DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Mavic is acting weird

Genzeka

Reactions
I took my drone out for a morning flight in the city. It was flying fine but the camera was acting weird causing flickering in the camera. It stopped once I got above the recommended 16ft. I also got a “weak” signal warning a few times. Is what I’m experiencing magnetic interference from all the metal surrounding me?

I guess it could be that but also the surrunding WIFI homes signal.
Also, before each flights I will recommend you to do in order :
- IMU calibration
- Compass calibration
- Gimbal calibration.

I know it is can be boring but safer is better. :)

Reactions: Genzeka
I would not recommend that at all . Unless you are having issue's
or it ask for it in the app you possible could do a bad compass cal
and have a mess . Same with the other calibrations . Not sure where you got that from but it is not necessary .

Well all I can tell you is they told you wrong if they told you to
do all that before every flight . I might do a gimbal cal if I am having issues and only done a few compass or IMU cal's in almost a year and I fly alot .Your bird and do as you wish but I would not recommend it to anyone else .

Reactions: newguy
Ok I will follow your saying.
But for the compass I think it is better to do it frequently, because earth magnetic field and magnetic environment could (and will) change from one place to an other.
Just saying that because in my job (ROV pilot tech) we are doing it in this cases.

I disagree there also but lets discuss this in a thread on it and there are plenty already here . Sorry OP as we veered off your issue .
I can't speak about your issue as I don't fly in the city . I live in the country but have seen many here say they do have issues with all the wifi noise and buildings if you're in a big city .

I disagree there also but lets discuss this in a thread on it and there are plenty already here . Sorry OP as we veered off your issue .
I can't speak about your issue as I don't fly in the city . I live in the country but have seen many here say they do have issues with all the wifi noise and buildings if you're in a big city .

In the city, I’m ask to recalibrate every time I fly. If there’s too much interference from metal on ground. I’ll hover it at least 10-15 feet. Wait until it’s safe to fly & then go but this event was weird.

I calibrate my compass if I move 100 miles from the last time I calibrated it. Other than that, only if it asked me to and it never does. As for the rest (IMU, Camera), I don't see the need to do that overtime you fly. If you do, then maybe there is an issue with the quad itself.

I took my drone out for a morning flight in the city. It was flying fine but the camera was acting weird causing flickering in the camera. It stopped once I got above the recommended 16ft. I also got a “weak” signal warning a few times. Is what I’m experiencing magnetic interference from all the metal surrounding me?
I fly in a big city almost 90% of the time. Not having problem at all. Did you fly near big cell towers or very high voltage power lines?

Could you explain what you meant by "once I got above the recommended 16ft"?

Weak signal warning can be because you did not point the antenna properly. The flat part of the antenna should be facing the drone (instead of facing the ground).

As for calibration, as all the staff members have suggested, only do it if the App ask for it. Hey...you are probably a VVIP, all the staff members are helping you! ;)

I'm your huckleberry.gif

If Your location is under ce regulation so
It's normal
But if fcc regulation so somting is wrong

But
Chklist
1.antena in right position
2.cell on airplane ....any cell
3.rc need to be cleared from ani metal as fance power lines
4.wind affect signal and proximity to cell towers

I was going for a distance flight yesterday morning but aborted because I had issues with the camera stuttering ,flickering. No weak signal but CPU warning started up again.Temps were in the low to mid 50's ,wind N @18-22mph
In the afternoon I took it up and everything was fine.temps were mid to upper 60's .

By any chance did you just try using a different phone or tablet?

I got those same responded when trying to use my Samsung tab S. My mavic only seems to want to work right on my note 4

By any chance did you just try using a different phone or tablet?

I got those same responded when trying to use my Samsung tab S. My mavic only seems to want to work right on my note 4

I changed phones but using the same model.

I fly in a big city almost 90% of the time. Not having problem at all. Did you fly near big cell towers or very high voltage power lines?

Could you explain what you meant by "once I got above the recommended 16ft"?

Weak signal warning can be because you did not point the antenna properly. The flat part of the antenna should be facing the drone (instead of facing the ground).

As for calibration, as all the staff members have suggested, only do it if the App ask for it. Hey...you are probably a VVIP, all the staff members are helping you! ;)

I wasn’t near any cell towers. I was in a park. No power lines neither. It was acting slightly weird in the Catskills but after that nothing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000