DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts after upgrade from Pro 1 tot Air 2s

I had more than a few doubts if I wanted to upgrade frome my old Pro 1 to an Air 2S. I thought I'd share my thoughts after doing so, shopefully helping some people who are in doubts about the upgrade too.

So. In short: Am I happy I did the upgrade? I guess not. Not really unhappy, but certainly not very happy.

The drone straight out of the box had a few disapointments:
- I did not realize it would not use the DJI Go4 app, but uses the DJI Fly app which gives you a lot less controle. I hate the uresponsiveness of the yaw stick. The DJI Fly app doesn't let you adjust that for example.
- So point 2: Yaw is too slow
- It took me 10 tries to get the Fly app installed, I don't know why.
- I blindly ordered the fly more combo (yes, I know, I should have looked). For this amount of money it does not come with a car charger? What the hell??
- Active Track 4.0 is definetly an improvement, no denying that, but not THAT much of an improvement
- Without side sensors the rear sensors add very little to me
- While the remote feels a lot better, it is also a lot biger. n motorcycle/bike travels this is an issue
- My drone had a black spot on the sensor, I had to trade it in straight away
- It has some flight issues: Longer braking distance, sometimes it won't accelerate, it gains (quite a bit) of altitude when going from hover to forward flight
- Gimbal horizon drift during panorama's
- the price....

There are some good things of course, but if I have to sum them up I get to 3 that really count:
- If you forget the yaw, it handles better/nimbler then the pro1
- slighlty quiter
- the camera obviously. And that is a big one.

So would I have doen the upgrade knwoing this beforehand? I think not. I was really on the fence, had I known the above the scales would have tipped to 'do not buy'.

Mavic 3:
I could have waited for the mavic 3, but looking at the price of the air 2s and the expectations for the mavic 3 I was very sure that the Mavic 3 would go for a price that I was not going t be prepared to pay.
i have Mavic Pro 1. i often skip one or two iPhones so the same will count for my drones. i am curious but seriously interested in Mavic Pro 3. +je

I'm in the same boat as OP. Was debating of whether or not to sell my Mavic Pro 1. I just purchased two additional batteries from Camrise not too long ago. The Air 2S is my new upgrade with the Mavic Pro being a backup. I'm in the process of selling my P3P on eBay

The DJI Fly app feels less intuitive (perhaps oversimplified) versus DJI's Go 4 app

Reactions: Van Belle Jean Marc
I'm in the same boat as OP. Was debating of whether or not to sell my Mavic Pro 1. I just purchased two additional batteries from Camrise not too long ago. The Air 2S is my new upgrade with the Mavic Pro being a backup. I'm in the process of selling my P3P on eBay

The DJI Fly app feels less intuitive (perhaps oversimplified) versus DJI's Go 4 app
Not sure how you can simplify and make something less intuitive if its easier? I used Go 4 for my Spark and for my MA2, Fly of course, and I think Fly is much better than Go 4. However, if you've been using Go 4 forever, switching is a learning curve.. And if you only recently started flying a MA2 or MA2S with Fly, its going t take a while to get used to it..

There are other differences too, newer hardware cameras are not the same as the older models. They are all fixed aperture. While one can debate which might be better, and perhaps in some situations the older models had some advantages, however I cannot complain about the quality of any video or photos I've taken with my MA2 if I take the time to make needed adjustments for where I am flying and what I am capturing.

Rumor has it the Mavic 3 or something like it may show up later this year, its impossible to know at this point whether an adjustable aperture camera will make a comeback in that model or if it will be a larger sensor that's still a fixed aperture and other potentially new features. Though chances are good, its going to still use Fly unless they come out with yet another app. because I don't think DJI is going to revert back to Go 4.

Reactions: projectarjun
Thanks, I think it's a matter of getting used to the new Fly app. :).

Not sure how you can simplify and make something less intuitive if its easier? I used Go 4 for my Spark and for my MA2, Fly of course, and I think Fly is much better than Go 4. However, if you've been using Go 4 forever, switching is a learning curve.. And if you only recently started flying a MA2 or MA2S with Fly, its going t take a while to get used to it..

There are other differences too, newer hardware cameras are not the same as the older models. They are all fixed aperture. While one can debate which might be better, and perhaps in some situations the older models had some advantages, however I cannot complain about the quality of any video or photos I've taken with my MA2 if I take the time to make needed adjustments for where I am flying and what I am capturing.

Rumor has it the Mavic 3 or something like it may show up later this year, its impossible to know at this point whether an adjustable aperture camera will make a comeback in that model or if it will be a larger sensor that's still a fixed aperture and other potentially new features. Though chances are good, its going to still use Fly unless they come out with yet another app. because I don't think DJI is going to revert back to Go 4.

@Miob
Same here. Upgraded to air 2s after using MP1 for 3 years. The "upgrade" is with ups and downs. I am not going to write them all again, as some are just my personal opinions. But few mention about the downsizes of the new air 2s even vs old MP1 not to mention MP2.
Dji fly is better regarding easyness to use, but is worse as lots of options are gone. I am guessing that MP3 will use dji go 4 - they will keep it as a "pro" app, while dji fly will be the "consumer" app, but only time will tell.
After selling the MP1 and switching to Air 2s my only hope is that MP3 will cost more than 2300$ so i will have no regret that i changed the "birds"

@Miob
Same here. Upgraded to air 2s after using MP1 for 3 years. The "upgrade" is with ups and downs. I am not going to write them all again, as some are just my personal opinions. But few mention about the downsizes of the new air 2s even vs old MP1 not to mention MP2.
Dji fly is better regarding easyness to use, but is worse as lots of options are gone. I am guessing that MP3 will use dji go 4 - they will keep it as a "pro" app, while dji fly will be the "consumer" app, but only time will tell.
After selling the MP1 and switching to Air 2s my only hope is that MP3 will cost more than 2300$ so i will have no regret that i changed the "birds"
The reason some of the options are gone is because the newer hardware probably does not support those features. Course without knowing specifically which one's you're referring to, it's speculation on my part.

Guessing about the cost of a virtually unknown drone which may or may not be called a Mavic 3 and what features it will have is always an interesting exercise, but until there are some actual leaks that may show up closer to when it might actually ship, its all speculation and wish lists.. Course I guess its pretty easy to assume that it will cost more than a MA2S, but it may match some of the older Pro models and not go overboard with cost.. but that could be wishful thinking too..

Reactions: Van Belle Jean Marc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa