DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking of Switching From Smart Controller to Crystalsky 7.85" Ultra Bright Monitor

svfdfireman

Reactions
Just tossing out some random thought I had. I am not overly impressed with the Smart Controller. Seems like I've had more "glitches/issues" using the SC than just using my 5th gen Ipad mini and stock Mavic 2 pro remote controller. First off, this is just a personal preference thing, but I got spoiled using a larger screen and have had a hard time going back to a smaller screen. Yes, it is brighter than any iPad/tablet or iPhone/smartphone screen, yet it still needs a sunshade on very bright days. (I do have brightness set to full). It is convenient to just pull SC out and be ready to fly in just a couple minutes or less. (although I'm not usually in that big of a hurry) Range seems a bit less than my stock Mav 2 pro remote controller as well. I have read other threads from people also commenting about range not as good with the SC as they had hoped for or were led to believe by DJI marketing. It has very convenient features like SD card slot, HDMI out, etc but it just boils down to my personal preference of wanting a larger brighter (Ultra bright) screen I guess.

Like I said, this is just a random thought floating around in my head for now and I'm just rambling, but I would be interested if anyone wants to give their input on this just to bounce stuff off of others, or anyone having buyer's remorse after purchasing SC.

Thanks

Just tossing out some random thought I had. I am not overly impressed with the Smart Controller. Seems like I've had more "glitches/issues" using the SC than just using my 5th gen Ipad mini and stock Mavic 2 pro remote controller. First off, this is just a personal preference thing, but I got spoiled using a larger screen and have had a hard time going back to a smaller screen. Yes, it is brighter than any iPad/tablet or iPhone/smartphone screen, yet it still needs a sunshade on very bright days. (I do have brightness set to full). It is convenient to just pull SC out and be ready to fly in just a couple minutes or less. (although I'm not usually in that big of a hurry) Range seems a bit less than my stock Mav 2 pro remote controller as well. I have read other threads from people also commenting about range not as good with the SC as they had hoped for or were led to believe by DJI marketing. It has very convenient features like SD card slot, HDMI out, etc but it just boils down to my personal preference of wanting a larger brighter (Ultra bright) screen I guess.

Like I said, this is just a random thought floating around in my head for now and I'm just rambling, but I would be interested if anyone wants to give their input on this just to bounce stuff off of others, or anyone having buyer's remorse after purchasing SC.

Thanks
As long as the CS works well, you won't regret..... especially when it's time to use it on any other DJI and or Autel Evo if you have one. A Well versed devise.

Just this week I helped a guy out who had purchased the MP2 and Smart Controller. I have to say I was very unimpressed with the SC. Way to small. Poor guy I'm helping has eyes as bad as mine, we just couldn't see the icons very well at all. I showed him my iPad Mini 4 set up on my MP2 and I think I bummed him out when you could actually see so much better. Glad I didn't purchase a SC.

Using a CRYSTALSKY MONITOR 7.5 might take about 15 seconds longer. I take out the monitor from its case and slide and lock it in place on the fitting on the bottom of the controller. Turn on the remote and the monitor starts automatically. My MAVIC AIR remote and my MAVIC2 remotes have the same fittings so it is very easy to change over. I have the "light" setting a little over half way and find it works fine for me.P1000131.JPGP1000132.JPG

I went from a decent phone to the cs your mentioning, best thing i have ever done, been using it regularly since January and no probs, set up is maybe 2mins more but so more enjoyable being able to see everything and weather you are in focus or not too.

Reactions: Bobvt
All above is good info.
I love my CS 7.85. I use it on a PolarPro mount. Maybe 30 seconds to set up. Came with 2 batteries and charger. Two batteries will work through 10 batteries for me.

Reactions: Hauptmann and Bobvt

Thanks
I love my school 7.85

I've been reading various posts about the CS 7.85" Ultra having screen problems/issues/lagginess/overheating or just flat out dying after a certain length of time. Can any of you current CS users speak to those issues or shed some more light?

Thanks for your replies

I've been reading various posts about the CS 7.85" Ultra having screen problems/issues/lagginess/overheating or just flat out dying after a certain length of time. Can any of you current CS users speak to those issues or shed some more light?

Thanks for your replies
I get intermittent screen lag with my 7.85 with latest firmware. I don't think the problem was ever solved.

I enjoy using a mini iPad with a Hoodman sunshade and it is fantastic. I can't justify the cost to replace what works good already. Hoodman $60 + an aluminum tablet mount $30, micro USB to lighting connecter $9 = $99 vs CV smart controller $750.00, savings of $651.00. This sunshade works well and has an elastic window to reach in and make any needed adjustments. the tablet mount is sturdy and totally adjustable for viewing both the controller and the iPad screen. The 12" right angle USB cord bring it all together. Easy to break down and stow or set up. I always wear a lanyard to help control the balance but there is minimal add weight. in bright sun you can seal the opening with your face and eliminate all reflection and glare.

hoodman1.JPG

hoodman2.JPG

hoodman3.JPG

I would still like to know why DJI put the neck strap attaching holes on the side of the 7.85 instead of the bottom. Other than that ,my UB has been fine and is wonderful even in bright and hot NC sun. No overheating and no video lag, although admittedly I'm a pretty deliberate(read: slow) pilot.

I believe the holes on the sides are not meant for a neck strap other than using the tapped holes for mounting the device in other ways.. my belief....

I believe the holes on the sides are not meant for a neck strap other than using the tapped holes for mounting the device in other ways.. my belief....
I haven't seen any mounting systems that take advantage of the side screws, but there could be some out there.

As far as I know, the 7.85 has no ability to rotate the screen from landscape to portrait mode. I've been using a tripod to mount the CS and a 6' cable to the controller which so far has met my needs but I certainly see the advantage of having the CS and controller mated together. I tried three mounts from Amazon and returned them all, essentially due to the unbalanced condition which could be easily rectified if the 7.85 CS provided bottom screw holes for a neck strap.

I have the 7.85" UB and absolutely love it! It doesn't need a shade. I can see it just fine at high noon on the the sunniest day of the year. I live in Iowa and it can get very hot here. The CS does run it's fan, but I've never had it go out on me... and I usually fly long enough to drain 3 batteries) every time I fly. If you buy it you won't regret it.

Thanks

I have the CS 5.5, the CS 7.85 and the Smart Controller. I use the SC everyday and the monitors are left sitting on a shelf. The SC does not have as good of range because it has a weaker radio set up. It's in the specs on the website for everyone to see. It's not DJI's dirty little secret. Hahaha. I wanted convenient and the SC is that.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I may have a SC for sale pretty soon.... Well, as soon as I make up my mind that is... LoL!

I too have the CSU, and it is both bright and a brilliant image.
The CSU can get heavy after several batteries as your arms are in a curl position the entire time. I highly recommend buying a tripod mount from Mavmount ($29), and set the CSU on the tripod. The remote becomes as light as a feather and the CSU is near eye level, so you don't strain your neck looking down the whole time.
If you decide to go this route, be sure to buy a 6 foot long USB cable so that you are no stuck in front of CSU. There is glare from the CSU, so stepping slightly to the side helps.
Also, if you use a tripod, be sure the CSU is perpendicular to any wind.
Finally, watch your step as you don't want to trip the tripod legs.
The CSU monitor is fantastic for watching playback of your video/pics, and if you upload to Skypixel, then you can edit and post in the field.

I think the CSU offers several advantages over the SC; not the least of which is screen size.

Reactions: JAW
I too have the CSU, and it is both bright and a brilliant image.
The CSU can get heavy after several batteries as your arms are in a curl position the entire time. I highly recommend buying a tripod mount from Mavmount ($29), and set the CSU on the tripod. The remote becomes as light as a feather and the CSU is near eye level, so you don't strain your neck looking down the whole time.
If you decide to go this route, be sure to buy a 6 foot long USB cable so that you are no stuck in front of CSU. There is glare from the CSU, so stepping slightly to the side helps.
Also, if you use a tripod, be sure the CSU is perpendicular to any wind.
Finally, watch your step as you don't want to trip the tripod legs.
The CSU monitor is fantastic for watching playback of your video/pics, and if you upload to Skypixel, then you can edit and post in the field.

I think the CSU offers several advantages over the SC; not the least of which is screen size.

Yea but if all he wants is a bigger screen then Lifthor makes a monitor mount for the Smart Controller for $90 and you can get a decent monitor for $200 or less.

Mount,

Monitor example in 9",

Yea but if all he wants is a bigger screen then Lifthor makes a monitor mount for the Smart Controller for $90 and you can get a decent monitor for $200 or less.

Mount,

Monitor example in 9",
Does it work well in the bright sun?
Seems like even more equipment to lug around

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WTF-N1466