DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Mavic Air is "Tough"...

Tony56

Reactions
I now have 12 flights under my belt...
But haven't seriously flown in Sport mode yet...
Just played with it somewhat...
Today I wanted to see how fast my Mavic would get to me from the end of a straightaway where I live..

I started in front of my house just flying around the neighborhood...
And wanted to see the Mavic's speed in sport mode...
So I flew to the start of the straightaway on my dead end road where I live...

On the road in front of my house I cannot physically see my Mavic from it's starting point...
It is 815' away from me using Google Maps measuring tool..
I get my bearing in the middle of the road straightaway with the Mavic's camera...
Starting 15' above the road I flew the Mavic full throttle towards myself...

I begin to hear the Mavic approaching and guess it is nearing halfway..
All of a sudden I can hear a loud smack...
I see leaves flying and the limbs rustling of a neighbor's Bradford Pear tree..
Which did extend a few feet over the edge of the road 485' away from me...

By now it is obvious I was not headed 180 degrees from the Mavic's starting point..
I knew I had flown into the neighbor's tree limbs but did not see the Mavic fall...
And I could still hear the prop noise but saw nothing moving...
I am thinking while running towards the tree that the Mavic must be caught and suspended on a limb...

So rather than stop the motors and risk the Mavic falling possibly damaging it on the road..
I left them running hoping I could catch it when I did cut the power and let it fall...
As I approached the tree I could hear but not see the Mavic...
I must now say I am also deaf in one ear and do not hear well directionally...

But when I am about 10' from the tree I do hear and see the Mavic...
It is hovering on the opposite side of the road at the 15' altitude I had previously started it from...
So I immediately do a hand landing which I had already done a couple of times...
The motors stop and I begin inspecting the Mavic..

To my surprise...there was no damage whatsoever...
No scratches on the props or anything...
Since I had replaced the props before on another drone...
I was somewhat amazed....

DJI had designed and built this thing tuff...
While I admit I was careless I was not being arrogant nor cocky...
Just checking the speed in sport mode..
I know while the Mavic is built tuff...it does not allow to fly like I am in a demolition derby...
If anything....it makes me reinforce my thinking and judgement on future flights...

I'm attaching a screenshot to make visualization better..
My Road.PNG

Today I wanted to see how fast my Mavic would get to me from the end of a straightaway where I live..

On the road in front of my house I cannot physically see my Mavic from it's starting point...
I get my bearing in the middle of the road straightaway with the Mavic's camera...

By now it is obvious I was not headed 180 degrees from the Mavic's starting point..
I knew I had flown into the neighbor's tree limbs but did not see the Mavic fall...
I am thinking while running towards the tree that the Mavic must be caught and suspended on a limb...

So rather than stop the motors and risk the Mavic falling possibly damaging it on the road..
I left them running hoping I could catch it when I did cut the power and let it fall...

It is hovering on the opposite side of the road at the 15' altitude I had previously started it from...
So I immediately do a hand landing which I had already done a couple of times...

I know while the Mavic is built tuff...it does not allow to fly like I am in a demolition derby...
If anything....it makes me reinforce my thinking and judgement on future flights...

View attachment 40230

Glad your MA is ok and all but do you not use a phone or tablet to view your intended flight path? Should have avoided the crash if you did.

Reactions: JonnyBenson
The MA is one tuff puppy. But always remember which way is up down,right, left. I still find myself, from time to time turning the wrong way. Maybe that is because I’m a bass ackwards person to start. What is really cool is when you set the drone facing away from you and fly it backwards to you. We must always maintain the proper orientation or pay the consequences. Also, word of caution . . . Drone pilots must always use VLOS. However, the FAA does permit a momentary loss of VLOS in some situations, with immediate regain of VLOS. Good thing you had a VO with you to help maintain sight. Took me long enough to train the wife to watch the drone, not to see how many pictures of all the other scenery on her phone. Try to position your drone just slightly above the horizon to help maintain VLOS.

Another little trick is to practice with the controller. By this, I mean stay away from using thumbs and 8nstead try to use thumb/index finger combo. That’s how you write and you have greater control over the pen/stick.

Jeffrey

Happy Droning

Reactions: W2EJ and Tony56
I've noticed with the Air in a collision it will try to recover rather than fall to the ground. With the MP and spark with its folding props, I think when you collide the drone loses airflow as the prop deforms due to its foldable design whereas the MA uses a fixed solid prop. Downsides to this however is depending on the collision you could also transfer some of the impact to the motor/motor mount which could damage the drone further.

Still, watching the MA recover from a collision and continue to hover is pretty cool in my book.

Skip to 1:38

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony56
Errors, yes, he did. But, I believe guiding the user in the proper direction to a safer more enjoyable experience is paramount. What suggestions would you have for him? I would be happy to incorporate some as well, please. I always look for any extra hints that help my experience. Many thanks.

R
Jeffrey

I was using activeshots on my MA and it crashed into the top of the tree. I thought it had plenty of clearance but it was hard to judge when you're looking from far away. It dropped 47 feet and smashed into the ground. Only thing that was damaged was the the landing arm. Just the plastic bit at the end snapped. I can't believe my eyes that the case didn't even crack open as I heard a loud smack when it free fall 47 feet.

The single mistake here was executing a flight such as this at 15' altitude.

If you're going to fly at top speed out of LOS, you should be well above any obstacle in the path of the aircraft. At least 20-30' above.

For simply a kick-*** thrill test with your new drone, there isn't any reason this couldn't be done at 100'.

I’d be more than happy to show you my my third set of props but I won’t remove the drone skin to reveal the battle scars under. Fortunately, no repairs have been needed. I’d knock on wood, but my drone has already knocked on enough trees

Jeffrey

Reactions: JDawg and Tony56
FWIW, Tony, I was responding to your comment about perfect pilots that don't make mistakes. That doesn't apply to me.

I'm on my second Air. Put the first one in the ocean, thinking I could stretch past the smart RTH warning on a distance record flight. That was a stupid mistake.

Also on my second Pro. Put the first high in a tree miles into private, inaccessible forest running a litchi mission. Again, the cause was carelessness, something I could have avoided easily when planning the mission.

So, you're not alone. Yeah, flying balls-out at 15' altitude in an urban neighborhood when you couldn't see the aircraft was pretty dumb. Take comfort, however, you have plenty of company :D

And you still have your aircraft, no worse for wear, so no whining! :D:D

I was also pleasantly surprised by the build quality of it. It feels as solid as it actually is. I once had it tossed out of a bag when I put it on my back while forgetting to zip the front of it. It smacked on the hardwood floor. Damage: none.

A few weeks later while hiking, I was carrying the Air in the bottom of a backpack without the protective casing. I slipped and fell quite hard on the rocks and was bleeding on places I didn't even knew I could. However, what was more important to me was if the Mavic had any damage. Did it? apart from a tiny scratch at the front that I didn't notice until days after, and bloodstains (looks good on white), again nothing. I didn't even had to recalibrate it. (I did do it though just to be on the safe side, and would advise doing so after a crash).

It still flies like a champ.

Note to self: Bring the bloody case with ya you tool...

Tony, dont insist. Your posts dont rhyme. Give up with that style.

FWIW, Tony, I was responding to your comment about perfect pilots that don't make mistakes. That doesn't apply to me.

I'm on my second Air. Put the first one in the ocean, thinking I could stretch past the smart RTH warning on a distance record flight. That was a stupid mistake.

Also on my second Pro. Put the first high in a tree miles into private, inaccessible forest running a litchi mission. Again, the cause was carelessness, something I could have avoided easily when planning the mission.

So, you're not alone. Yeah, flying balls-out at 15' altitude in an urban neighborhood when you couldn't see the aircraft was pretty dumb. Take comfort, however, you have plenty of company :D

And you still have your aircraft, no worse for wear, so no whining! :D:D
Ok dwallersv...apologiy acceptied...
But on reply #9 from you...
The single mistake here was executing a flight such as this at 15' altitude.If you're going to fly at top speed out of LOS, you should be well above any obstacle in the path of the aircraft. At least 20-30' above.
For simply a kick-*** thrill test with your new drone, there isn't any reason this couldn't be done at 100'

It seemed as if you were fanning the flames of the members scolding me...

As far as an urban neighborhood where I live...
Actually it is far from it..
I have lived in this road "Wilderness Lane" since 1984..
It is out in the country...
There are 7 houses on this road..

There are several cow pastures near me..
I hear a rooster crowing every morning...
The last house was built 26 yrs ago...

When someone other than the residents drive down our road...
They are lost...or just being nosy..
With me being the last house..
Other than the mailman...who had already come that day...
I may see one strange car a month..

It was about 2:00 pm or so that day..
No one coming home from work...
I knew I could fly down the road 15' above it...
But you can bet I won't do it again...

Reactions: R.J.

View attachment 40230
I love the stories that start with....." Today I wanted to see how fast my" nearly as much as I love the ones that start with "Hey watch this, I want to try something"

Good thing no damage.

I love the stories that start with....." Today I wanted to see how fast my" nearly as much as I love the ones that start with "Hey watch this, I want to try something"

Good thing no damage.
or...hold my beer and watch this. :) Glad your MA survived.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS