DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

**** this hobby gets expensive

True that. My 2 year old costs me £1150 a month for nursery care. That a zoom every month.

Let the be a lesson for anyone out there thinking of having children. And the child care is just the start!!!!
When they get to school sort of ages 8-14 they have a better social life then you do as you are running them round to the clubs, friends etc. So even if you can afford a drone you don't get time to fly it :)

Let the be a lesson for anyone out there thinking of having children. And the child care is just the start!!!!
When they get to school sort of ages 8-14 they have a better social life then you do as you are running them round to the clubs, friends etc. So even if you can afford a drone you don't get time to fly it :)

I feel that lol good thing its my job now [emoji1303]

There is the best way to save money on a new drone..look online for bundles from APPROVED dealers and then phone them and ask them to throw all the stuff you need in at cost. So you get a load of accessories at the cost the dealer buys them for. You need to haggle. The dealer makes a profit on the drone and you save money on the accessories. Everyone is happy.

This is the easiest and most time efficient way to save money on drones.

There is the best way to save money on a new drone..look online for bundles from APPROVED dealers and then phone them and ask them to throw all the stuff you need in at cost. So you get a load of accessories at the cost the dealer buys them for. You need to haggle. The dealer makes a profit on the drone and you save money on the accessories. Everyone is happy.

This is the easiest and most time efficient way to save money on drones.

So you would shoot video for me "at cost" then?
The dealers need to make money to survive. Buying from a good dealer who can provide support and advice is important. If you shout change dealers all you end up is getting box-shifters.

BTW if we are counting computers my spend on a drone is about £12,000 as I have a MAC PRo (silver tower ) with 8TB of HDD and two 24 inch screeens and a RAID 6 NAS Server with 24TB of storage..... But then I shoot video anyway.

Blimey o’Riley ... 12 grando_O

Yes.... but.... I shoot video (ground based) and have cameras, microphones, tripod, field recorders etc etc the drone was just an "add on" so as the OP was counting his computer kit I thought I would add in my video editing suite. I have had it years but I still use it for editing the drone footage.
I could add inthe cost of the vehicle used to get me to shoots.....:)

My point was that he was adding in to the cost of the Drone all sorts of stuff that wasn not really part of the Drone package. I thinlk I spend abut £2K for Drone + Fly more + other essential bits, hard case, landing pad etc. It only gets silly when you add inthe cost of all the other things you have anyway or that are dual use. .

Reactions: Porky
Yes.... but.... I shoot video (ground based) and have cameras, microphones, tripod, field recorders etc etc the drone was just an "add on" so as the OP was counting his computer kit I thought I would add in my video editing suite. I have had it years but I still use it for editing the drone footage.
I could add inthe cost of the vehicle used to get me to shoots.....:)

My point was that he was adding in to the cost of the Drone all sorts of stuff that wasn not really part of the Drone package. I thinlk I spend abut £2K for Drone + Fly more + other essential bits, hard case, landing pad etc. It only gets silly when you add inthe cost of all the other things you have anyway or that are dual use. .

I know where you’re coming from, I was only pull your leg;) I can see via your signature that photography/video is your profession so yeah the cost of all that equipment would soon mount up.

I hope you enjoy your drone flying & get some cracking photos/ videos with your new toy, remember to post some of your work on this forum for us to see.Thumbswayup

Reactions: old man mavic
So you would shoot video for me "at cost" then?
The dealers need to make money to survive. Buying from a good dealer who can provide support and advice is important. If you shout change dealers all you end up is getting box-shifters.

BTW if we are counting computers my spend on a drone is about £12,000 as I have a MAC PRo (silver tower ) with 8TB of HDD and two 24 inch screeens and a RAID 6 NAS Server with 24TB of storage..... But then I shoot video anyway.

Hi,

Like I said, the dealers make money from the drone. All businesses haggle and negotiate prices. If you want to be a commercial drone pilot you also need to haggle and negotiate prices.

Like, I also said the approved dealers that sell bundles are already adding accessories at low margin because it is a bundle. Just make the bundle work for you to save money.

Last edited:
Hi,

Like I said, the dealers make money from the drone. All businesses haggle and negotiate prices. If you want to be a commercial drone pilot you also need to haggle and negotiate prices.

Like, I also said the approved dealers that sell bundles are already adding accessories at low margin because it is a bundle. Just make the bundle work for you to save money.

Then expect Everyone to haggle over your prices and ask you to do "extras" at cost because you make your money on the main deal.
It costs money to stock accessories.

Then expect Everyone to haggle over your prices and ask you to do "extras" at cost because you make your money on the main deal.
It costs money to stock accessories.

Every £1 a business saves is equivalent to £2 in sales. You need to haggle.

Your running a business, not a cash cow for other businesses.

Every £1 a business saves is equivalent to £2 in sales. You need to haggle.

Your running a business, not a cash cow for other businesses.

I do run businesses... However I will remember your wise words if we ever want to hire any kit fro m you. Pay for the first main item and expect the rest of the kit "at cost" or a big discount if you want the business.

The race to the bottom eventually kills businesses.

I do run businesses... However I will remember your wise words if we ever want to hire any kit fro m you. Pay for the first main item and expect the rest of the kit "at cost" or a big discount if you want the business.

The race to the bottom eventually kills businesses.

Hi,

The race to the bottom kills businesses who are poor are research and development. It breeds innovation. You can take many industry but the drone industry is a classic example. DJI is constantly pumping out better products because it knows it competition will challenge their prices if they don't.

Seriously, good luck with your business but if your competition is saving money on their equipment they will be able to undercut you. Without this form of competition we still be driving around in Robin Reliants. All the best.

The race to the bottom does not breed innovation. Much the opposite as I have seen that too often in other sectors. Jagraphics is my retirement business for fun as I have run a very succcessful business for decades and it thrives on quality not price cutting. It also outlasted most of the compeditors (particularly those who focused on price cutting). However as you point out I run a business, not a cash cow for other businesses so If you want any business from me you will have to price match with the lowest bidder in the market.

over the last couple of years i have spent around 3 grand on all my stuff,that includes chargers, extra batteries, cases and around 8 different drones, i still have them and now my hobby is a very low cost adventure, its the same in anything you do you always want the best stuff,i am very satisfied with my collection now,

over the last couple of years i have spent around 3 grand on all my stuff,that includes chargers, extra batteries, cases and around 8 different drones, i still have them and now my hobby is a very low cost adventure, its the same in anything you do you always want the best stuff,i am very satisfied with my collection now,

Adult toys have a price tag that calls for adult money.
I am sure most folks here have heard the term that a boat in a hole in the water where you pour your money
I would expand that and author the phrase ...a drone is speck in the clouds that makes it rain.
https://media2.giphy.com/media/tZ4K7k7wZ8B8I/200.webp?cid=3640f6095c7e859073556f44638e01e6

Attachments

• 1551795827176.png
    1551795827176.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 24
So far I've bought the drone with fly more kit, 64GB Discard and landing page. Next on my list is a decent case the fly more car sucks
Go to Amazon they actually have some well priced cases
I use the case below especially love it when I travel it holds my MP2 2 extra batteries my ipad mini both chargers some cables and props lenses my MavMount 3.0 and SD card kit I throw a lock on it when I travel for the heck of it and there ya go just a thought

RLSOCO Travel Carrying Case Compatible for DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom Fly More Kit -Fits for Full Mavic 2 Accessories:Remote Controller,5 x Batteries, Charger, Charging Hub,Propellers-(Can Add Lock)
by RLSOCO
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HBMVBKG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_j7PFCbHWYBP8E

I feel everyone’s pain. On purely MPP and purely drone accessories I’m in about $3K. But to keep my computer working well I had to add 128 Mb RAM plus 8TB of main storage in a peripheral drive functioning like part of the computer for files, pics, and movies... Then 12TB backup system, not to mention cloud storage and I’m not a pro ... I’m a professor teaching.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis