DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This photo quality aint good enough, don't you think?

Everyone needs to check camera settings before assuming the worst. Personally, low ISO has been key for getting cleaner shots (especially low light).
Huh? Low ISO for LOW light?

My wife told me that she didn't like how photos looks like from Mavic (like from phone). Of course she compare with my DSLR works I think.
So didn't know what to do with that now =)
Tell her to climb up a 100m ladder with your DSLR if she wants to beat the impact of a shot from a Mavic at that height!

Huh? Low ISO for LOW light?
Raising the ISO introduces grain, especially at low light levels. If you have a stable platform a low ISO and a slow shutter speed are the best way to capture low light scenes when movement in the subject material isn't an issue to you. For example, there may be no movement at all, or you want an effect where movement in the scene is part of the reason for the shot, like tail light trails from passing cars.

Last edited:
This was done with with 34 Raw stills. Unfortunately the Flickr 360 viewer blurs things and ruins it. I am interested to see if it displays as 360 VR inside this forum.

Armadale_Panorama by blueskyted, on Flickr

This is one I like a lot, but does not belong here as it is a grab from a video. I just like the way the video capture can seemingly create such rich colours when compared to the stills without any PP. Handy if you are lazy like me.

4K PP video screen grab by blueskyted, on Flickr

Last edited:
You writing to me? :)
If yes than no, I didn't saw it.
Hi !

sorry :)
Was mainly writing to OP @rabidhyena and others who wonder about bad JPG Quality.
Nevertheless "my" settings -2,0,-1 (or 0) are also not a bad iea for movies as it goes easy on Compression and doesnt introduce much junk..

Greetings to Latvia !

Ender

Reactions: Andrejs
Hi !

sorry :)
Was mainly writing to OP @rabidhyena and others who wonder about bad JPG Quality.
Nevertheless "my" settings -2,0,-1 (or 0) are also not a bad iea for movies as it goes easy on Compression and doesnt introduce much junk..

Greetings to Latvia !

Ender
I shoot all the time in RAW (At my DSLRs as well). I like to post-process photos anyway all the time.

You haven't said what your record settings are, or did I miss that? I think Support is going to ask you that before they give you a RMA.

For your pixel peeping pleasure, here is a folder of shots from this week in Arizona. The first 4 are edits with lightroom or snapseed. The rest are DNG JPG pairs right from the SD card. All shot in stable hover, center focused prior to still capture, not from video. I have not had time to really examine but I don't think shows any variation across the frame and are probably a good representation of the capability of Mavic lens and sensor.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=eFBWQzVhYTNTajJaT0N1ejRGazlxNXBJbGQtY3hn

4936b15af1b78982fc55f2c060b34e34.jpg

I like the IQ. Of course it'd be better with a p4p tho.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Not sure what some of you are expecting from this camera. Those pics are a lot better then I would expect from a toy with a camera. Yes this is a $999 toy so let's remember that. It's not a $3000 aerial photography tool. Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The camera on the Mavic (or most Phantoms), uses the same sensor as a GoPro. To call the Mavic "a toy with a camera", is really not accurate.

Most of the images in this thread are showing JPG's with what looks like WAY to much compression being applied in camera. Most cameras have a way to choose "standard", "fine", "extra fine" in the JPG compression settings. I'm assuming the Mavic does not? Then shooting raw, and saving as a JPG in your photo editing program, while using less compression, should create a much better looking image.

That said, why did the Mavic camera engineers choose to use SO much compression by default?

I agree. And the pics on this thread look great for this cheap camera. I just think people are expecting too much from a toy. If perfect is the expectation then maybe order from the "commercial " tab on the dji site. The mavic has delivered more then I expected for $999.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Longrange...it's NOT a "cheap camera"...that is NOT the reason the images are showing problems...there are many cameras that use the same size sensor which cost a not-insignificant amount of money.

--

Bill

Reactions: Andrejs
You couldn't be more correct about the importance of post production. I spend a lot of time in DaVinci Resolve. If you are interested, here is a link to one of my Aerial reels. All shots were acquired using my P4 and Inspire 1. I was hoping to add Mavic footage to it as well as soon but I am RMAing mine today.
Aerial Reel on Vimeo

Robert...that was beautiful.

One small comment, IMHO of course, is to include a few shots (or few more) with less motion, or with the drone stationary. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes video clips with "lots of motion" (a relative phrase of course) get a bit fatiguing.

--

Bill

In my opinion it is not correctly to talk about cameras price. There a lot of things inside drone except camera what make such price =) Isn't it? I think most important here - size of sensor and camera itself and what image quality we got in the end. For such size of camera quality of image very good!

Sent from my SM-N910C using MavicPilots mobile app

Not sure what some of you are expecting from this camera. Those pics are a lot better then I would expect from a toy with a camera. Yes this is a $999 toy so let's remember that. It's not a $3000 aerial photography tool.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

So, I guess my Camaro is a toy because it is not as expensive as a Porsche.

Reactions: Sjez
I am interested to see if it displays as 360 VR inside this forum.

So far, no, the forum does not show the flickr URL as any sort of pannable image directly. Even if it were a URL to a JPEG image, this forum does not (yet) have any support for that sort of thing.

However, I noticed that the stitching application you are using pinches the bottom. Another person on this board had the same problem, and sent me a PM with his original images. I hope to post a thread on this topic in the future. If you would like, you can also PM me a Dropbox link with your original raw images, and I will stitch them to see if I get better quality with less blurring and no pinching at the nadir point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcjz