DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Think we may find a improvement for the Mavic 3 gps issues tried it today and it works went from 6 min to 1min 20sec after firmware refresh

I did the Firmware update and I was able to get the Home Point on 10 Sats instead of 12 I am not sure if it was fluke, I am waiting to fly again tonight when the storm comes rolling in off the lake

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: VenomXts
Have you tried a different location yet?
No I didn’ but in my current location use to be the mavic 3 would take up to 1min 33sec to lock on to 12 satellite. But since firmware .500 it’s been taking up to 6 to 7 min to lock on to 12 sat until today when I refresh the firmware with with Dji assistant 2 for consumer drone. this was on cold start up where it takes for after the new firmware update.500

No I didn’ but in my current location use to be the mavic 3 would take up to 1min 33sec to lock on to 12 satellite. But since firmware .500 it’s been taking up to 6 to 7 min to lock on to 12 sat until today when I refresh the firmware with with Dji assistant 2 for consumer drone. this was on cold start up where it takes for after the new firmware update.500
I bet you will find when you change locations the gps connect time will be longer and closer to the 3-5 minutes. I have tried what you did and it did not help after changing locations.

I bet you will find when you change locations the gps connect time will be longer and closer to the 3-5 minutes. I have tried what you did and it did not help after changing locations.
Did you get the Home Point at 10 Sats by chance. ?

Phatomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Probably you went from 6 minutes to 1:20 sec probably because you do not went from cold boot.
Let me explain. When you first turn on the drone and controller will take very long to obtain satellites. If you turn off the drone and back ON for example after swap batteries you will notice the drone acquire satellites faster. For some reason if you do not use the drone for long hours the drone take longer to acquire satellites.

I find out this and tested multiples times with the same result. The same thing happened to the Mavic Air 2S but the Air 2S does not take as long as the M3.

After you firmware refresh, just wait to the next day and try the same and let us know the results.

Last edited:
Probably you went from 6 minutes to 1:20 sec probably because you do not went from cold boot.
Let me explain. When you first turn on the drone and controller will take very long to obtain satellites. If you turn off the drone and back ON for example after swap batteries you will notice the drone acquire satellites faster. For some reason if you do not use the drone for long hours the drone take longer to acquire satellites.

I find out this and tested multiples times with the same result. The same thing happened to the Mavic Air 2S but the Air 2S does not take as long as the M3.

After you firmware refresh, just wait to the next day and try the same and let us know the results.
IMO all of this testing should not have been necessary in the first play. Come on people! Another reason for me to wait before purchasing M3.

Ok waited until today to do another test, it as been raining all day, it just stop raining for a little bit. Took the Mavic 3 out turn the RC pro on drone on waited for fly app to launch started the timer on my iPhone, the results 13 satellites in 1min 50 seconds. I was concerned about the cloud covered sky, it’s been cloudy all day haven’t seen the sun lol. But the Mavic 3 still did better than I expected seeing that It was taking up to 7min to lock on to satellites.

I spoke with DJI today over the phone and they ask me to send my previous videos of the Mavic 3 taking up 7min to lock on to satellites, so that they can forward it to the engineers. And at the same time they told me to try and refresh the firmware. I didn’t tell them that I refresh The firmware already, but that’s what they told me to do. I use DJI assistant 2 for consumer drone to refresh firmware on the drone and RC pro. So far so good way better that 6min. Because before.500 update my Mavic 3 never go over 2min to upload the home point no matter the location. Is this the answer to refresh the firmware? I don’t know, but it’s working for me so far. Obviously DJI still need to fix this as they say that they are looking into it so hopefully a update will be here very soon.

Ok waited until today to do another test, it as been raining all day, it just stop raining for a little bit. Took the Mavic 3 out turn the RC pro on drone on waited for fly app to launch started the timer on my iPhone, the results 13 satellites in 1min 50 seconds. I was concerned about the cloud covered sky, it’s been cloudy all day haven’t seen the sun lol. But the Mavic 3 still did better than I expected seeing that It was taking up to 7min to lock on to satellites.

I spoke with DJI today over the phone and they ask me to send my previous videos of the Mavic 3 taking up 7min to lock on to satellites, so that they can forward it to the engineers. And at the same time they told me to try and refresh the firmware. I didn’t tell them that I refresh The firmware already, but that’s what they told me to do. I use DJI assistant 2 for consumer drone to refresh firmware on the drone and RC pro. So far so good way better that 6min. Because before.500 update my Mavic 3 never go over 2min to upload the home point no matter the location. Is this the answer to refresh the firmware? I don’t know, but it’s working for me so far. Obviously DJI still need to fix this as they say that they are looking into it so hopefully a update will be here very soon.

You tried it again in the same spot as originally tested?

