DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 The Glenelg Turntable Ferry

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
An extra video for today - given the BBC feature on this ferry is their number one content today - taken in rather a hurry last week just prior to our trip 'over the seas to Skye'.

Unfortunately I missed filming the Ferry leaving as we were in the Cabin getting some of the very best fresh coffee I have ever had (Skye Coffee Roasters). Add in the fact that the most charged of the batteries we had only had 65% left, which meant I was preoccupied in making sure I had enough battery left to return on what was forecast to be a windy day - plus I was flying right at the limits of VLOS (Visual Line of Sight), so the footage is farly hum drum - certainly not up to match the epic footage in the recent BBC feature.

It is what it is, I could do better, but still, it documents the crossing until such time as I can return again and have another attempt at the subject.

Good job, thanks!
Where is that location?

Glenelg, Kyle Rhea, near Skye - take the 'A82 Road to the Isles from Invergary or Invermoriston, then take the Pass of Ratagan at Shiel Bridge and down to Glenelg, about 90 mins from leaving Invermoriston (if you dont stop to fly the drone at every opportunity).

DID you sell the footage to the Beeb? I just read an article on there about that ferry lol.
Lol, no, my footage isnt quite as good as the one on the BBC feature... Took mine last week, the 6th drone flight of the day, during an epic roadtrip to Skye for a day from the cottage we were staying in...

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Nicely shot. That ferry was one of the high points for me on our Scotland trip. Just a nifty little piece of history and it was a fun way to spend a low-key day on the lesser seen parts of the Highlands.

Wonderful video, as we expect from you. I note some vehicles on the ferry, which I assumed (incorrectly, as it turns out) that they would drive off at the end. It appears that the water is moving quite quickly from right to left, and I could not figure out how they could dock so the ferry was stable enough to allow them to drive off. Still wondering about that. For those of us out of BBC range, could you explain?

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Wonderful video, as we expect from you. I note some vehicles on the ferry, which I assumed (incorrectly, as it turns out) that they would drive off at the end. It appears that the water is moving quite quickly from right to left, and I could not figure out how they could dock so the ferry was stable enough to allow them to drive off. Still wondering about that. For those of us out of BBC range, could you explain?

The ferry pulls up alongside the ramp, not directly in front of it which help keeps it stable. Then the entire floor of the boat is rotated manually by the crew. It's really something. Here's a video I took from the land.

Thanks, it seems I am gaining a reputation for my work, if good things are expected of me :)

As Rhody has said, it docks to the side, you can see it in the last part of the 3rd bit of footage, and as I pull away you can just see the turntable begin to move - if you have a large enough screen :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne