DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about getting first drone but nervous about a few things

Tip: Don't always quote the law at people. You can fly a lot more places than people think, as long as you follow the rules. This includes your neighbor's yard. You may have a neighbor get upset, because they assume you are filming them for some reason, or they think their property line extends into space. It doesn't.

But why argue it. Especially during Covid, I practice a lot out of my yard. I try to always be at least 150 feet before going over someone else's yard so its not like I am looking in windows etc.

One day I was out and a guy starts shouting to get my attention down the block. Turns out it is neighbor from down the street. He says "it looks like fun, but please don't fly over my yard." I am in the right here, but why piss him off, I confirm his location and say sure, I don't even quote the law to him.

Out of curiosity I went back and checked all my flight paths. I have touched the edge of his yard line 3 times and been over the center of it twice in 6 months. But I did do a lot of images of the street construction between our yards. So I really haven't been there, but he was feeling uncomfortable.
Oh yeah totally agree. I'm not going to fly over my neighbors property I decided. I'll ask if I have the urge to. If they don't want me flying over their house I think that's pretty reasonable and I'd respect their wishes. My one neighbor has a drone though so he probably won't care :D

Tip: Don't always quote the law at people. You can fly a lot more places than people think, as long as you follow the rules. This includes your neighbor's yard.

I hope you don't mean taking off, landing or operating IN his yard but rather flying OVER his yard.
Duh!

Got a few flights in, loving this thing so far! Super impressive piece of technology for the price. I want to start going a little further out by flying over some houses and over a school sports field across the street but I'm still nervous someone's gonna get pissed. You can barley hear the thing at like 300 feet though so not sure if anyone would ever notice.

Reactions: A.O.
Got a few flights in, loving this thing so far! Super impressive piece of technology for the price. I want to start going a little further out by flying over some houses and over a school sports field across the street but I'm still nervous someone's gonna get pissed. You can barley hear the thing at like 300 feet though so not sure if anyone would ever notice.
I’m thinking you are right about nobody noticing.

Reactions: philly115
I’m thinking you are right about nobody noticing.
If you take your eye off it, more than a couple hundred feet out, you can lose it. So in general its the neighbors who are close when you take off and land. My only complaint was because I was lower photographing some road work. So at 100 feet he noticed it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada