DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini The abandoned ghost town of Kayaköy, Turkey - Feedback welcome!

Adventures With Nic

Reactions
The sprawling abandoned village of Kayaköy sits on the Aegean coast of Turkey. Originally inhabited by 6,500 Greeks, World War I led to the almost total depopulation of the town's 6,500 Greek inhabitants by 1918. Due to rumours of ghosts of the Greeks that died here, the Turkish refugees that came back to Turkey after the war refused to live in Kayaköy.

Would love any feedback you have! :)

Really really good! Since you asked for comments...Only two minor things that I would change:
1) You have a lot of overhead shots that make the buildings look like little boxes. While I love the redundancy of bring them back often (I usually hate reduncancy but not in this case) I would suggest that you shorten each of those clips to make the redundancy itself more effective. JMO

2) Starting around 1:55 the contrast drops significantly and you lose a lot of your blacks in that clip. I think some minor regrading would help that one small segment a lot.

May I ask, how did you come to be in Turkey and what time of year was this filmed?
Again, a really great and captivating video! Congratulations!!!

Reactions: Adventures With Nic
Hi Nic,
concerning critizimes Vindibona already said what could have been done better..
As for me, I like very much this really amazing ghost town, I nerver saw such a big one. Thanks for sharing ?
If possible you should return there and make many ground based shots, that would get the video much more interesting to watch!
cheers Paul

Awesome video. I spent 3 years in Turkey but never made it to the Aegean seaside. I was in the south, north of Mersin.

Like Jack43, I am amazed at the size of this "ghost town." In the USA when we talk about ghost towns (usually old wild west places in the western United States), we are talking a handful of wooden buildings. This was more like a small city! I loved all your shots. I really loved opening with a straight down shot, it made the wide shot later more surprising when I saw the size of the town. Two thoughts, perhaps you could have eased your drone into an open window, shooting into the building, then backed out and up revealing several places. And/or you could have eased the drone down into a building so the camera could see out of a window, then gone straight up. Music was a bit to weird and fast for me.

The sprawling abandoned village of Kayaköy sits on the Aegean coast of Turkey. Originally inhabited by 6,500 Greeks, World War I led to the almost total depopulation of the town's 6,500 Greek inhabitants by 1918. Due to rumours of ghosts of the Greeks that died here, the Turkish refugees that came back to Turkey after the war refused to live in Kayaköy.

Would love any feedback you have! :)

Saw this place recently on Microsoft News "Europe's Abandoned Towns". Nice video presentation from your good self.

Really really good! Since you asked for comments...Only two minor things that I would change:
1) You have a lot of overhead shots that make the buildings look like little boxes. While I love the redundancy of bring them back often (I usually hate reduncancy but not in this case) I would suggest that you shorten each of those clips to make the redundancy itself more effective. JMO

2) Starting around 1:55 the contrast drops significantly and you lose a lot of your blacks in that clip. I think some minor regrading would help that one small segment a lot.

May I ask, how did you come to be in Turkey and what time of year was this filmed?
Again, a really great and captivating video! Congratulations!!!

1 - Yeah this was partly done as I did not have enough varity footage in the end! But I do agree.

2 - Thanks for that, probably should have been more careful checking out each individual clip too. Thanks!

This was actually filmed last week :) I am currently working remotely for a few months in Turkey to escape the cold!

Hi Nic,
concerning critizimes Vindibona already said what could have been done better..
As for me, I like very much this really amazing ghost town, I nerver saw such a big one. Thanks for sharing ?
If possible you should return there and make many ground based shots, that would get the video much more interesting to watch!
cheers Paul

Sadly I don't think I will be able to get back there.. But I will be in the general south west Turkey area until March, so maybe I can make it! Thanks for the kind words!

Like Jack43, I am amazed at the size of this "ghost town." In the USA when we talk about ghost towns (usually old wild west places in the western United States), we are talking a handful of wooden buildings. This was more like a small city! I loved all your shots. I really loved opening with a straight down shot, it made the wide shot later more surprising when I saw the size of the town. Two thoughts, perhaps you could have eased your drone into an open window, shooting into the building, then backed out and up revealing several places. And/or you could have eased the drone down into a building so the camera could see out of a window, then gone straight up. Music was a bit to weird and fast for me.

Solid feedback. Yeah more shots from the ground or just above the buildings I think could have worked better.. Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it!

1 - Yeah this was partly done as I did not have enough varity footage in the end! But I do agree.

2 - Thanks for that, probably should have been more careful checking out each individual clip too. Thanks!

This was actually filmed last week :) I am currently working remotely for a few months in Turkey to escape the cold!

Solid feedback. Yeah more shots from the ground or just above the buildings I think could have worked better.. Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it!
1- I think you had enough footage length and plenthy of variety. What I'm saying is that just cut a couple seconds off each of the returns to that pattern. It will increase the impact.

2- I haven't been doing video editing all that long. I know I've been guilty of getting ahead of myself, then revisiting projects only to take a step back to see that it was total **** and do a full re-edit with amazing results. You've got some great stuff as it is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair