DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The reason why I pre ordered the Mavic Air.

JoshuaCarlton

Reactions
I was a fairly early Mavic Pro adopter, coming from a Phantom 3 advanced I was exited about the portability, but if I am being completely honest, I just fell into the hype. The fact that it was almost impossible to get my hands on one just made me want it that much more. When the bird finally arrived I was pretty bummed out in the cameras performance. This was all before we learned about using plus one in sharpening to compensate for the lazy built in noise reduction. I ended up learning Premier Pro to edit including Neat video so I could have better control over the noise reduction and started getting results that I was fairly happy with albeit a lot of work in post. Then on a whim I purchased a Spark from Best Buy knowing it would be easy to return if it was just a toy. To my suprise even though it only filmed in 1080 I noticed straight out of the camera the footage had no noticeable noise, artifacts or moire. Even shooting in auto it just looked great straight out of the camera. The only real downside was the 1080 looked a little soft but was passable watching it on an iPad. Fast forward to this mornings launch and I have to say from the videos I have been watching it looks like the camera on the Mavic Air is a lot better! The same noise free footage with no water color effect but in beautiful 4k. I know she doesn’t fly as long, or as far but if I am right and this bird can deliver 4k without jumping through all those hoops count me in! Sorry for the long winded explanation. I just have high hopes that DJI finally found a way to make 4k look great on a tiny sensor. If you get a chance, watch a few YouTube videos especially this one.

I'll gamble with trying the AC after they become available on Amazon, that way I can have an easier return in case I am not satisfied. I am enjoying my MPP so far and looking forward to the true successor, the MA is clearly not it.

@JoshuaCarlton, I rather you be long winded, than short and sweet. It's good to read what other drone pilots think.

Reactions: Mblumster
you need to wait until a member on here posts some real footage from the Mavic Air, looking at the scenes from around the world that video looks like its taken some serious time to make. And dare I say it have the photographers actually used an Air to take these shots?
I think its called "advertisers puff" ! Seen it done with cameras many times and lenses fitted to pro cameras to make the shots better than the average user will get.

you need to wait until a member on here posts some real footage from the Mavic Air, looking at the scenes from around the world that video looks like its taken some serious time to make. And dare I say it have the photographers actually used an Air to take these shots?
I think its called "advertisers puff" ! Seen it done with cameras many times and lenses fitted to pro cameras to make the shots better than the average user will get.

I was thinking the Exact same thing.. how long did they take to make this video, all the destinations, without leaking any information? Even if it were a team of a few people, it would have taken weeks.

Ma

Mabye so, Hopefully as soon as I get it I will post some results.:)
Also, I completely realize there is tons of post work on the video I attached. My main excitement was it does seem like from other videos that DJI may have fixed the noise compression issues with the new Air. Time will tell.

I think the Air is using the same sensor as the Mavic Pro. My guess is that the Air is using a much better h.264 encoding chip. (Intel instead of that crappy Ambarella chip???)

I think that the Air is using not only a higher bit rate but a more effecient h.264 CODEC tool set. I also strongly suspect that the new Mavic Pro II will use pratically all the same chips and motherboard that were designed for this Air. I bet the Air and Pro II were designed together at the same time and will share the same R&D work.

I dunno....just a hunch!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoshuaCarlton
From what I have seen of the Mavic Air, it is truly amazing to see such rapid development of these tiny quads. I still love my Mavic, and get some really good images and footage from it. The thought of the Mavic 2 (or what ever DJI conjours up next) is pretty darn cool.
I just hope they retain Ocusync as it performs so well, and keep some form of display on the transmitter.

I'm going to wait for the Drone-World antenna mod and bundle before I even begin to think about jumping on the bandwagon. I am still 100% satisfied with my MP MaxxMod purchase.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne