DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Think carefully before purchasing if you’re in the EU and UK

What about the requirement that the drone "Must be designed and constructed to minimise injury" How do you define that?

a
I’m not going to argue with you. A lot of people aren’t aware of the changes as is evident in this thread. I’m just trying to help them spend their money wisely and not be cheesed off in two years when they have a drone that is more restricted than newer models.
If you’re going to get upset because people are trying to help other people, then this forum isn’t for you. It’s what we do here.
I wasnt aware...
I sold my M2P few months ago after a trip, havent been on in a while but ordered a new MA2 other day till I saw your thread.
Cancelled order.
Cant thank you enough as I will not wait for CE approved drone and fly closer with the competancy test (I'm a leisure flyer).

THANK YOU.

Reactions: Lastrexking
A very interesting thread, hearing everyone point of view. It would be nice if DJI themselves were to publish what they propose doing to comply with these regulations. It would be good for the reputation of DJI to keep their customers, and potential customers, informed of where this is going. They could also maybe think of some online training and certification facility for their customers. Regulations, controls and checks are something everyone is going to have to accept and live with, better it’s facilitated by the people who sell you the drone. We also have to accept that we have to be responsible operators, A drone, even a small drone, could do a huge amount of damage and mayhem in the hands of the stupid, insane or criminal.

Reactions: Lastrexking
A very interesting thread, hearing everyone point of view. It would be nice if DJI themselves were to publish what they propose doing to comply with these regulations. It would be good for the reputation of DJI to keep their customers, and potential customers, informed of where this is going. They could also maybe think of some online training and certification facility for their customers. Regulations, controls and checks are something everyone is going to have to accept and live with, better it’s facilitated by the people who sell you the drone. We also have to accept that we have to be responsible operators, A drone, even a small drone, could do a huge amount of damage and mayhem in the hands of the stupid, insane or criminal.

Your idea is logical but it will cost dji alot to invest in such a move. Plus, if anything happens, Dji will be liable for any damage because they are the ones conducting the facility training with student.

If you do a bit of background reading and compare the European EASA rules with DJI developments, it seems pretty obvious that DJI have managed to put themselves in the driving seat and 'give' the EASA the words to make it easy for both. DJI have always been the leader in geo-fencing and released their drone-to-phone app' last year to pick up broadcasted ID info from drones. The major difference in the rules from a manufacturers point of view is the need for both of these facilities. DJI have VERY little work to do to make an EASA Class-compliant UAV - it just looks like a matter of speed-limiting Tripod mode, and making it possible for Go4 / Go Fly to allow you (or force you?) to enter your Operator registration number - so that becomes part of the broadcasted ID info.

Last edited:
I wasnt aware...
I sold my M2P few months ago after a trip, havent been on in a while but ordered a new MA2 other day till I saw your thread.
Cancelled order.
Cant thank you enough as I will not wait for CE approved drone and fly closer with the competancy test (I'm a leisure flyer).

THANK YOU.
It will be probably allowed to re-certificate drones that are already on market. See pictures. DJI has two options -> either retrofit (probably some old drones, which is unlikely DJI will do that) or by software upgrade (might be with higher probability the Mavic Air 2). Drones like Mavic Air 2 might need only software update, after that you getting from dji new sn, new declartion of conformity... See pictures

Polish aviation authority stated that EASA informed the national aviation authorities about this conversion --> Możliwość nadania "starym" dronom klas zgodnych z normami UE - ULC Use google translate.

Attachments

• post-32493-0-50546500-1604256690.jpg
    post-32493-0-50546500-1604256690.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
It will be probably allowed to re-certificate drones that are already on market. See pictures. DJI has two options -> either retrofit (probably some old drones, which is unlikely DJI will do that) or by software upgrade (might be with higher probability the Mavic Air 2). Drones like Mavic Air 2 might need only software update, after that you getting from dji new sn, new declartion of conformity... See pictures

Polish aviation authority stated that EASA informed the national aviation authorities about this conversion --> Możliwość nadania "starym" dronom klas zgodnych z normami UE - ULC Use google translate.
The EASA rules are very concise in stating that they will NOT allow retrospective certification of existing drone models. Any drone that does not have a new certification label will be classed as a Legacy UAV and must fly under rules accordingly. Unfortunately - the only way you will get a drone that is conforming with EASA rules, is to wait until DJI produce models that are manufactured to those spec's and are labelled with the appropriate EASA class label.

The EASA rules are very concise in stating that they will NOT allow retrospective certification of existing drone models. Any drone that does not have a new certification label will be classed as a Legacy UAV and must fly under rules accordingly. Unfortunately - the only way you will get a drone that is conforming with EASA rules, is to wait until DJI produce models that are manufactured to those spec's and are labelled with the appropriate EASA class label.
It's also EASA, who informed the national aviation authorities about this conversion. This is at least what the polish aviation authority states. The picture is as I heard from a powerpoint Presentation of the european commission.

After the conversion via software upgrade (for drones with the required tech) or retrofit ( for old drones, which do not have the required hardware), the drone gets new sn and the conformities. When the conversion is done, the drone is considered according to that presentation as "new product", thats probably why it will get the new SN and also new conformity.

All this depends on DJI. If it is possible, DJI might ask fees for the conversion probably via software upgrade (DJI Mavic Air 2 and also maybe Mavic 2 are the ones, which might be able to upgraded via software to comply the new regulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
Its also EASA, who informed the national aviation authorities about this conversion. This is at least what the polish aviation authority states. The picture is as I heard from a powerpoint Presentation of the european commission.

After the conversion via software upgrade (for drones with the required tech) or retrofit ( for old drones, which do not have the required hardware), the drone gets new sn and the conformities. When the conversion is done, the drone is considered according to that presentation as "new product", thats probably why it will get the new SN and also new conformity.

All this depends on DJI. If it is possible, DJI might ask fees for the conversion probably via software upgrade (DJI Mavic Air 2 and also maybe Mavic 2 are the ones, which might be able to upgraded via software to comply the new regulation.
I would be very careful about that interpretation, as this whole subject was debated quite heavily over this last year. The EASA reg's (by my interpretation) state that a Legacy drone can fly Open Category - class A3 without the Operator sitting any exams. In the UK it has been proposed that an Operator can sit a class A2 qualification, and that will allow that Operator to fly that UAV (without a class label) as though it were an A2 - but that ability was limited to 2 years - after which the Operator would have to purchase an EASA class Logo'd drone.

Reactions: old man mavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d