DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Mavic 2 Pro picture quality is on another level.

Again, this is the UNEDITED JPEG, and then I spent about 10 seconds in LightRoom with the RAW. Only F5.6/100ms, apparently. Could be even sharper stopped down.

Its likely to be less sharp stopped down. Its a small sensor so f/8 onwards you're likely to see diffraction (a Hasselblad guy involved in the camera design states similar on his blog).

The amount of detail and range (look at the dark cars and bright roofs in the edited RAW!) from the Sony sensor is just great. I couldn't get anything like this with my Mavic Pro. Oh, and no soft corners, yay!

Nit picking, the old mavic sensor was Sony. As are most camera sensors in the world (ok not Canon). Sony make a LOT of different size and quality sensors!

Its likely to be less sharp stopped down. Its a small sensor so f/8 onwards you're likely to see diffraction (a Hasselblad guy involved in the camera design states similar on his blog).

Nit picking, the old mavic sensor was Sony. As are most camera sensors in the world (ok not Canon). Sony make a LOT of different size and quality sensors!

I haven't noticed any diffraction as of yet. Not saying it's not true, but the difference in sharpness between f/5.6 and f/8 should still be tangible before diffraction kicks in.

I'm aware of the sensors, but the 1" sensors from Sony are simply superb.

Thank you very much for this... I'm purposely not looking at the new Mavics (til I can afford one) and am quite happy with my MP and Inspire 1 because I'm thinking 'how much better could they be?'
Then you have to go and show me this...
Thanks...

Last edited:
Reactions: Goof and WilliamG
I flew my Inspire 2 with a 45 mm lens on and my new Mavic 2 Pro in the same area on Saturday. When I compared the stills, raw and JPG, on my desktop I was thrilled to see that the quality of the Mavic 2 Pro stills was very comparable to the Inspire 2. I was photographing a pinyon/juniper forest that has lots of fine details in the branches. The Mavic 2 Pro stills are much better resolution than the Mavic Pro. Of course, I am spoiled with the quality from my 47 MP Nikon D850. But I do remember when a 20 MP DSLR was top of the line. To get aerial photos of the quality from the Mavic 2 Pro is a dream come true for me.

OK, so sent the Mavic 2 Pro out for its first night flight. The Hyperlight photos it produces are really rather good. Yes, you can pixel peep to your heart's content and complain about this and that... but... I'll just enjoy, - at a "normal" size. The original Mavic Pro could only DREAM of having images like this without noise. Even the Space Needle in the background is clearly defined.

I purposely picked this composition to have a lot of light in the foreground, and a lot of dark buildings in the background, to see how the image would expose. Well...

(In the interest of full disclosure, I did adjust the exposure and color balance in Lightroom just a tad, and that was it - 5 seconds at most.)

For a quick JPEG-only shot, this is... impressive to me.

Attachments

• Fixed-1.jpg
    Fixed-1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 98
Reactions: ricphoto
What does the Hyperlight function actually do?

I'm not EXACTLY sure what it's doing other than "enhancing" photos, but simultaneously reducing the noise associated with night-time higher ISOs. That image is at 800 ISO.

Reactions: parkgt
And here's another couple. First, the original DNG. This shot was a NIGHTMARE to get, because the sun was brutal. However, a few edits and no - this is not award-winning by any means, but the detail preserved is amazing to me.

And no, while this looks like an HDR conversion, it's not! Just exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, whites, and blacks. That's all that was touched. Under 60 seconds of editing. Not for any other reason other than to see what detail was preserved in the RAW file (this was no JPEG!).

And YES, that's lens flare at the bottom of the image. The sun was intense!

Attachments

• Original NEW-1.jpg
    Original NEW-1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 86
  • FIXEDNEW-1.jpg
    FIXEDNEW-1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 94
And here's another couple. First, the original DNG. This shot was a NIGHTMARE to get, because the sun was brutal. However, a few edits and no - this is not award-winning by any means, but the detail preserved is amazing to me.

And no, while this looks like an HDR conversion, it's not! Just exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, whites, and blacks. That's all that was touched. Under 60 seconds of editing. Not for any other reason other than to see what detail was preserved in the RAW file (this was no JPEG!).

And YES, that's lens flare at the bottom of the image. The sun was intense!
Nice example...can only imagine the images that we'll be able to produce once we get Neutral Grads on it...

e!

Nice work in post.

And here's a panorama from about a half hour ago. Nothing fancy, but I'm surprised how well the panorama in JPEG form out of the camera adapts - and takes on an HDR-like appearance with a few tweaks in Lightroom. This is at 300ft. There's a lot of variation of exposures, and the Pro 2 camera really does a great job with it.

Attachments

• Pano 300ft HDR-Like-1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 53
Reactions: ricphoto
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member