DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The science behind GPS and WiFi signal

Mikeez

Reactions
Hello,

I’ve seen a lot of people flying their drone up to 3000-6000 FT while still seeing an image on their phone/tablet.

How is it that when the drone is far away you can control it while still be able to see live what the drone is seeing.

I will put it in other words; if you’re flying very far as in 5000 FT away, how do you see live time video of the drone on your device?

Because they are both tranceivers, radio waves travell at the speed of light.

Thanks guys,

Is it the WiFi signal that’s on my phone and on my drone that’s doing the job? Or what?

Hi I think you will find that the reason you are able to see video and control your drone is down to the " LightBridge " transmition technology built into the Transceivers, and is nothing to do with the WiFi of your phone. ipad etc...:)

Hope this helps

Waylander

Mavics dont use Lightbridge, Pro uses occusync, Air uses 'enhanced' wifi, but your point is correct.

Hi Simmo

Oops yes my Bad... I meant it had a digitally controlled signal switching capability automatically selecting the optimum transmition frequencies in the 1.4 , 10 , or 20 MHz bands at either 720p or 1080p, and was not reliant on Wifi, which is what I thought the Op was enquiring about :)

Waylander

Reactions: rfc
On the Mavic Pro (Ocusync) it is not Wifi, but it uses a channel in the same frequency band as wifi around 2.4GHz. Waylander, you are getting confused with the channel bandwidths of 1.4 10 or 20MHz, the transmission frequency is always in the 2.4Ghz band but it can use different transmission techniques in that band.

On the Mavic Air it is some sort of Wifi, but it is the remote that's doing it, not your phone. The remote sends the picture to the phone using the USB connection.

To confuse further, I think you can link the phone to the remote using wifi instead of USB, or was that the Spark? I can't really see a reason for doing that when a bit of wire would do the job so much better. And you can also control the drone directly by wifi without using the remote.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHORod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato