DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Platinum The road to nowhere

There is nothing that replaces experience. And trust me, some of my early pieces were ripped to shreds in critiques in front of other professional photographers. When I finally got really serious about photography I worked for one of the finest portrait photographers in the area FOR FREE (part time) on the condition that he would teach me. So while YouTube has volumes to offer, nothing beats face to face learning.

Dismounting soap box.

Have a great Holiday season. Thanks for taking the time to help. And most importantly stay safe....[emoji111]️

There is nothing that replaces experience. And trust me, some of my early pieces were ripped to shreds in critiques in front of other professional photographers. When I finally got really serious about photography I worked for one of the finest portrait photographers in the area FOR FREE (part time) on the condition that he would teach me. So while YouTube has volumes to offer, nothing beats face to face learning.

Dismounting soap box.
Hello, Chicago Buddy:

Let me amplify what you just said. There can not be enough stress on face to face teaching and learning. We all understand that from our Covid experience. (My 18 year old grandson got into a hard college -USC- and is now home taking on-line courses!). He hates it.

Yes, you can read, and take video courses, You Tubes, etc. But nothing replaces face to face instruction. I struggled for 3 years after I started doing timelapse photography. I had no way to show my films! This was made even worse when I got my first drone. I have all of this great video and I didn't know how to edit video! I tried the community college here In Miami, I watched every You Tube, and I paid for a Creative Live 50 or 60 lesson video course by Abba Shapiro). I watched it over and over, but nothing sank in.

Finally, I saw an ad for a photography workshop. I called the instructor, who is in another state (Virginia). Long story short, rather than me flying to him, I paid to fly him here! He stayed in our spare bedroom for 3 nights. We fed him, and my wife talked his head off. We bonded. But he spent 3 full days with me at my Apple iMAC from breakfast to dinner! And that is the way I began to learn the basics of Adobe Premiere Pro.

So now you know the rest of the story!

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
So so true Dale. I’ve taught video editing for years for professional broadcasters and face-to-face it is possible to reach the most extreme technophobe. It’s all about getting the student to think through what they want to achieve in the video and then showing them the procedure on how to do it. Without thinking they learn the interface.

On day one I usually show a simple three step process, Ingest, drop clips on timeline, render. Once students see the simple workflow and understand they won’t delete media by mistake, they’re off.

Day two, edit a news story based on any clips they find on the storage network but they’re given a deadline before their edit ‘goes to air’.

And in two days they’ve got the hang of it. The remaining time is spent on the finer details and trying to get them to understand the importance of metadata.

So so true Dale. I’ve taught video editing for years for professional broadcasters and face-to-face it is possible to reach the most extreme technophobe. It’s all about getting the student to think through what they want to achieve in the video and then showing them the procedure on how to do it. Without thinking they learn the interface.

On day one I usually show a simple three step process, Ingest, drop clips on timeline, render. Once students see the simple workflow and understand they won’t delete media by mistake, they’re off.

Day two, edit a news story based on any clips they find on the storage network but they’re given a deadline before their edit ‘goes to air’.

And in two days they’ve got the hang of it. The remaining time is spent on the finer details and trying to get them to understand the importance of metadata.
I was really happy to see your letter! After about a year of doing Adobe Premiere Pro, I have gotten up the courage to experiment without the fear of messing everything up. So now I have delved into the various pre sets, and discovering new tricks every day by snooping around You Tube videos. Since I now know how the system works, I can get myself out of trouble pretty easily. Speed ramping, warp stabilization, etc. Here I come!

Hello, Chicago Buddy:

... I struggled for 3 years after I started doing timelapse photography....

So now you know the rest of the story!
Yep... And when this COVID thing is over I know I'll be spending some time in the Miami area where I hope I can convince you to tutor me on time lapse in person. You do it so well.

Thanks for sharing your skill, talent and stories.

Reactions: passedpawn
I was really happy to see your letter! After about a year of doing Adobe Premiere Pro, I have gotten up the courage to experiment without the fear of messing everything up. So now I have delved into the various pre sets, and discovering new tricks every day by snooping around You Tube videos. Since I now know how the system works, I can get myself out of trouble pretty easily. Speed ramping, warp stabilization, etc. Here I come!

And you’ll find just about every other traditional editor very easy to pickup should you ever need to.

After using Lightworks, Premiere Pro, Mediacomposer and Velocity I was pleased to see how easy it was to pickup Davinci Resolve. Fusion may take a little longer though!

We had a trainer that used her ‘twizzle stick’ to rap the knuckles of any trainee that went anywhere near the video effects tab. [emoji1]

Yep... And when this COVID thing is over I know I'll be spending some time in the Miami area where I hope I can convince you to tutor me on time lapse in person. You do it so well.

I’d love to join you on that too!! Howz about it Dale? [emoji41]

It would be my pleasure and there will be no discount, because you cannot discount free. Maybe a Cuban dinner? Let's set it up for a small group. Clearwater?

It would be my pleasure and there will be no discount, because you cannot discount free. Maybe a Cuban dinner? Let's set it up for a small group. Clearwater?

Count me in!!

Just need to knock this Covid thing on its head. Only 8-days and we can finally get home after 9-months stuck in the UK.

It would be nice to get to Florida before the winter is over up here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661