Reactions: dirkclod
IMO all of this testing should not have been necessary in the first play. Come on people! Another reason for me to wait before purchasing M3.
Well I wouldn’t say I am testing, somebody posted a video on YouTube about refreshing the firmware. I spoke to DJI today and they said that they would forward to there engineers the long wait time to lock to satellites, but in the mean time they told me to try refreshing the firmware on the drone and Rc pro. But I didn’t tell them that I did already, because I wanted to hear what they would tell me to do. I take the drone out today for the second time since the refresh yesterday, and I am getting under 2min for the drone to upload the home point. This is way better than the 6min it was taking to upload the home point. Is this a fix for the gps issues? I don’t know but people are obviously calling them about it and they said that they have forwarded the issue to the engineers so most likely a update will be released soon. But for now refreshing firmware with DJI assistant 2 for consumer drone, on the Mavic 3 seems to be working for me as well as others that I have been talking to, some people are seeing 15-30 for the home point to be uploaded.

Reactions: sancap
Well I wouldn’t say I am testing, somebody posted a video on YouTube about refreshing the firmware. I spoke to DJI today and they said that they would forward to there engineers the long wait time to lock to satellites, but in the mean time they told me to try refreshing the firmware on the drone and Rc pro. But I didn’t tell them that I did already, because I wanted to hear what they would tell me to do. I take the drone out today for the second time since the refresh yesterday, and I am getting under 2min for the drone to upload the home point. This is way better than the 6min it was taking to upload the home point. Is this a fix for the gps issues? I don’t know but people are obviously calling them about it and they said that they have forwarded the issue to the engineers so most likely a update will be released soon. But for now refreshing firmware with DJI assistant 2 for consumer drone, on the Mavic 3 seems to be working for me as well as others that I have been talking to, some people are seeing 15-30 for the home point to be uploaded.
Wether you are testing or not your analysis is flawed. Until you move to another location, lets say 30 minutes from where you have been doing this you are just guessing if this is a fix.

The drone typically knows where it is from the last GPS lock and until you move and test again you are spreading mis information.

I certainly wished this is a fix but I have done it and moved to another location with the same 2-6 minute GPS lock. So I say this is not a fix.

Wether you are testing or not your analysis is flawed. Until you move to another location, lets say 30 minutes from where you have been doing this you are just guessing if this is a fix.

The drone typically knows where it is from the last GPS lock and until you move and test again you are spreading mis information.

I certainly wished this is a fix but I have done it and moved to another location with the same 2-6 minute GPS lock. So I say this is not a fix.
Ok question, why since the .500 firmware in the same location where I usually launch the Mavic 3 from it takes 6-7min to lock on to 12 satellites when it usually Takes under 2mins 1min 33 seconds exactly? Just so you know this was in all the locations that I flew the Mavic 3 on firmware .400

Ok question, why since the .500 firmware in the same location where I usually launch the Mavic 3 from it takes 6-7min to lock on to 12 satellites when it usually Takes under 2mins 1min 33 seconds exactly?
It's not exactly clear from your explanation, but it sounds like you are just referring to the difference between a cold boot and warm boot, which is quite normal for GPS receivers.

It's not exactly clear from your explanation, but it sounds like you are just referring to the difference between a cold boot and warm boot, which is quite normal for GPS receivers.
I am referring to cold boot, it wood take 1min 33sec for the Mavic 3 to lock on to 12 satellites. Then after flying on the first battery, I would change out the battery and on warm boot it lock on to 12-13 satellites immediately. But after .500 update it on cold boot it’s 6-7min. After refreshing the firmware yesterday on cold boot it’s back to locking on to 12 -13 satellites in under 2min instead of 6-7 min.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I am referring to cold boot, it wood take 1min 33sec for the Mavic 3 to lock on to 12 satellites. Then after flying on the first battery, I would change out the battery and on warm boot it lock on to 12-13 satellites immediately. But after .500 update it on cold boot it’s 6-7min. After refreshing the firmware yesterday on cold boot it’s back to locking on to 12 -13 satellites in under 2min instead of 6-7 min.
Can you please try a cold boot from a brand new location?

It would also help if each person experiencing the issue would report whether they are using the RC-Pro or the RC-N1 RC, and if the latter, whether an iOS or Android device, and how they updated the FW of the aircraft and the controller. It could be an Android issue, or it could be just limited to the RC-Pro. I'm experiencing the problem with the RC-Pro, and I did all updates through the RC-Pro, over Wifi, rather than hardwired with Assistant 2. It could be that the static data referred to above wasn't properly flushed with the update over the RC-Pro. It apparently isn't affecting all users, just a subset. The more we can learn about what this subset has in common, the quicker we can find a resolution.

Reactions: Wade L.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52