DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thermal paste

So was there ever really a verdict as to which heatsink compound is best? And does anyone have a link to “non conductive” thermal compound? I can only find conductive and I am ignorant to the difference between the two...especially of it doesn’t mean electrically conductive.

The mavic has big metal plates and there is plenty of clearance away from the electronics. There is no need for non conductive thermal compound. If you get thermal compound on the electronics, you have applied too much thermal compound.

@Mavic-Pilots If there isn’t thermal compound it will burn up ic chips. My Mavic has what looks to be modeling clay consistency thermal compound. The “big metal plate” is a what they call a heatsink. And it’s absolutely necessary to have compound in between the junctions of the heatsink and ic’s. Whoever says otherwise, well open yours up, clean off all the compound and fly it around for about 15 minutes in 80 degree temps. Then let me know when you are selling the spare parts cause I have a small list for you that I’ll throw you a few bucks for.

@TexasFlytography - Just to clarify - When I said "big metal plates", I am referring to the multiple metal plates on the PCB covering the ICs (which could be there for RF shielding as much as heat sinking). The "heat sink" they connect to (the bottom shell cover) appears to be plastic. I havent said dont use heat sink paste - simply that any heat sink compound that isnt runny will be fine. Guys above are talking about polishing the metal plates etc which seems unnecessary.

The metal plates on the PCB are textured, so out of the factory it is not a polished finish and this heat sink is not in the same class as a CPU heat sink for example. I personally dont think the heat
dissipation in that plastic cover is going to be very impressive, so next time I have the cover off I would be happy to run the drone while monitoring the metal covers on the PCB with a thermal camera.

@TexasFlytography - Just to clarify - When I said "big metal plates", I am referring to the multiple metal plates on the PCB covering the ICs (which could be there for RF shielding as much as heat sinking). The "heat sink" they connect to (the bottom shell cover) appears to be plastic. I havent said dont use heat sink paste - simply that any heat sink compound that isnt runny will be fine. Guys above are talking about polishing the metal plates etc which seems unnecessary.

The metal plates on the PCB are textured, so out of the factory it is not a polished finish and this heat sink is not in the same class as a CPU heat sink for example. I personally dont think the heat
dissipation in that plastic cover is going to be very impressive, so next time I have the cover off I would be happy to run the drone while monitoring the metal covers on the PCB with a thermal camera.
The bottom of the Mavic is made from galvanized aluminum. It’s not plastic. I remedied my heat problem by hardwiring two XT60’s into the Mavic instead of the battery clip. The heat sink is serving its purpose well, and I’m not having the overheating now that I do not use the clip.

Radio shack carries conductive past for heat sinks! And some computer stores as well!

I’m sure you meant Non-Conductive thermal paste? As Conductive would be counter productive in this situation.

So was there ever really a verdict as to which heatsink compound is best? And does anyone have a link to “non conductive” thermal compound? I can only find conductive and I am ignorant to the difference between the two...especially of it doesn’t mean electrically conductive.

I’m sorry about that because I’d made the assumption on an earlier post, electrically you’d want NON conducive paste, in this case you want Conductive for optimum heat transfer!, I cannot remember the number but GM makes an excellent thermal paste that has a very good texture to it! I’ve used it for CPU’s etc. with great success it doesn’t dry out but doesn’t get runny.

I wonder why DJI uses it then?

Because like was mentioned earlier heat is the killer of electronics! Every degree lower you can keep your board cpu etc extends your items life by months/years!,,
A lot of people are unaware of this. I had an old home built Gaming tower I’d put together, after burning up the CPU once and then both the MB and CPU the second time I installed the whole MB etc in a small freezer! This was way before there was liquid cooling. never had a bit of trouble after that for several years!,, then heat got me!, Dam house fire!!! Sons electric train set caught fire!

@Mavic-Pilots If there isn’t thermal compound it will burn up ic chips. My Mavic has what looks to be modeling clay consistency thermal compound. The “big metal plate” is a what they call a heatsink. And it’s absolutely necessary to have compound in between the junctions of the heatsink and ic’s. Whoever says otherwise, well open yours up, clean off all the compound and fly it around for about 15 minutes in 80 degree temps. Then let me know when you are selling the spare parts cause I have a small list for you that I’ll throw you a few bucks for.

I’d like the second attempt parts LoL your absolutely correct my friend!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3