DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This whole .8000 update is making my head hurt

So after reading that link, am I right that if you're NOT on .800, you can't unlock the NFZ at all? But if you are on .800, then as long as you have a verified account, you can unlock the NFZ. So surely updating to .800 is better then? Sorry if I'm missing something here.. Probably am....

I see what your getting at and don't have a answer.

We could come up with multiple scenarios also with 3rd party apps but DJI wants to authenticate a user to a flight that's the bottom line.

DJI is trying to eliminate all work arounds.

-G

Hi Robert
I understand and agree about being nannied to death, but I genuinly don't see what the fuss about .800 is. If you shut the app down, or turn your phone off, when you restart the app you're still logged in to it. So you don't need to log in each time you start up and you don't need any signal or wifi data connection any time again in the future as long as you've never manually logged the app out of your DJI email account.
I don't believe there are any restrictions at all, anywhere once you log in. You log in once. That's it. Job done forever.

Have I missed anything else here?

Ian in London
I still might be misunderstanding the phrase "logged in". So, what, if anything would require a re-log?

But, at any rate, my main point was, many folks were genuinely confused by the initial threatening sounding language coming from DJI, and many simply feel the noose closing and don't like it, and take issue with being categorized as lawbreakers or discourteous for resisting.

800 is fine. Most of the people complaining so bitterly are those who feel they do not have to abide by laws, regulations, safety, and courtesy. Theirs are the attitudes and actions that caused the implementation of NFZ code in drones to begin with.
Stupid thing to say.

The log in is exactly the same procedure as when you first got the MP and had to register it with DJI.
No different, when I updated I did not need to re log in, I was still logged in.
Pretty much in this day and age every man and his dogs details and movements are already recorded and tracked.
Seems an irony that people are paranoid of the Chinese but all too willing to trust a Russian entity.

Reactions: Nikon1 and Clinton1
I am confused too. So much contradictory information to read through. Simple question looking for simple accurate answer.....
If you upgrade from .4 to .8 what do you gain and what do you lose. I do not mean things like goggle support i am talking about functionality of the bird. Is it that the nfz's are the same but you have to authenticate? If you authenticate do you have the full functionality in .8 as you do in .4. Please someone make it simple

800 is fine. Most of the people complaining so bitterly are those who feel they do not have to abide by laws, regulations, safety, and courtesy. Theirs are the attitudes and actions that caused the implementation of NFZ code in drones to begin with.
And you know this how? You somehow know the intentions of every Mavic owner on the planet? Impressive.

Since you're such an outstanding law abiding person who never breaks the law in any way, perhaps you can tell the rest of us what laws are you referring to exactly?

Can you site any Federal or State drone law in the U.S.? Can you site the specific statutes of the drone laws you're referring to?

Last edited:
I am confused too. So much contradictory information to read through. Simple question looking for simple accurate answer.....
If you upgrade from .4 to .8 what do you gain and what do you lose. I do not mean things like goggle support i am talking about functionality of the bird. Is it that the nfz's are the same but you have to authenticate? If you authenticate do you have the full functionality in .8 as you do in .4. Please someone make it simple
I already answered this earlier in this thread. .8 is the same as .4 if you log your app in (once). No extra. No less.
But if you don't log in your account into the app, then you will in effect, be stuck in beginner's mode with severe height and distance restrictions.
Cheers

Ian in London

Reactions: Clinton1
My only concern is that given the reaction to all this they may have built in a piece of software in the latest version that silently looks at a connection to their servers at certain time intervals. If this doesn't happen because of someone disabling net connection then a built in software will start stating that the user must reconnect, otherwise limitations will start. It would be a reasonable way to enforce people to continually update.

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
I already answered this earlier in this thread. .8 is the same as .4 if you log your app in (once). No extra. No less.
But if you don't log in your account into the app, then you will in effect, be stuck in beginner's mode with severe height and distance restrictions.
Cheers

Ian in London

So all this hype is only about a simple login once?

So all this hype is only about a simple login once?
The hype exists because DJI did not explain these changes well. Lots of people then jumped to conclusions and it turned out to be no big deal in the end (like usual).

The hype exists because DJI did not explain these changes well. Lots of people then jumped to conclusions and it turned out to be no big deal in the end (like usual).

Gotcha, it takes so much reading to follow all of this stuff when it starts to go crazy. You end up reading 5 different answers with no idea what is real.

Gotcha, it takes so much reading to follow all of this stuff when it starts to go crazy. You end up reading 5 different answers with no idea what is real.

You can learn a lot from these forums as there are truly knowledgeable members here. But you also need to have a strong BS filter. The forum is ripe with speculation and my personal favorite - people who parrot what they've collected in the internet and pass them off as facts without actually verifying it for themselves because they're too scared to update for whatever reason.

You can learn a lot from these forums as there are truly knowledgeable members here. But you also need to have a strong BS filter. The forum is ripe with speculation and my personal favorite - people who parrot what they've collected in the internet and pass them off as facts without actually verifying it for themselves because they're too scared to update for whatever reason.
That's true... someone on my youtube channel was discussing this very thing so I literally upgraded, logged in, flew up to 100 metres, landed, shut down Mavic and remote, then shut my phone down and restarted, then flew straight back up to 100 metres.. Happy I proved to myself there was no restrictions even after restarting phone....
Cheers

Ian in London

Reactions: LongRifle
FW .900 installed today, so we can move to complain about a different version, although I had a full battery flight on it with no issues, but then I have not had a software issue with the MP, yet.

cheers, although the only point I'd add is that those NFZ errors already exist for .400... upgrading to .800 doesn't introduce more. Or does it? Via forcing you to update the NFZ data regularly?
@Wellsi , in my case, no. My Mavic would let me fly with .400 but would not let me fly with higher version.
I was in an authorization zone. The Mavic (with higher firmware version) would report it as an NFZ. Didn't get to the bottom of it. DJI admitted there was a bug and gave me an unlock code that was supposed to clear the area. However, by the time they got that out to me I was back on .400 flying without issues. Details on my example HERE.

Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service. Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone.

I wont trust a Chinese company with those details.

Reactions: wayy510
Ive upgraded goapp4 and its fine, you don't have to download the NFZ maps at the end it asks you.
Then set sports mode on and settings I like, deleted the go app and then use solely litchi as use VR works fine and good range
Simon in Spain

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baima