DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Theoretical max range for MA2

prestonrich

Reactions
I did a quick Calc for this subject. Using some basic trig I, determined that the horizon generally “falls” at an average rate ~of 6.3” per mile of distance. Make the assumptions (1) a substantially longer battery life (maybe by adding solar cells to the MA2), (2) flying one way from a home location with the RC at 100’ altitude, and the MA2 at 400’ altitude (3) a clear LOS to the horizon w/no incidents of interference or RF signal losses, (4) an average max tree (or bldg.) height of 100’ at the landing location in ideal weather conditions. The maximum range would be just short of 48 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ned Baron
I did a quick Calc for this subject.
The maximum range would be just short of 48 miles.
All you've done is calculate the line of sight distance from the drone at 400 ft.
Having a clear line of sight is only one factor needed to maintain signal.
Signal loss over distance is much more important and the signal will not hold over anything like the distance you've come up with.
Make the assumptions (1) a substantially longer battery life (maybe by adding solar cells to the MA2)
Your drone couldn't carry the weight of a solar cell that could provide enough juice to power it.

I did a quick Calc for this subject. Using some basic trig I, determined that the horizon generally “falls” at an average rate ~of 6.3” per mile of distance. Make the assumptions (1) a substantially longer battery life (maybe by adding solar cells to the MA2), (2) flying one way from a home location with the RC at 100’ altitude, and the MA2 at 400’ altitude (3) a clear LOS to the horizon w/no incidents of interference or RF signal losses, (4) an average max tree (or bldg.) height of 100’ at the landing location in ideal weather conditions. The maximum range would be just short of 48 miles.
There is also a hardcoded maximum distance of 11 miles discovered by long distance flyers using external batteries and amplified antenna setups.

There is also a hardcoded maximum distance of 11 miles discovered by long distance flyers using external batteries and amplified antenna setups.
I wonder if that max distance is something like the max distance in digital mobile phone technology .. where the signal packets can't be reassembled properly if you exceed that distance.
Could ocusync have a similar limitation?

I personally witness 23K FT. I guess the record with the factory battery is 27K able to return home. Many people have more distance on stock batteries but unable to return home.

A long ways.

MA2 is hard coded to drop the signal at 11km, which means it will go into RTH. There was a YT video from another country where someone flew it to 11km and back with a modded battery. Yes, the signal can carry 11km in perfect conditions--which are rare for most urban dwellers. You'll need to recalculate your figures, as the signal is never going to reach 48 miles. The farthest test I've seen on a stock battery is 8.5km each way. The MA2 specs list 18.5km total distance which is 9.25km each way. That limitation would be from the battery.

13K feet downrange is as far as I have ever flown my MA2 at an altitude of 400 feet, and that was from a hill overlooking a pancake flat valley with absolutely no obstructions for miles and miles. 13K is the point at which my signal reception indicator dropped to orange, and I RTHed.

MA2 is hard coded to drop the signal at 11km, which means it will go into RTH. There was a YT video from another country where someone flew it to 11km and back with a modded battery. Yes, the signal can carry 11km in perfect conditions--which are rare for most urban dwellers. You'll need to recalculate your figures, as the signal is never going to reach 48 miles. The farthest test I've seen on a stock battery is 8.5km each way. The MA2 specs list 18.5km total distance which is 9.25km each way. That limitation would be from the battery.
Is it 11 km or 11 miles? I seem to recall 11 miles, but it may have only been 11km.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78