DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This Was Embarrassing

Nikon1

Reactions
Yesterday I updated the AC, RC and (1) Battery to .800. I took it out, flew the battery and everything was fine. This morning I connected my second battery, put the Mavic on the carpet and was getting ready to update that battery. I got interrupted and just let everything sit for about an hour - nothing had been powered up yet so no harm, no foul.

When I came back, powered up the RC and the iPad and then the Mavic, I got a Gimbal Motor Overload message! When I flew yesterday, everything was fine so wtf?

I powered off the Mavic and put it in the table where I could watch it power up and sure enough the gimbal was acting flaky. As I put the Mavic down, something small and black fell out onto the table. All I could think was something in the camera mount broke and I had visions of repairs.

I powered the Mavic up for a third time and everything was great - no gimbal error reported and the camera was level.

When I looked to see whatever this small black piece was, it was sort of soft and had small legs. Here it was what we locally call "Rolly Polly" bugs! I guessing it crawled from the carpet into the gimbal in the hour the Mavic was sitting on the carpet this morning.

Sorry to say, it was dead - I'm thinking it got crushed with the gimbal swing on power up. Count me one happy Mavic owner. I will not be leaving the Mavic on our plush living room carpet again.

Happy ending to this bug story about the .800 update.

Might need to vacuum [emoji8]
For now, we hope that just enough Dyson can not imagine lying on the rug !! Anyway very nice post

Hopefully dyson doesnt put any NVZ (no vacuum zones) around bugs.

Reactions: Nikon1
Yesterday I updated the AC, RC and (1) Battery to .800. I took it out, flew the battery and everything was fine. This morning I connected my second battery, put the Mavic on the carpet and was getting ready to update that battery. I got interrupted and just let everything sit for about an hour - nothing had been powered up yet so no harm, no foul.

When I came back, powered up the RC and the iPad and then the Mavic, I got a Gimbal Motor Overload message! When I flew yesterday, everything was fine so wtf?

I powered off the Mavic and put it in the table where I could watch it power up and sure enough the gimbal was acting flaky. As I put the Mavic down, something small and black fell out onto the table. All I could think was something in the camera mount broke and I had visions of repairs.

I powered the Mavic up for a third time and everything was great - no gimbal error reported and the camera was level.

When I looked to see whatever this small black piece was, it was sort of soft and had small legs. Here it was what we locally call "Rolly Polly" bugs! I guessing it crawled from the carpet into the gimbal in the hour the Mavic was sitting on the carpet this morning.

Sorry to say, it was dead - I'm thinking it got crushed with the gimbal swing on power up. Count me one happy Mavic owner. I will not be leaving the Mavic on our plush living room carpet again.

Now all those who have gimbal problems will be dismantling the mavic in search of various insects !!

Previously, this land was a hugh Christmas Tree farm so when we built our house, we greatly disturbed the existing ecology. Every morning, after a day or two of rain, my wife goes on a "bug hunt" and usually catches about 5 or 6 of these "Rolly Pollys" in the morning. I guess getting up before her and updating the batteries was not a great idea.

I'll try to get a picture of one of these little critters and post it up. Maybe I'll send DJI a picture and tell them to suggest pilots with gimbal problem look for these little PITAs.

But - it did end well!

Nice debugging that issue!

Reactions: Pathogen and Wersh
If you happen to have chestnut trees in the area, do gather some up, and scatter them around your place. Bugs hate them! They don't like the 'a cysteine proteinase inhibitor' apparently.

Reactions: Nikon1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760