DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Indecisive Buyer...

inthepark

Reactions
Hey there!

I've been reading this forum for a little while now, having managed to resist the drone urge since Phantom 2 days.

Now with the Mavic Air, resistance almost seems futile.

I live in the UK, am a hobbyist photographer in to wildlife and landscape scenery etc, and am interested in the Air for hobbyist filming and photography.

I am currently on two weeks annual leave, first week just catching up on stuff around the house, but for my second week I'm thinking it's the perfect time to finally scratch the drone itch, and maybe even go somewhere with it.

I've assessed all the cons of the Air itself, and have decided that the biggest one (range) won't be an issue as I'd like to fly in fairly wild and remote areas, plus as I'd be learning I wouldn't be too keen for it to leave my sight etc.

The cost itself, I've decided that if I get it and don't like it etc., I'd sell it on for hopefully not much of a financial loss - certainly worth finally scratching this itch that I've had for years.

The main hurdle now seems to be finding a place that would be a good spot for a four-to-five day's holiday (walking, scenic getaway for general photography as well) plus drone-friendly.

I have to say, it's becoming a frustrating pattern of googling a picturesque country / region, only to find it's ruled out drone flight. I wouldn't particularly want to risk it, and getting it confiscated etc.

And surely the current laws are only a taste of what's to come - which has me questioning if this punitive atmosphere is really worth it after all. (I have to say, I can kind of see their point ... as awesome as a drone photo/video could be, it certainly would spoil some places if it became too frequent and common).

To keep costs down I would maybe only go somewhere in the UK (I've never visited Wales, maybe Snowdownia?) or Eastern Europe (Romania?).

Weather permitting. Regulations permitting.

So could I ask for people's opinion and help in trying to make a decision once and for all?

I know there are a few good 'where to fly' apps now, but what are people's general experience of actually being able to fly and capture footage as they wish? The agro they receive, brushes with the law etc?

Best scenic places in the UK that are allowed? Snowdonia etc? Romania?

As a hobbyist photographer I try to stick to the golden hour of sunrise, and I'd probably do the same for droning.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it. As I say this is something I've been considering for quite a while, but the final blocker to my eyes is just the punitive restrictions everywhere, which is just making me doubt if it really is worth it or not.

Thanks for any and all help received!

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi there
Not sure where your based in UK but I’ve found the south coast good for practicing. There are plenty of good spots I’ve videoed (I’m just hobbyist too and love photography). I agree the rules are constraining but I’ve also found just being polite and asking in general (see my other post below) sometimes works wonders.

Best comprehensive map for Mavic Pro?
Best comprehensive map for Mavic Pro?

The Air is very good, I don’t think you will be disappointed if you get one.

Reactions: inthepark
Snowdonia is a great start, some amazing scenery there. Also anywhere in Mid-Wales, which is also very scenic indeed. Stay clear of Welshpool (small airport) and the Brecon Beacons (Military no-fly zone). You're still left with miles and miles of drone friendly landscapes in Mid-Wales. Thumbswayup

I was also looking at a local website earlier today, that does professional drone photography in the area. It'll give you an idea of some of the sights here in Mid-Wales.

Dragon UAV - Our Work - What we can do for YOU

Enjoy your break :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
:)

Many thanks for all of your kind words and helpful assistance.

I'm rather ashamed to say I've never even been to Wales as a whole, so drones aside it'll be a nice getaway if I settle on there ... weather permitting.

@aerialinspiration thanks for your links and encouragement. I am based in South West London (Richmond Park is very near, with its dedicated learning field) and have family on the Dorset coast too.

@FuzLogix - good to hear about Wales. As I say, a place I should check out regardless of drone action.

Next step is a decent 14 day forecast...

Thanks again.

Many thanks for all of your kind words and helpful assistance.

I'm rather ashamed to say I've never even been to Wales as a whole, so drones aside it'll be a nice getaway if I settle on there ... weather permitting.

@aerialinspiration thanks for your links and encouragement. I am based in South West London (Richmond Park is very near, with its dedicated learning field) and have family on the Dorset coast too.

@FuzLogix - good to hear about Wales. As I say, a place I should check out regardless of drone action.

Next step is a decent 14 day forecast...

Thanks again.

Now if you can fix the 14 day forecast I want to know the secret!!!!!

Now if you can fix the 14 day forecast I want to know the secret!!!!!

Hmmm, just had a quick look. It's that really helpful and precise forecast of "Cloudy rain or sunny spells. Maybe. Potentially."

AirBnB have some decent prices (never done that before, either). I'll sleep on it.

I guess I should bite the bullet in the next day or so to ensure timely delivery, check it over, run all the updates etc etc, that's even if any are in stock anywhere.

Fingers crossed could be a great few days trying new things and getting away from it all.

Hmmm, just had a quick look. It's that really helpful and precise forecast of "Cloudy rain or sunny spells. Maybe. Potentially."

AirBnB have some decent prices (never done that before, either). I'll sleep on it.

I guess I should bite the bullet in the next day or so to ensure timely delivery, check it over, run all the updates etc etc, that's even if any are in stock anywhere.

Fingers crossed could be a great few days trying new things and getting away from it all.

Have fun and shout if you get stuck, there are a ton of helpful people on the forum so don’t be afraid to ask.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Hey there!

I've been reading this forum for a little while now, having managed to resist the drone urge since Phantom 2 days.

Now with the Mavic Air, resistance almost seems futile.

I live in the UK, am a hobbyist photographer in to wildlife and landscape scenery etc, and am interested in the Air for hobbyist filming and photography.

I am currently on two weeks annual leave, first week just catching up on stuff around the house, but for my second week I'm thinking it's the perfect time to finally scratch the drone itch, and maybe even go somewhere with it.

I've assessed all the cons of the Air itself, and have decided that the biggest one (range) won't be an issue as I'd like to fly in fairly wild and remote areas, plus as I'd be learning I wouldn't be too keen for it to leave my sight etc.

The cost itself, I've decided that if I get it and don't like it etc., I'd sell it on for hopefully not much of a financial loss - certainly worth finally scratching this itch that I've had for years.

The main hurdle now seems to be finding a place that would be a good spot for a four-to-five day's holiday (walking, scenic getaway for general photography as well) plus drone-friendly.

I have to say, it's becoming a frustrating pattern of googling a picturesque country / region, only to find it's ruled out drone flight. I wouldn't particularly want to risk it, and getting it confiscated etc.

And surely the current laws are only a taste of what's to come - which has me questioning if this punitive atmosphere is really worth it after all. (I have to say, I can kind of see their point ... as awesome as a drone photo/video could be, it certainly would spoil some places if it became too frequent and common).

To keep costs down I would maybe only go somewhere in the UK (I've never visited Wales, maybe Snowdownia?) or Eastern Europe (Romania?).

Weather permitting. Regulations permitting.

So could I ask for people's opinion and help in trying to make a decision once and for all?

I know there are a few good 'where to fly' apps now, but what are people's general experience of actually being able to fly and capture footage as they wish? The agro they receive, brushes with the law etc?

Best scenic places in the UK that are allowed? Snowdonia etc? Romania?

As a hobbyist photographer I try to stick to the golden hour of sunrise, and I'd probably do the same for droning.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it. As I say this is something I've been considering for quite a while, but the final blocker to my eyes is just the punitive restrictions everywhere, which is just making me doubt if it really is worth it or not.

Thanks for any and all help received!
Howdy from Wyoming @inthepark , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

You could try heading out along the A3 into Surrey. Lots of nice landscapes to photograph & film, especially the Surrey Hills area or the North Downs. There are some old ruins/historical places you can film for a bit of variety in a landscape shot.

I didn't know there was a flying field in Richmond Park. I thought they would have banned drones to avoid another "Fenton" incident! Good to see that Royal Parks allowing people to fly there, hope more places take note and do the same.

I have a Mavic Air which I take out with my normal camera equipment. I'm a hobby photographer of landscapes & nature and the MA has been a great addition and very straightforward to operate. Enjoy your time off :)

Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! Fly safe and have fun!

Dear All,

Many thanks again for your continued warm welcome and suggestions.

After the deteriorating forecast for Wales and Scotland next week (just my luck it picks up again), I've finally stopped being so fretful and indecisive, and am expecting the Air tomorrow, along with four nights in Madeira next week, where the forecast is much better.

From the information I can see, so long as you're not an idiot your should be okay with a drone in Portugal. There is a page here about filling in forms for the port authority and also if you're planning to photo/video, but I've already missed the time period for that, so I will stick to the early morning hours, remote places, and seek forgiveness with crossed fingers.

My heart rate has just about returned to normal - I've always been terrible at booking a holiday, and have been a saver rather than big spender, so this is all very unnatural!

@Moon thanks for the tips, details of the Richmond Park field are here: Flying drones in Richmond Park

Thanks again :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078