DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s The hauntingly beautiful, but derelict Birnbeck Pier, Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, at sunset

Wow only 2 years. I’ve been at it for at least 50 years (not with a drone of course) and really only have amateur outcomes but happily I am quite happy with what I produce. Enough of me-lovely film very well shot and presented. We live just down the road in Bristol and it is a sorry but still majestic spectacle as one can imagine, with closed eyes, what it must have been like. A great capture and perhaps the ultimate film of the pier. Let’s hope it can be tidied up at least.
Thank you so much for the kind words. I had a message from a member of the Regeneration Trust yesterday, & they're hoping soon to be able to make a positive announcement about the transfer of ownership

I loved your intro!! Also really enjoyed seeingf the footage of the pier. Like others, I'm sad it has been left to the elements. I gave it a like on YouTube - well done!
Many thanks. I got permission from the Friends Of The Old Pier Society to use some of the stills on their website, & just thought it looked good adding the Film Damage filter & Film Strip transition in DaVinci Resolve at the beginning & end of the stills intro. I then simply added a Cine Camera sound effect from Epidemic Sounds & the intro worked well I thought.

Really terrific video! I watched every second and enjoyed it. Your opening historical sequence was perfect. I loved the one photos with early 1900's marketing, "The only paint used on this pier is..." What a place that must have been in it's heyday. I assume you shot at low-tide? If so, video at high-tide might be good too.
Thanks for the high praise. There are lots more stills on the Friends Of The Old Pier Society website. It was very low tide. There is another video from the same place on my YouTube Channel from August 2020 (it was one of my first after getting my first drones so not so good as this one) with a higher tide in more murky conditions, & I will return in time for a higher tide.

Excellent video and quality. New with the A2s, do you mind sharing the camera settings you use?
Thanks very much for the praise. I have to admit that all the footage was shot on Auto using my Mavic Air2S. Mostly at 60FPS, occasionally at 30FPS when using Spotlight for some of the arcs. Every shot had a Polarising Filter over the lens, but that was all

Reactions: HoozierDroneDaddy
My latest clip is from outside of Cornwall, but the site is so hauntingly beautiful, I just had to film there again.

Birnbeck Pier at Weston-Super-Mare was originally built in the 1800's, but has been left to fall derelict since the 1990's. The great news though is that there is hope on the horizon for it's restoration.

Many thanks to the Friends Of The Old Pier Society for allowing me to use some of their stills in this clip. See their site at www.birnbeck-pier.co.uk for lots of history and info.

I hope you enjoy it.

That was a superb film, but I expect nothing less when I click on your clips. Beautiful flights, slow, calming, accompanied by excellent music choice, and golden hour lighting, and calm sea, and old deteriorating buildings.

That is an amazing location. I'm surprised that it has not already been torn down for new development. That's the sort of thing that happens here very quickly. No time to appreciate history and times that existed then.

Thank you always for submitting such gorgeous stuff. This is what enervates me to go out there and try to copy those kinds of flights.

Dale
Miami

Thanks as always Dale. It's now a Grade 2 Listed Building which protects & restricts what can be done with it. There's loads of info on the Regeneration Trust website if you're interested - here's the link Home

It must have been something special in its day. I am glad there are plans to restore it. Another moving video, Jeremy. You are forgiven for leaving Cornwall. 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremy Clark
My latest clip is from outside of Cornwall, but the site is so hauntingly beautiful, I just had to film there again.

Birnbeck Pier at Weston-Super-Mare was originally built in the 1800's, but has been left to fall derelict since the 1990's. The great news though is that there is hope on the horizon for it's restoration.

Many thanks to the Friends Of The Old Pier Society for allowing me to use some of their stills in this clip. See their site at www.birnbeck-pier.co.uk for lots of history and info.

I hope you enjoy it.

I think my favorite part was the shot looking straight down, and in some parts, through the Pier. Beautifully done. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I think my favorite part was the shot looking straight down, and in some parts, through the Pier. Beautifully done. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Thanks so much. I was especially pleased with the shots low to the walkway with the sun behind & obscured but shining through

Another classic JC
Great soundtrack ... good transition timing .. excellent lighting .. very good subject
Very well done Thumbswayup

Beautiful footage and very well done video. The old photo intro really helped tell the story. After watching, I had to do some research on the place and was struck by the tidal variation. This certainly gives me ideas for my own video efforts and a benchmark for the quality I aspire to produce. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard