DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro The Ghost Town of Papan

MPone

Reactions
Beyond the sleepy outskirts of Ipoh and Batu Gajah, lies a small town with an incredible history. Amidst its crumbling shop houses and empty streets, stories of past riches, war, secret societies, and even radioactive minerals intertwine with each other. This is the grand and illustrious story of Papan, the most intriguing ghost town in Perak. Located at the foothills of the Kledang Range, Papan sits just below Ulu Johan valley, a site once known to be very rich in tin. Despite mostly being derelict, Papan is not completely deserted, as its small number of elderly townsfolk still populate the area and its surrounding village.
Papan is a Malay word that literally means 'plank'. These names may have originated from the area's earliest known history as a small lumber town, probably as early as the 1700s. The Kledang hills that form the backdrop of Papan were once a well-known source of Chengal timber, attracting many Malay and Chinese timber workers from all over Perak. Along with the lumber industry, a number of mines were opened in the mid 1800s due to the discovery of promising alluvial tin deposits.

Beautiful video….I have to ask though….Why was this once beautiful village just abandoned…..Looks like they walked much like Chernobyl…A few obviously stayed as I thought I even saw a restaurant…Sad in many ways…

Reactions: MPone
Beautiful video….I have to ask though….Why was this once beautiful village just abandoned…..Looks like they walked much like Chernobyl…A few obviously stayed as I thought I even saw a restaurant…Sad in many ways…
The tin mining industry had been an important part of our colonial history, being among the earliest forms of mining present on the Malay Peninsula as early as the 1820s. By the turn of the 20th century, the Malay colonies became quite rich in tin.

Although the mines had mostly gone silent today, former mining towns like Ipoh and Larut in Perak still stand tall despite being relegated to tourist attractions. But the same can’t be said for a certain town off the beaten path - Papan.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead