DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 The Scottish Highlands

Awesome. I love Scotland. I wish I had a Mavic when I went, instead of the Spark. You got some great shots there! I'm glad you had a reasonably calm day tp fly at Ben Nevis. When we climbed it, my spark would have disappeared in the wind in seconds if I had tried to fly. What other locations did you get in there? I think I saw a shot of Glencoe, and maybe the Black Cuillin on Skye?

I'm glad you had a reasonably calm day tp fly at Ben Nevis. When we climbed it, my spark would have disappeared in the wind in seconds if I had tried to fly. What other locations did you get in there? I think I saw a shot of Glencoe, and maybe the Black Cuillin on Skye?

Yes it was crazy calm early that morning on Ben Nevis - I certainly lucked out there. Our first stop of this trip after we left Glasgow was Glencoe and that first shot in the video and a couple near the end are from there. The shot near the end of the cyclists was a single lane, slightly terrifying mountain road on the eastern edge of the Isle of Skye that led to the Glenelg Ferry. And then much of the open field footage was taken on the single lane road to the west of the Quiraing and some shots near the village of Uig. I realized that the reason I didn't get all those great shots that @AlbionDrones recently took was that it turned windy and rainy that day which felt very Scottish but made for poor flying.

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Yes it was crazy calm early that morning on Ben Nevis - I certainly lucked out there. Our first stop of this trip after we left Glasgow was Glencoe and that first shot in the video and a couple near the end are from there. The shot near the end of the cyclists was a single lane, slightly terrifying mountain road on the eastern edge of the Isle of Skye that led to the Glenelg Ferry. And then much of the open field footage was taken on the single lane road to the west of the Quiraing and some shots near the village of Uig. I realized that the reason I didn't get all those great shots that @AlbionDrones recently took was that it turned windy and rainy that day which felt very Scottish but made for poor flying.
The weather is the only thing that Scotland can't guarantee, but the scenery is just as stunning when it's 'atmospheric' as when its sunny, can't wait to get back up there in a few weeks... Tongue for a night, then a week on Orkney in late June, and then Uig on Skye and a night on Lewis and Harris in mid October - may try and get a larger drone for Lewis, the last time I was there the wind was 60mph!

A year ago my wife and I vacationed in the Scottish Highlands. To mark the occasion, the edited the best of my drone footage from our journey into a short video. It was a reminder that I need to work on filming a variety of shots when I fly as almost all the footage is just head on. Still, I tried to break it up with some overhead shots and ran a couple in reverse to change it up. Such beautiful country and I hope we get back there one day! Footage is primarily from Glencoe, Ben Nevis and the Isle of Skye.

Stunning footage!

Thank you! Still a little bummed I didn't get much footage during our Glenelg Circuit but weather wasn't cooperating that day. On the plus side, those shots up in the hills of Glencoe are probably the finest I've ever taken.
The footage is superb, makes my own recent trip and footage pale in comparison... I am inspired to do better :)

Thats the only problem in Scotland, can't guarantee the weather - of and the midges for 3 months...

We are off back to Tongue and then Orkney in late June, and the Skye and Lewis / Harris in October... Trying to persuade hubby I need a larger drone for the October trip as the winds may well be too much for the M3P :)

Reactions: Rhody Seth
A year ago my wife and I vacationed in the Scottish Highlands. To mark the occasion, the edited the best of my drone footage from our journey into a short video. It was a reminder that I need to work on filming a variety of shots when I fly as almost all the footage is just head on. Still, I tried to break it up with some overhead shots and ran a couple in reverse to change it up. Such beautiful country and I hope we get back there one day! Footage is primarily from Glencoe, Ben Nevis and the Isle of Skye.

Very cool, I liked the vid on Ben Nevis too, good beta from the trail eye view.

I'll be headed there in mid October for 3 weeks with my wife. Living at 8,000 feet in Colorado, we will probably tackle Ben if the weather lines up.

Question, I am seeing a fairly sizable orange Enhanced Warning Zone in the Highlands to the West on the DJI Geo map for all DJI drone types. I assume this is just an acknowledgment and box check that does not require a custom or Geozone unlock via the web?

Reactions: PaJi
Very cool, I liked the vid on Ben Nevis too, good beta from the trail eye view.

I'll be headed there in mid October for 3 weeks with my wife. Living at 8,000 feet in Colorado, we will probably tackle Ben if the weather lines up.

Question, I am seeing a fairly sizable orange Enhanced Warning Zone in the Highlands to the West on the DJI Geo map for all DJI drone types. I assume this is just an acknowledgment and box check that does not require a custom or Geozone unlock via the web?

Thanks! It was a fun hike and a memorable trip. I do hope we get back to Scotland sooner rather than later.

I can't speak to the Warning Zone - I don't recall getting any messages like that during any of my flights.

Nicely Done

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas