DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This has to be a scam right?

There is no actual address, the whois information on the domain name doesn't list anything you can decipher or track. I wonder how many people fall for this type of thing. I came across it on Facebook, which leads me to believe even stronger that Facebook is adding to the scammers' ability to bilk people out of their hard earned money. Facebook I think is just as much to blame, aiding and abetting the scammers.

Yes, it's a scam.

I've also come across YouTube ads for a drone that promises to deliver the world for £99. Implying that they are (conveniently non-Chinese) DJI ex-employees disgusted at the "money grabbing ways" of DJI.

But dig a bit deeper, the ad is made with footage shot by completely different drones and it's just another (somewhat ironically) Chinese company selling **** drones that are basically toys.

So yeah, if it looks too good to be true, it is. In the UK, I use Trustpilot to check the legitimacy of websites/companies.

Reactions: GFields
There was a similar website (https://www.djidrone.top/) about a month ago (site has been killed). I figured, what the heck and placed an order. I can always dispute the charge.

Never got an email order confirmation. Sent emails to the address they listed which were kicked back as invalid mailboxes. Called the number they listed...ring no answer. Ended up having to cancel my credit card to void the original charge and prevent any future transactions against that card.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

There was a similar website (https://www.djidrone.top/) about a month ago (site has been killed). I figured, what the heck and placed an order. I can always dispute the charge.

They are bit smarter than that.
How this scam ("expensive stuff at low price") works is - you place an order, they ship you package from china with slow shipping that takes 3 weeks (usually enough for them to clear the money and run). The package contains something like Gucci wallet or a few that's obviously fake. It can be intercepted at customs and than customs would want to talk to you why are you ordering fake stuff from overseas. Or you get it and they apologies for mixup and ask you to ship it back. Not while all of this is dragging you usually can't file a chargeback because most credit cards require you to work with merchant first , now if fake gucci wallets from oversears gets mentioned - you now used credit card for illegal activity and credit card company may not want to support you. You may still come out at 0 loss, but it be a pain. Scammer just need a couple weeks to run away with funds.

There is no actual address, the whois information on the domain name doesn't list anything you can decipher or track. I wonder how many people fall for this type of thing. I came across it on Facebook, which leads me to believe even stronger that Facebook is adding to the scammers' ability to bilk people out of their hard earned money. Facebook I think is just as much to blame, aiding and abetting the scammers.
PRECISELY what I have often thought. I have been in FB jail many times for expressing my opinion only to be told I have "violated FB standards". How could this be? imho, they have NO "standards". rant finished.

Never got an email order confirmation. Sent emails to the address they listed which were kicked back as invalid mailboxes. Called the number they listed...ring no answer. Ended up having to cancel my credit card to void the original charge and prevent any future transactions against that card.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Ordered a "gas powered remote controlled boat". Was supposed to be 48" long. The picture that was posted showing it was awesome! A few weeks later I received a battery operated toy about 5" long. Filed a fraud claim with my card company and was reimbursed, but felt foolish for my gullibility. "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". However I did run into a guy selling LED Harley lights and decided to take a chance. The deal was you had to have an Amazon and PayPal account. When Amazon notified item had been shipped half of purchase price was refunded back through PayPal. After installing lights and giving a positive referral on Amazon the other half was credited back to my PayPal account. This was not only the headlight, but also the two spot lights on either side. So, took a chance and couldn't be happier. Love my new lights! A can see so much better and am confident I am also seen much better in during daytime.

Yes, it's a scam.

I've also come across YouTube ads for a drone that promises to deliver the world for £99. Implying that they are (conveniently non-Chinese) DJI ex-employees disgusted at the "money grabbing ways" of DJI.
Yep, I have seen the same one.
Specific ads for specific markets, ie., the one that I saw had narration in Norwegian and currenct was in NOK, etc.
They use the same exact setup for other ripoffs (images of Sony projectors, disgruntled, ''former Sony'' engineers, etc).

They are bit smarter than that.
How this scam ("expensive stuff at low price") works is - you place an order, they ship you package from china with slow shipping that takes 3 weeks (usually enough for them to clear the money and run). The package contains something like Gucci wallet or a few that's obviously fake. It can be intercepted at customs and than customs would want to talk to you why are you ordering fake stuff from overseas. Or you get it and they apologies for mixup and ask you to ship it back. Not while all of this is dragging you usually can't file a chargeback because most credit cards require you to work with merchant first , now if fake gucci wallets from oversears gets mentioned - you now used credit card for illegal activity and credit card company may not want to support you. You may still come out at 0 loss, but it be a pain. Scammer just need a couple weeks to run away with funds.
Sounds similar to the £40 ice maker my wife bought from a Chinese company off FB.

I said it was a scam, but she said we could always do a Paypal chargeback.

A cheap plastic ice crusher arrived, one that could be sourced for £12.

Each complaint we made to the company, they upped the discount they would refund us on the purchase from 10% up to 50%. :rolleyes:

In the end Paypay paid nearly all the £16 cost to return it to them to get a refund, but they were not interested that it was a scam and a website reporting scam was full of them doing bait and switches; it's almost like they valued the money they made on fees from scam sales over buyers' wellbeing.

Pain worth avoiding.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d