DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Land of Ice & Fire (Part 19 - F88)

I will never forget this F88 dirt road (88 is also my lucky number). F88 is a dirt road to the central highlands of Iceland. It is the only dirt road from north Iceland to Askja (Vatnajökull National Park). After my "wifey" saw the notice below, she kept harping me about the river crossings. "Attention: Association for Search and Rescue issues travel warning for route F88. The Icelandic Association for Search and Rescue has issued a travel warning for the Lindá river on route F88 on the way to Askja in the central highlands. The river can be very challenging to cross and motorists driving smaller 4x4 vehicles." She couldn't sleep for many nights worrying that we could be consumed by the rivers. It was very stressful even for me as an avid outdoor character. Our Opel Moka 4x4 is really a small vehicle. I told myself that I should have gotten a bigger 4x4 like a Land Rover or a Land Cruiser. On that particular day when we drove into F88, there were hardly any vehicles. Hours along the rugged bumpy trail, a Land Rover came by and flagged us down. They recommended that I turn back because the river crossing at Lindá is more than 3ft high and I might not get across. These are not the words I want to hear. They left leaving us with more worries. Did I make a good choice? I kept asking myself. We were already 4+ hours into F88 and turning back is not an option. We could be in deep trouble if we did not get across the river as there is no help any which direction in this wilderness. There are many river crossings, Lindá is the notorious one. I did not have any video footage at Lindá. With my heart racing and stress I did not do any drone video footage this time. During the crossing, I could feel the tires going over big river stones, I was hoping that no wheels will slip or drop into a hole. I have to drive a the right pace to cross. Too fast water might get suck into the engine, too slow the wheels could slip in between the river stones, and water will seep into the cabin. But then we successfully crossed Lindá . Words cannot describe the relieve that came then.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki