Also, if you have any UAS registered as a recreational flyer, you need to have taken TRUST in order to fly them outside. That includes ALL drones under .55lbs. For instance if I'm going to fly my little EMAX TinyHawk 2 drones outside (assuming there is zero wind), I have to have the TRUST. And I do fly those little guys at my local playground when the kiddos aren't around.

So in those cases, I need the TRUST. All other times, I can fly under 107, even if I deem the flight a recreational one.

I hope that helps clarify some of the TRUST concerns.”

Yes, but that's overcomplicating the issue. Yes - if you haven't registered a UAV under Part 107 rules then you can't fly it under Part 107 rules. But you can register any UAV under Part 107, independent of weight. If you cannot be bothered to register it then obviously you cannot fly under Part 107 and you then need the recreational exemption and have to take TRUST.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu