DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There's QuickShots... then there's 5 second QuickLaunch

EyesWideShut

Reactions
Here's my solution to walking/hiking with a MM if you don't like backpacks. I 3D printed a iphone 7 holder (suggested by 2Alan_M here ) with a slight mod to accept my thicker Otterbox Defender case by heating and bending open the clips. Then I added a camera strap and put a elastic velcro band behind/around the holder and strapped in the Mini. The straps can hold the props if you want, I find it isn't needed. The camera and gimbal is protected and the MM is held snugly against the phone, arms folded or open.

For super quick launches, leave everything powered up and the MM arms out and after releasing the strap just manually start the motors (left and right sticks down and in) and lightly toss the MM start hovering in 5 seconds... at your own risk.... To minimize battery drain, I suggest to take the extra 30 seconds and have your phone on but to turn on the FC and Mini and wait to get GPS etc. before launching. I always have a spare battery or two in my pocket. No need to carry a launch pad as a hand launch/land is still my preferred way.

Here's a bunch of photos showing the mount and various views. I now see the cable to the phone was disconnected in a few photos.

MM_2816.jpg MM_2818.jpg MM_2819.jpg MM_2821.jpg MM_2825.jpg MM_2826.jpg MM_2827.jpg

...manually start the motors (left and right sticks down and in) and lightly toss the MM start hovering in 5 seconds... at your own risk.... To minimize battery drain, I suggest to take the extra 30 seconds and have your phone on but to turn on the FC and Mini and wait to get GPS etc. before launching...
Nice looking, compact, setup. You might want to insert a small, folded-up micro fiber towel between the phone and the Mini. It will guard against scratching the phone, add some cushion between the two, and is useful to do a quick clean of the phone face and Mini camera.

Instead of tossing, start the motors and just make a sudden downward movement while holding it. It will detect the drop an spin up the props to compensate. Then you just let go and it will hover. I second your recommendation to wait for GPS lock , set homepoint, etc.

Thanks for the comment on the setup and the micro cloth suggestion. In my case, the rear legs normally rest off the main screen display area, one leg on the side of the camera and the other off the side of the case. The front motors rest up on case sides and the elastic velcro is great for holding the AC firm and snug with little movement.

In the 5 sec launch joke about leaving everything powered on and tossing it up, gets it higher up quicker than the safer downward release (after all it is called QuickLaunch). Hopefully the AC hasn't timed out and the motors actually start at the toss apex and you are wearing a baseball glove.... ;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3