Join Us Now

This guy almost lost his DJI Mini 2 in a Windstream - Video

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
Check what happened to this guy in the minute 6:44 when a Windstream got his DJI Mini 2. WOW.

Check what happened to this guy in the minute 6:44 when a Windstream got his DJI Mini 2. WOW.

When he showed the wind forecast were those wind speeds at ground level? to be safer, I have mine set at 100 ft or more. When he turned towards home he mentioned that the wind at his position and level was getting stronger. Wondering if strong winds at the drone position caught the now tilted drone as it was flying back into the wind and a strong wind was pushing it down and also sideways and the mini 2 had couldn't keep it's altitude at that nose angle trying to get home. Also doesn't RTH drop the speed back into P mode from Sport?

Also wonder why he had RTH altitude set for 100 meters/300 feet above his level. Looked like 30 feet would have safely cleared every thing. He was asking for more trouble going that high in auto RTH if the wind kept up.
Glad he got it home.

Reactions: cameraz
If he would have just lowered the drone instead of pressing the RTH he might have had a little quicker results . It always amazes
me when people say the wind was not that strong, planes hit turbulence all the time out of no where and your drone can hit pockets of wind the same.

Good Watch.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water.

I believe his issue was related to the canyon and the 'river of air' that passes through it. He wasn't expecting that. Think of a river and how the water moves in the middle vs how the water moves on the edge.
Well, he should have been expecting it--he flies there all.the.time. Ditto for not knowing why he had RTH set so high--even flying deep into the canyon (- altitude) in the event of an emergency RTH the drone would ascend to 50' above his HP altitude (thus clearing the canyon) if he had it set at 50', correct? Glad he got it back, the bottom of that canyon looks faaaaaaaaarrrrr away....

Last edited:
Reactions: djitigger
I believe his issue was related to the canyon and the 'river of air' that passes through it. He wasn't expecting that. Think of a river and how the water moves in the middle vs how the water moves on the edge.
Er what? There is no river of air. I'd guess that the air speed in that canyon (below the level the pilot was standing) was close to zero.

I am fairly sure I have seen a very similar video with MM, as in "same place".

Well, he should have been expecting it--he flies there all.the.time. Ditto for not knowing why he had RTH set so high--even flying deep into the canyon (- altitude) in the event of an emergency RTH the drone would ascend to 50' above his HP altitude (thus clearing the canyon) if he had it set at 50', correct? Glad he got it back, the bottom of that canyon looks faaaaaaaaarrrrr away....

I think 100m was the default of the newest DJI Fly app update? I'm pretty sure my RTH altitude on my Air 2 was changed after the update from what it was.

It appears that his altitude display shows negative height. What causes this issue?

It appears that his altitude display shows negative height. What causes this issue?

That's normal. The drone dropped to an altitude below his takeoff location. He was stood at the top of the canyon. I see it all the time too flying off the roof of my 30-storey apartment building.

I agree. Ever walked down a street between tall buildings on a calm day? The buildings force the air down to ground level and can create quite a breeze that isn't felt aloft.

That's normal. The drone dropped to an altitude below his takeoff location. He was stood at the top of the canyon. I see it all the time too flying off the roof of my 30-storey apartment building.
Thank you for the explanation. In over 150 flights, I’ve never flown anywhere where my drone flies below my takeoff altitude.

I’ve never flown anywhere where my drone flies below my takeoff altitude.
Someday I'd like to fly off the top of El Capitan and down....and down..........and down, probably not permitted though ;-((((( . Then again you have to then go up.....and up.........and up ;-)

Thank you, I enjoyed all of the responses here. Out of an abundance of caution, I did open a ticket with DJI and they are looking the drone over for any potential malfunctions.

Reactions: zeusfl
When he showed the wind forecast were those wind speeds at ground level? to be safer, I have mine set at 100 ft or more. When he turned towards home he mentioned that the wind at his position and level was getting stronger. Wondering if strong winds at the drone position caught the now tilted drone as it was flying back into the wind and a strong wind was pushing it down and also sideways and the mini 2 had couldn't keep it's altitude at that nose angle trying to get home. Also doesn't RTH drop the speed back into P mode from Sport?

Also wonder why he had RTH altitude set for 100 meters/300 feet above his level. Looked like 30 feet would have safely cleared every thing. He was asking for more trouble going that high in auto RTH if the wind kept up.
Glad he got it home.
Not to mention localized weather can be drastically different when you consider canyons, canals, etc.

Thank you, I enjoyed all of the responses here. Out of an abundance of caution, I did open a ticket with DJI and they are looking the drone over for any potential malfunctions.

I am really a novice with maybe 100 flights, but for a first flight especially, shouldn’t you have flown into the wind first for half the distance then come home with the wind? I mean, not required, but just for safety?

Reactions: Nonprophet
While I don't consider myself a drone expert by any means, I have at least 100 or more flights over the Snake River Canyon, and have been flying DJI drones, and many other manufacturers since the Phantom 3. While it may very well have been a wind event that caused my issue with the Mini 2, I can tell you from experience it was an unusual condition. I fly there a lot, at all times of the year.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid