DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking of buying the Classic 3

I have to wonder how many people who originaly bought the M3 are wondering why they paid so much when what they needed could so much cheaper with so many more options?
I originally bought the Mavic 3, eyes wide open, in December, knowing full well that it wasn't yet a finished product, and made the most of what it did, from the "get go," which was offer 33 minutes of flight time with a 4/3 sensor and an experimental 28x digital zoom. That alone was worth the upgrade from the Mavic 2 Pro. Each new update added extra features. Every update was a new Christmas. The new price has come down from $2200 by $150, and the features have been massively improved. I have no regrets, and I just doubled down by buying a second DJI Refurbished Mavic 3 for $1639 from DJI. No way I am giving up the 7x telephoto to save $40 over the $1599 of the Classic, just because it is new and not DJI refurbished! After the last FW update, the Mavic 3 can do everything the classic can, and so much more, for just $40 more! Don't settle for less! The Mavic 3 Classic is the ripoff, not the Mavic 3!

Reactions: Cosmo0g and DanJ
I originally bought the Mavic 3, eyes wide open, in December, knowing full well that it wasn't yet a finished product, and made the most of what it did, from the "get go," which was offer 33 minutes of flight time with a 4/3 sensor and an experimental 28x digital zoom. That alone was worth the upgrade from the Mavic 2 Pro. Each new update added extra features. Every update was a new Christmas. The new price has come down from $2200 by $150, and the features have been massively improved. I have no regrets, and I just doubled down by buying a second DJI Refurbished Mavic 3 for $1639 from DJI. No way I am giving up the 7x telephoto to save $40 over the $1599 of the Classic, just because it is new and not DJI refurbished! After the last FW update, the Mavic 3 can do everything the classic can, and so much more, for just $40 more! Don't settle for less! The Mavic 3 Classic is the ripoff, not the Mavic 3!
Just the man I want to talk to...
3 weeks after buying my Mini 1 in 2020 I bought a REFURBISHED Mavic 2 Pro from Drone Nerds w/FMC. The packaging looked new . The drone looked spankin' new. Not one hint that it had ever been flown, damaged or repair and has been perfect ever since. If the experience would be the same I would definitely get a refurb M3, possibly buying it soon, though having to pass through my other half's giant birthday in a month. Maybe it would get me out flying in the winter? I dunno. The long battery life is something I've been enjoying a lot with my Mini 3 w/extennded battery and I already have RCN1 and DJI RC controllers, so if the stripped down model comes with a battery and charger I could probably live with just that for a time, then pick up another battery. With my Mini 3 I rarely have to land the thing to change batteries and it gives me huge peace of mind. The Mavic 2 has "acceptable" flight time and I just bought a new FMC kit which I have not opened. I'd sell that kit, yet keeping the M2P as it's legacy features have a lot to offer (Litchi, et al, VR/FPV, compact controller, etc).

So what is your impression of the REFURISHED Mavic 3 in terms of comparative quality of the drone, components and packaging compared to what you would expect with a NEW, never-been-owned M3?

Just the man I want to talk to...
3 weeks after buying my Mini 1 in 2020 I bought a REFURBISHED Mavic 2 Pro from Drone Nerds w/FMC. The packaging looked new . The drone looked spankin' new. Not one hint that it had ever been flown, damaged or repair and has been perfect ever since. If the experience would be the same I would definitely get a refurb M3, possibly buying it soon, though having to pass through my other half's giant birthday in a month. Maybe it would get me out flying in the winter? I dunno. The long battery life is something I've been enjoying a lot with my Mini 3 w/extennded battery and I already have RCN1 and DJI RC controllers, so if the stripped down model comes with a battery and charger I could probably live with just that for a time, then pick up another battery. With my Mini 3 I rarely have to land the thing to change batteries and it gives me huge peace of mind. The Mavic 2 has "acceptable" flight time and I just bought a new FMC kit which I have not opened. I'd sell that kit, yet keeping the M2P as it's legacy features have a lot to offer (Litchi, et al, VR/FPV, compact controller, etc).

So what is your impression of the REFURISHED Mavic 3 in terms of comparative quality of the drone, components and packaging compared to what you would expect with a NEW, never-been-owned M3?
No difference at all, other than the big "RB Unit" sticker on the outside of the sealed box! Keep in mind that under DJI Care, you only get a refurbished drone back anyway, so might as well start with one! Best of all, all Refurbs are bench tested for full functionality by DJI before receiving that designation, and have the exact same 1 year warranty as new, and are also eligible for DJI Care. New drones are only spot checked. The Refurbished drones are all brand new drones that were returned to DJI within 7 days of purchase, and were either never flown, or had some minor manufacturing defect that has now been fixed. They definitely are not crashed, used drones, that have been repaired! Highly recommended, when available! Generally not available until 6-12 months after release! $1639 now!

Reactions: SmilingOgre
I'm getting closer and closer to buying a refurbished M3. The price has become really attractive. My wife will be out of town for pretty much all of December. That seems like a good time to but a 'new' drone!...:)

I wanted to ask you: I know the photo quality of the 7X is quite a bit less than the main camera. But how good is the video and photo quality of the main camera at 2X and 4X?

Reactions: SmilingOgre
I agree. Refurb over Classic. Buy DJI Mavic 3 (Refurbished Unit) - DJI Store

I'm getting closer and closer to buying a refurbished M3. The price has become really attractive. My wife will be out of town for pretty much all of December. That seems like a good time to but a 'new' drone!...:)

I wanted to ask you: I know the photo quality of the 7X is quite a bit less than the main camera. But how good is the video and photo quality of the main camera at 2X and 4X?
Actually, the 7x telephoto is excellent quality in good light. It's only limitations are its smaller 1/2” sensor and a fixed aperture of f/4.4. Both cameras tolerate a digital zoom on video up to 2x very well, which is 2x and 14x. Above 2x digital zoom, the degradation becomes apparent on both cameras. The optical 7x of the telephoto is far better than 3x or 4x digital zoom on the main camera. There is a gap between 4x and 7x, as it rolls over from the main camera at 4x to 7x on the telephoto camera in the Explore mode.

Reactions: Cosmo0g and moldorf
Actually, the 7x telephoto is excellent quality in good light. It's only limitations are its smaller 1/2” sensor and a fixed aperture of f/4.4. Both cameras tolerate a digital zoom on video up to 2x very well, which is 2x and 14x. Above 2x digital zoom, the degradation becomes apparent on both cameras. The optical 7x of the telephoto is far better than 3x or 4x digital zoom on the main camera. There is a gap between 4x and 7x, as it rolls over from the main camera at 4x to 7x on the telephoto camera in the Explore mode.
The tele lens amazes me.

Attachments

• Photo_6553787_DJI_187_jpg_12074745_0_202223171744_photo_original.jpg.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 14
  • Photo_6553786_DJI_186_jpg_4125454_0_202223171736_photo_original.jpg.jpeg
    Photo_6553786_DJI_186_jpg_4125454_0_202223171736_photo_original.jpg.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: GadgetGuy and DanJ
No difference at all, other than the big "RB Unit" sticker on the outside of the sealed box! Keep in mind that under DJI Care, you only get a refurbished drone back anyway, so might as well start with one! Best of all, all Refurbs are bench tested for full functionality by DJI before receiving that designation, and have the exact same 1 year warranty as new, and are also eligible for DJI Care. New drones are only spot checked. The Refurbished drones are all brand new drones that were returned to DJI within 7 days of purchase, and were either never flown, or had some minor manufacturing defect that has now been fixed. They definitely are not crashed, used drones, that have been repaired! Highly recommended, when available! Generally not available until 6-12 months after release! $1639 now!
I agree. When I bought my Refurb M2P there wasn't even a sticker on the box! And I agree that a Refurb is doing to be much more highly scrutinized than one that's come fresh off the line. If there is any change that B&H can score one, I'm in. But I may, because of the double-whammy of slightly higher price plus PUNITIVE sales tax rate may have to go with the Classic for a $300 savings. I have to wonder, based on how I fly, with the increased flight time of the M3/M3c if I need the extra battery on a practical level? With my Mavic 2, I don't even recall using more than 2 batteries. I tend to be very conservative on how far I push batteries to depletion. I LOVE the extended batteries on my Mini 3. The only time I've changed batteries when flying my Mini 3 is when I've flown, landed it and decided that I wanted to fly more, "just because" while there was still 30% left in the first batttery.

What I like about my Mavic 2 is that, being a legacy drone) I can do Litchi missions and use other 3rd party apps. Keeping the RCN1 controller, as much as I dislike this controller, will be essential to have cable output as I have a DroneMask can fly FPV with it. With the M3's cruise control feature it could largely replace Litchi Missions because the drone can almost fly itself while I can separately controll the yaw and gimbal while the cruise takes care of everything else.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Sadly here in Canada there is no such thing as "refurbished" on DJIs website.

Sadly here in Canada there is no such thing as "refurbished" on DJIs website.
I would check with Drone Nerds (Florida) or B&H, particularly Drone Nerds who have refurbs from time to time. I'm sure they will be glad to ship to Canada.

Reactions: DanJ and GadgetGuy
I would check with Drone Nerds (Florida) or B&H, particularly Drone Nerds who have refurbs from time to time. I'm sure they will be glad to ship to Canada.
I know B&H ship to Canada - have ordered small $$ value items from them and they have been great (just got an ND1000 filter for my Mini 3 today), but I’m not so sure for big ticket items like a drone. Once you pay the exchange, duty, shipping and taxes, I’m not so sure the price will be that different from buying a new one from an authorized dealer in Canada. You could actually end up paying more.

Chris

Reactions: DanJ
I know B&H ship to Canada - have ordered small $$ value items from them and they have been great (just got an ND1000 filter for my Mini 3 today), but I’m not so sure for big ticket items like a drone. Once you pay the exchange, duty, shipping and taxes, I’m not so sure the price will be that different from buying a new one from an authorized dealer in Canada. You could actually end up paying more.

Chris
Canada is an interesting place, for sure. So much of it is beautiful but the tax structure there is so much different than below your southern border [and trust me, I’m not so crazy about the one down here either]. Your Prime Minister has an interesting haircut.

Reactions: DanJ
Canada is an interesting place, for sure. So much of it is beautiful but the tax structure there is so much different than below your southern border [and trust me, I’m not so crazy about the one down here either]. Your Prime Minister has an interesting haircut.
Yes, nobody likes taxes but I can’t complain when they help pay for excellent universal healthcare, roads, etc.

Chris

Maybe in Canada.
Certainly not in the U.S.!
Have you seen our roads?
Political comment regarding “infrastructure “ bill withheld.

if you have the cash do it this is one bad *** Dji drone
I’ve now got a $300 credit at B&H as I returned the Mavic 2 FMC. The only thing keeping me from getting it now is the winter coming on. The warranty clock starts ticking and will wind down until April or may as will the care/refresh subscription. I’ve already paid the $300 credit card bill so mentally it would be like getting the M3C for $1200.

Will B&H have a refurb M3 at all? If they did it might push up my timetable. I’ve decided that there might be hidden warranty Care/ref issues if I go with the Amazon “renewed”. Getting essentially a 10% discount with a $300 credit from B&H I see as a real incentive to buy an M3 variant from them.

With the long life battery of the M3 I’m wondering if I can get by with only one battery for a time? If I can only get 30 min flight time per 46 min battery I would think that I might need only two when that time comes and could have the second in 2 days from ordering. With my M2 I rarely burn through more than two batteries. Other than the7x lens is there any reason not to go with the classic?

I’ve now got a $300 credit at B&H as I returned the Mavic 2 FMC. The only thing keeping me from getting it now is the winter coming on. The warranty clock starts ticking and will wind down until April or may as will the care/refresh subscription. I’ve already paid the $300 credit card bill so mentally it would be like getting the M3C for $1200.

Will B&H have a refurb M3 at all? If they did it might push up my timetable. I’ve decided that there might be hidden warranty Care/ref issues if I go with the Amazon “renewed”. Getting essentially a 10% discount with a $300 credit from B&H I see as a real incentive to buy an M3 variant from them.

With the long life battery of the M3 I’m wondering if I can get by with only one battery for a time? If I can only get 30 min flight time per 46 min battery I would think that I might need only two when that time comes and could have the second in 2 days from ordering. With my M2 I rarely burn through more than two batteries. Other than the7x lens is there any reason not to go with the classic?
how about:

buy the refurbished Mavic 3 from DJI for $1639 (with RC-N1, 65W charger, accessories)

use your $300 credit at B&H to buy a 2nd Mavic 3 battery for $209. That would leave you $91 credit for a 3-way charging hub ($82); or use the $91 credit balance and kick in $60 for an ND Filter set. Personally, I'd get both the charging hub and filter set as I think always charging the two batteries in the drone would be awkward

but if you were ok with that than for $1700 you could get the M3+RC-N1+2 Batteries+ND Filters+65W charger+accessories

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots