DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking of buying the Classic 3

Also as a retired professional photog variable aperture is important to me too. That too is my #1 criitera for my next drone.

@moldorf noted above the Mavic 3 is availble as a refurb now. THAT is the way to go, for sure. $1650, with RCN1 controller. I have a refurb Mavic 2 pro and there is/was nothing about it that even hinted that it had been refurburbished at any time. It carries the same warranty as a "new" never-been-owned DJI drone. Though it should be pointed out that the price difference depends the "bundle" that DJI provides.

I was thinking M3 Classic, "drone only" at $1469... but they mean DRONE ONLY. No controller, but NO BATTERY either!!!! So to get the battery you have to add $200 to that price. So you can't escape purchasing a controller, The $1600 bundle includes the RCN1 and a battery, a charger and a couple cables.

So Moldorf was right. A refurbished M3 IS only $40 more than the Classic. That's what I'd be doing iif I were buying a new drone today... I don't NEED another drone, but it is enticing. If I can get a refurb from B&H I might just bite.

I hate the way DJI bundles stuff and how they sell stuff ala carte. It reminds me how American cars used to be bundled (and caused me to buy my very first non-American car).

Edit... ONE MORE THING!!!
Not sure if you're in the US, but I love to buy my drone (and other) stuff at B&H in NYC. They have this thing called the Payboo card. If you use the card to purchase your gear, they discount the tax, which is 10%-10.25% here. On a $1600 purchase that saves me $160. DJI or other retailers, including Amazon will charge me the full tax. I always pay the card THE NEXT DAY after receiving the goods and decide to keep the stuff to avoid any interest charges. Works quite well and can save a lot of money.

View attachment 156979

View attachment 156980

fortunately, I live in Oregon which has no sales tax so I never have to worry about tax in my online (or otherwise) buys

I used the $1599 for the M3 Classic to keep it an equivalent comparison of drone+RC-N1+65W charger. I think that's an apples to apples and that ends up $1639 (M3) vs $1599 (M3C)

the thing is, neither of those deals is enough. I would want, at least, a couple of extra batteries, the 3way charger, plus accessories

* for the M3 Classic, DJI has the FMC for $649....meaning you get the drone+3 batteries+RC-N1+charging hub+65W charger+carry bag+ accessories for $1599+649 = $2248

* for the Mavic 3
, DJI is selling it in a FMC. You get everything in the M3 Classic FMC, BUT, you also get a set of 4 ND filters. The price is $2279

Buy DJI Mavic 3 (Refurbished Unit) - DJI Store

in other words you can get a refurbished Mavic 3 + FMC for only 31 dollars more than a new M3 Classic + FMC. And for that 31 extra dollars you get the 7X zoom with lockable gimbal plus a ND filter set. Since I do not believe there is a substantial difference between new drones and refurbished-by-DJI drones, I'm having a hard time seeing the appeal of the M3C over the M3

Reactions: DanJ
BUT WAIT A MINUTE....!!!!

The top image below shows B&H's bundle including a battery and more props than the DJI image below!!!

If this is the case then I should surely go with the B&H deal, because I have two compatible controllers and all I would need is an extra battery! The Classic with an extra battery would cost me $1678 OUT THE DOOR shipped free, no tax!!!

Were I to buy the M3 Refurb plus a battery, where I would pay tax the bottom line out-the-door price would be $2020. So now the difference, for me between the M3 refurb and the Classic would be $350. Tax and packaging changes the game, if in fact B&H are selling eh Classiic with no remote WITH the battery as illustrated.

View attachment 156981

View attachment 156982
Thank you for the info. BTW, I'm from Canada and did buy my Air 2S from B&H.
Since refurbs aren't available on the DJI store in Canada they might be on the B&H store?

I have the DJI Air 2 S , recently bought the Mavic 3 Classic with much improved image sharpness and and enhanced colors ! Go for it and enjoy it !
Best of luck.
Regards,
Ajay
Thanks for this reply. So to double-check, you have the Air 2 S and use it with the RC Pro, and it also works with the Mavic 3 Classic? I am in the same boat as the OP: Looking to grab the drone only (when it becomes available) to pair with my RC Pro.

I have the Mavic 3 Classic and the RC Pro. They work great together.

I purchased the Air2S when they sold it with the RC Pro. So when I purchased the Mavic 3 Classic I purchased it with the RC. Then after updating everything I paired the Air2S with the RC and the Mavic 3 Classic with the RC Pro. Everything on both systems work well together.
You could of course just use the RC Pro for both, I just like two separate systems.

A footnote: I originally purchased the Mavic 3 Classic with the FlyMore kit for $649 and ended up returning it as the bag was very bulky and heavy.

I found this bag that is about 1/2 the size and weight and fits everything for $25:

Two DJI Intelligent Flight Batteries ($208 each): $416
DJI Charging Hub for Mavic 3 batteries: $85.
Bag for the drone, batteries and Controller: $25.

So all in - if purchased separately: $526

The DJI FlyMore kit does include a car charger, this is a $79 adder.

So if you think you will need the car charger, save yourself a few more dollars and purchase a 500w inverter for your vehicle and use it to charge your laptop, controller, batteries, etc.

Last edited:
I have the Mavic 3 Classic and the RC Pro. They work great together.

I purchased the Air2S when they sold it with the RC Pro. So when I purchased the Mavic 3 Classic I purchased it with the RC. Then after updating everything I paired the Air2S with the RC and the Mavic 3 Classic with the RC Pro. Everything on both systems work well together.
You could of course just use the RC Pro for both, I just like two separate systems.

