DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thought i'd lost it

keat63

Reactions
Guys, I'm still learning so go easy on me :)

Flying over to a small pond near us yesterday evening, and lost VLOS of the drone.
My own stupid fault really, I was too busy watching my phone screen, when I glanced up, I couldn't figure out where in the sky the mavic was, looking back in hindsight, I think it was behind a tree line.
However, as I was about turn it around and bing it home, when I lost video feed.

I stopped any control inputs hoping that the video feed would return, but it didn't.
Now I dare not fly it, as I havn't a clue which direction it might go.

I can't press RTH on the screen as this wasn't responding, and I totally forgot about RTH on the controller.

Thinking that I lost all total control, then either it will RTH it'self or I've lost it.

Maybe as many as 3 minutes passed, with my heart pounding out of my chest, I heard the buzz of the return.

Reviewing the video from the SD card, it seems that i'd not lost control as I can see the point where i'd pulled back on the stick and then thought the better of it.
The mavic hovered in it's current position for a few minutes, then appears to have initiated its own RTH.

Is this the case, if no stick input after a period of time, RTH is automatically initailised ??

Also, if my theory of me not losing control and only losing video feedback is correct, then why would I lose video feedback ?
What is video feedback transmitted over.
What is it's theoretical range,
And are there any settings to improve on this.

This isn't the first time I've lost video feedback.

Reactions: mereflyer
Reviewing the video from the SD card, it seems that i'd not lost control as I can see the point where i'd pulled back on the stick and then thought the better of it.
The mavic hovered in it's current position for a few minutes, then appears to have initiated its own RTH.
Did you take a look at your flight log? If not, you can upload and review it here. That'll likely answer most of the questions you asked above.

And if you need help reviewing it, post the link here after you upload it.

If you are not in LOS or start to lose LOS video is going to be the first to go then control. I have lost video and just went higher to
get it back . If I don’t it RTH. This time of year here with the foliage
full it don’t take much flying behind a tree to loose signal.
As far as how far it will go if you maintain clear LOS it will go Way farther than you can see it.
As was said only looking at the logs will tell you for sure .
Also as long as you are in LOS it will hover in place till your battery
activates RTH or whatever you have it set to do.

Reactions: maggior
Guys, I'm still learning so go easy on me :)

Flying over to a small pond near us yesterday evening, and lost VLOS of the drone.
My own stupid fault really, I was too busy watching my phone screen, when I glanced up, I couldn't figure out where in the sky the mavic was, looking back in hindsight, I think it was behind a tree line.
However, as I was about turn it around and bing it home, when I lost video feed.

I stopped any control inputs hoping that the video feed would return, but it didn't.
Now I dare not fly it, as I havn't a clue which direction it might go.

I can't press RTH on the screen as this wasn't responding, and I totally forgot about RTH on the controller.

Thinking that I lost all total control, then either it will RTH it'self or I've lost it.

Maybe as many as 3 minutes passed, with my heart pounding out of my chest, I heard the buzz of the return.

Is this the case, if no stick input after a period of time, RTH is automatically initailised ??

Also, if my theory of me not losing control and only losing video feedback is correct, then why would I lose video feedback ?
What is video feedback transmitted over.
What is it's theoretical range,
And are there any settings to improve on this.

This isn't the first time I've lost video feedback.
My understanding of the RTH function is that the drone will make a bee-line for its initial launch point if controller signal linkage to the drone is lost during a manual flight mission, or alternatively if on-board computations determine that the remaining flight battery power will not suffice to complete the entirety of a pre-programmed auto-flight mission whose waypoint sequence may lie within, or beyond controller signal range.

My understanding of the RTH function is that the drone will make a bee-line for its initial launch point if controller signal linkage to the drone is lost during a manual flight mission, or alternatively if on-board computations determine that the remaining flight battery power will not suffice to complete the entirety of a pre-programmed auto-flight mission whose waypoint sequence may lie within, or beyond controller signal range.
No it will rise to your set rth height then come home unless you are already above said height.

No .. failsafe RTH will initiate after losing the control signal or Low Battery RTH will initiate when the battery level gets low enough.
But if you don't provide any joystick input, the drone would just hover until the battery gets too low.

When in doubt, you can always switch the controller off which will initiate Failsafe RTH.

It will hover till it sees it only has enough power to get home then ether RTH or land depending on what you have it set to do.
There’s always the rth button when in doubt or you just want to use it. You can always override rth. I would not suggest it unless you have a lot stick time and know what you’re doing though .
Everthing depends on what you set in your settings.

It will hover till it sees it only has enough power to get home then ether RTH or land depending on what you have it set to do.
Unless DJI have changed it recently, you can only modify the setting for Loss of Signal action.
When the battery level gets low enough, the drone will always initiate RTH.

Unless DJI have changed it recently, you can only modify the setting for Loss of Signal action.
When the battery level gets low enough, the drone will always initiate RTH.
Think we thinking about different things. You are correct when it
hits low battery it initiates RTH but you set what percentage you
want it to show low battery & critically low battery at which point
it starts to land then.You can fight it if you thing you can get home or find a suitable landing area. Without having mine handy to power up all I got is a dead app.
F793530C-47D0-49F6-8EC0-C8A1839942D8.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11