DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The truth about the Epson BT Epson glasses.

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Ok so I am an old guy new to droning and never played games on a consul. So, the whole thing is new to me, using sticks, flying drones, making movies, adding sounds and now using these augmented glasses. So, with an ossified and pickled old brain I will not be far off experiencing what others will experience with these new glasses no matter your background.

I just thought I needed to get this down while it’s still fresh in my mind for reference for anyone thinking of buying them.

Firstly, don’t believe these snazzy promo clips you see it’s just not true. There is a huge learning curve with these glasses and you will have accidents. Within a few days I drove my Mavic straight into a 30-meter sports ground light and totalled the Mavic. Admittedly I was flying into a rising sun and the forward sensors shut off. It’s disorientating, it’s difficult and you have to be very patient and the only way to get through it is to enjoy playing with them, take your time and expect it to take a long time

Don’t bother trying to see through the glasses you can’t, the two shades that come with the glasses are a waste of time one is too strong the other is too weak. The Rochester ones are the only ones worth bothering about and then as I said don't try to see through them look over the top of the glasses and look at what the drone sees and the go app instrument panel.

Is it worth it, yes it is, in the end although still occasionally it’s just good to leave all the stuff behind stick a decent phone on the RC and just fly. What’s good about it is you never have to look at the r/c. It can be awesome watching what the MP sees. It is great fun and it will help with your footage. It’s even better fun going into parts of buildings from a distance. Take care at first and go very, very slow.

So, if you have the cash, the time, the inclination and the patience of a saint you will be very well rewarded.

Now off to Phuket with a new set of eyes. Happy flying.

Thank you for sharing with us this experience. I am still in dillema, epson or dji googles. KSMUSA helped me a lot giving me informations about these glasses but still i do not know what to purchase.

Reactions: ksmusa
Well Chris I would never get the DJI goggles they are ugly, big and you can't keep line of sight.
It would be a good idea if we could go into a store and try them both out but I don't know anywhere like that in my city.

I sold my DJI goggles and fly with the Epson almost exclusively. While seeing my drones through the glasses is a bit challenging I find that I have excellent visual sight over the top of the glasses making it easy to focus back and forth from the screen to the drone. I can go on about what I like about them but in summary I am pleased with the experience, they were worth the money in my opinion.

I have very poor but correctable eyesight, and have been reluctant to try fpv goggles. The adjustments and optional inserts were inadequate for my needs. The Moverio solved my issues with full custom lens and providing line of sight at the same time, while the Mavic provided a fully integrated platform for flight video. While I am a Mavic newbie, I also have a DJI F450 with flat panel display. I am extremely happy so far, with my choices.

As my goal is to provide an activity interesting to my grandchildren, their active participation is desired. I have a secondary controller with CrystalSky display on order, and they will control the camera.

That made me laugh Wingnut73uk.2.5 years after, you did just give a thumbs up to the previous December 20, 2017. But even more relevant.
I don't own a mavic anymore apart from the Mavic MIni which cant be used with the BT glasses.
But just incase anyone sees this comment, have a Mavic and are wondering to buy the glasses.
I posted the following on the Phantom Pilots a while ago, its long, sorry but if you are thinking of getting the glasses it may be useful.

May 8, 2020
  • After many attempts, I eventually got the Go 4 app on my BT-300 and have been amazed by the difference between the BT-300s I bought about three years ago and the ones I have just ordered. I do not know what updates have caused the difference, but the differences are dramatic. I could never use the old ones in the bright mid-day Australian sun unless I put a black bag over my head.
    I bought the Epson Moverio BT-300 FPV-VR Combo - Rochester Optical

And it is amazing, truly amazing. I can now go out in the mid-day intense, Australian sun and see the Go 4 app as clear as the page you are looking at now. With a little shifting around with the nose attachment, I wear glasses that I have to look down using the bottom part of my glasses to read text, I can see every letter and number as if I were using a phone indoors. Really an incredible experience. I cannot compare the 300s with the later bt35e because I don’t have the latest ones. But I do not know how you can improve upon what I am seeing with the 300s. I have yet to see how they handle high heat and humidity, the old ones bombed out a lot in those pretty extreme conditions and you can’t use them with the Mavic Mini.

For me the ability to see all the data in the Go 4 app with perfect clarity and a tiny move up to see my P4P v2 in the sky on the brightest of days is just awesome.

Must sound like I am marketing for Epson, I am not, I am just so happy, at last, to be able to fly at any time in the day no matter the conditions. I don’t like rain or cold though so I will never know about those conditions.

Such a shame Epson do not have outlets in cities where you can go and try them on, if they did that, their sales would rocket.
    Big thanks to those who have helped.
    Sorry for the long post.
So if you are thinking of getting the glasses and have the resources, they are absolutely amazing and an incredible improvement over the originals.
They call the latest the second edition. I have no idea what is going on, maybe my original ones were defective? What I do know is the ones I bought recently are incredible.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Hi John,

Hope all is well in your part of the world. I bought my BT300 a year & a half ago with the Rochester Optical sunshield. I've been trying the 2 Epson shades as well but find the Rochester Optical to be the best in sunny conditions. So how does one identify an old BT300 from a new one. The box for mine says FPV edition; would that be a clue?

Hi f13dfx, I am very well, very lucky where I live, in Perth. I hope you are well in your part of the world.
I have no idea what has happened with the so called second edition. The ones I have had for about two years were no where near as good as the FPV ones I have just bought. I am sure the old ones were FPV. I agree the Rochester ones are the best. However, even the ones from Epson were extremely good.
Makes such a difference while flying, with out them I get very frustrated when losing my drone in the sky.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55