A footnote: I originally purchased the Mavic 3 Classic with the FlyMore kit for $649 and ended up returning it as the bag was very bulky and heavy.

I found this bag that is about 1/2 the size and weight and fits everything for $25:

Two DJI Intelligent Flight Batteries ($208 each): $416
DJI Charging Hub for Mavic 3 batteries: $85.
Bag for the drone, batteries and Controller: $25.

So all in - if purchased separately: $526

The DJI FlyMore kit does include a car charger, this is a $79 adder.

So if you think you will need the car charger, save yourself a few more dollars and purchase a 500w inverter for your vehicle and use it to charge your laptop, controller, batteries, etc.

How do you find image quality between the two drones? Significant or just a little different?

There's a significant difference in video quality.
I didn't jump on board when it first came out because of the zoom lens, always considered it useless. Having the adjustable aperture of 2.8-11 makes a big difference for video and photos.
Having side sensing and the longer flight time keeps you focused on what your shooting.
Just note that if you shoot in DLOG, the ND filters are not out yet for the Classic. Assuming any day though. Keep the Air2S as a backup - its a great drone

There's a significant difference in video quality.
I didn't jump on board when it first came out because of the zoom lens, always considered it useless. Having the adjustable aperture of 2.8-11 makes a big difference for video and photos.
Having side sensing and the longer flight time keeps you focused on what your shooting.
Just note that if you shoot in DLOG, the ND filters are not out yet for the Classic. Assuming any day though. Keep the Air2S as a backup - its a great drone
Thank you!

I live in the mountains of NH and have no issues with shooting footage in 20+ MPH winds with the Mavic 3. The videos always come out clean. I usually draw the line at 30mph Gusts but even then it will fly it no problem in sport mode.

This cut/paste earlier this week:

1668381624524.png

Attachments

• 1668381376103.png
    1668381376103.png
    111 KB · Views: 1
I was thinking M3 Classic, "drone only" at $1469... but they mean DRONE ONLY. No controller, but NO BATTERY either!!!! So to get the battery you have to add $200 to that price. So you can't escape purchasing a controller, The $1600 bundle includes the RCN1 and a battery, a charger and a couple cables.
The M3 Classic drone directly from DJI for $1469 also includes one battery and charger. It only excludes the RC-N1 controller. It's inside the drone, instead of pictured separately.

The M3 Classic drone directly from DJI for $1469 also includes one battery and charger. It only excludes the RC-N1 controller. It's inside the drone, instead of pictured separately.
You may very well be correct. But the picture that DJI provided, see below, does not look like there is a battery inside the drone.

At that price, come spring, it may be that I will pick up another drone, possibly one of the M3's when the weather breaks. I do no expect to sell any of my "legacy" drones unless PHYSICALLY or electronically RID is imposed on them that cannot be turned off or removed. I want a good look at how RID pans out before I can be on board with it. I know that RID is an FCC mandated rule, but at best is controversial. But there are times that rules don't make sense- and can even be dangerous. I hope that's not the case with RID, but this is an area that has never been explored before.

You may very well be correct. But the picture that DJI provided, see below, does not look like there is a battery inside the drone.

At that price, come spring, it may be that I will pick up another drone, possibly one of the M3's when the weather breaks. I do no expect to sell any of my "legacy" drones unless PHYSICALLY or electronically RID is imposed on them that cannot be turned off or removed. I want a good look at how RID pans out before I can be on board with it. I know that RID is an FCC mandated rule, but at best is controversial. But there are times that rules don't make sense- and can even be dangerous. I hope that's not the case with RID, but this is an area that has never been explored before.
The pic does not show the battery inside the drone,but yes it is included in the write ups.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
doesn't look like it includes the charger

1668448415510.png

so then you'd have to add $82 for the 3-way charging hub (Amazon) or $79 or the 65W charger (Amazon)

Buy DJI Mavic 3 Classic - DJI Store

Last edited:
doesn't look like it includes the charger
The pic does not show the battery inside the drone,but yes it is included in the write ups.
View attachment 157109

so then you'd have to add $82 for the 3-way charging hub (Amazon) or $79 or the 65W charger (Amazon)

Buy DJI Mavic 3 Classic - DJI Store

Like a lot of DJI listings one has to dig for compatibility, what's included and they make their packaging extremely user un-friendly.

As an example, I had to go into the weeds to see which drones the RC Pro is compatible with. The DJI RC one moment is only compatible with one drone, now it's a couple, now presumably the Mini 3, and Mavic 3 and Air2s(?). Has someone spent $1200 on the RC Pro in that time lapse when they would have purchased the DJI RC for 1/4 the money if they had known it would be available for their drone?

And the Mavic 3... You couldn't (still can't?) buy it without either the RCN1 or the RC Pro. You could use a previously owned RCN1 or a DJI RC or even a previously owned RC Pro for the Mavic 3. But now the Mavic 3 Classic can be purchased without a controller.

And as long as I'm complaining, to get new features for the Mini 3 you have to update to a firmware version which turns on RID, which can't be turned off, even if your flying status doesn't require it. Gosh... I wish a serious competitor would step up. And while my Mini 1 two+ years ago was only $400 Mini 2 was $600 and now the Mini 3 is $900, It's not even just about price for me any more.

And pray you get a good one. Just spent all day on and off talking with customer service. "Reset the drone and re test". "Refresh the firmware and retest" "Try d-cinelike instead of Dlog" OMG!!! The M3C doesn't support d-cinelike!!! "This is probably normal" Colors massively shifting sporadically is normal? "We will have to send this to senior engineers please wait a few days to hear back". I think it would have been easier to run it into a brick wall and use refresh. Good Grief!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078