DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts after upgrade from Pro 1 tot Air 2s

Miob

Reactions
I had more than a few doubts if I wanted to upgrade frome my old Pro 1 to an Air 2S. I thought I'd share my thoughts after doing so, shopefully helping some people who are in doubts about the upgrade too.

So. In short: Am I happy I did the upgrade? I guess not. Not really unhappy, but certainly not very happy.

The drone straight out of the box had a few disapointments:
- I did not realize it would not use the DJI Go4 app, but uses the DJI Fly app which gives you a lot less controle. I hate the uresponsiveness of the yaw stick. The DJI Fly app doesn't let you adjust that for example.
- So point 2: Yaw is too slow
- It took me 10 tries to get the Fly app installed, I don't know why.
- I blindly ordered the fly more combo (yes, I know, I should have looked). For this amount of money it does not come with a car charger? What the hell??
- Active Track 4.0 is definetly an improvement, no denying that, but not THAT much of an improvement
- Without side sensors the rear sensors add very little to me
- While the remote feels a lot better, it is also a lot biger. n motorcycle/bike travels this is an issue
- My drone had a black spot on the sensor, I had to trade it in straight away
- It has some flight issues: Longer braking distance, sometimes it won't accelerate, it gains (quite a bit) of altitude when going from hover to forward flight
- Gimbal horizon drift during panorama's
- the price....

There are some good things of course, but if I have to sum them up I get to 3 that really count:
- If you forget the yaw, it handles better/nimbler then the pro1
- slighlty quiter
- the camera obviously. And that is a big one.

So would I have doen the upgrade knwoing this beforehand? I think not. I was really on the fence, had I known the above the scales would have tipped to 'do not buy'.

Mavic 3:
I could have waited for the mavic 3, but looking at the price of the air 2s and the expectations for the mavic 3 I was very sure that the Mavic 3 would go for a price that I was not going t be prepared to pay.

Love me my Pro 1. The only instances I can foresee to make me "upgrade" is either if I kill it, or lack of availability of worn parts(props/batteries)

Love me my Pro 1. The only instances I can foresee to make me "upgrade" is either if I kill it, or lack of availability of worn parts(props/batteries)
I love it too. It has seen so much f the world with me and it hase proven to be so incredibly reliable. The only thing letting it down a bit is the camera.

I had more than a few doubts if I wanted to upgrade frome my old Pro 1 to an Air 2S. I thought I'd share my thoughts after doing so, shopefully helping some people who are in doubts about the upgrade too.

So. In short: Am I happy I did the upgrade? I guess not. Not really unhappy, but certainly not very happy.

- I did not realize it would not use the DJI Go4 app, but uses the DJI Fly app which gives you a lot less controle. I hate the uresponsiveness of the yaw stick. The DJI Fly app doesn't let you adjust that for example.
- I blindly ordered the fly more combo (yes, I know, I should have looked). For this amount of money it does not come with a car charger? What the hell??
- Active Track 4.0 is definetly an improvement, no denying that, but not THAT much of an improvement
- While the remote feels a lot better, it is also a lot biger. n motorcycle/bike travels this is an issue
- It has some flight issues: Longer braking distance, sometimes it won't accelerate, it gains (quite a bit) of altitude when going from hover to forward flight
- the price....

There are some good things of course, but if I have to sum them up I get to 3 that really count:
- slighlty quiter

So would I have doen the upgrade knwoing this beforehand? I think not. I was really on the fence, had I known the above the scales would have tipped to 'do not buy'.

Mavic 3:
I could have waited for the mavic 3, but looking at the price of the air 2s and the expectations for the mavic 3 I was very sure that the Mavic 3 would go for a price that I was not going t be prepared to pay.
Thank you! I know that people get excited about their new drones and focus on the aspects that they love. I also wonder if sometimes they're trying to convince themselves that it was the right decision. The direct comparison and honest evaluation is appreciated.

- the price....

- slighlty quiter

Mavic 3:
While I can understand some of the frustration, some of your complaints could have easily been discovered with some simple research..

Fly has been around for over a year, Go 4 is done.. I know some people really miss Go 4, I don't.. I think Fly is better, but there are also things that DJI could do still to make it better.. Never had yaw issues on my MA2... not sure why the MA2S would be any different in this regard, perhaps its merely getting used to a new model and remote.

Not sure why you had trouble installing the app, I am guessing you have an Android device, if you had IOS, I suspect that you would have had no trouble. I have not seen a drone include a car charger ever.. While perhaps when they were shipping the Pro , they included those, its also easy to see whats in the box, there are many unboxing videos.

Looking at the Pro, I see front and bottom sensors and the camera, do not see side sensors? Maybe I am overlooking something. Since I never owned one.

I think you need to get used to flying it, once you've been flying it for a while, you'll like it more..

- the price....

- slighlty quiter

Mavic 3:
Small thing-3rd party car chargers are plentiful and much cheaper than DJI's.

- the price....

- slighlty quiter

Mavic 3:
Hanatora car chargers work well and are far less expensive than DJI's

Reactions: Thomas B

- the price....

- slighlty quiter

Mavic 3:
The parameters for adjusting yaw speed, yaw sensitivity, and braking distance may not be available in the fly app but they are still in the aircraft firmware. If you download the free version of DroneHacks you’ll be able to adjust those things.

It’s really not a hack you are just changing settings that DJI use to allow you to change in the app.

Reactions: Joao Vgs
Maybe he means the aircraft yaw speed, not the gimbal? I will be interested for his reply as this would be an issue for me as well. I have been holding off with the MA2S as a possible backup for my MP2...
If you look at the graphic, The settings in this page not only adjust the speed of gimbal, but the speed of the AC, what more do you need? And while you don't see it in that shot, its for every mode, Cine, Normal and I think Sport, though I am not 100% sure without looking.. not going to do that right now..

Looking at the Pro, I see front and bottom sensors and the camera, do not see side sensors? Maybe I am overlooking something. Since I never owned one.

M1P only has the front and bottom sensors, at the time that's about all any of them had.

There's another thread here about someones disappointment with the MA2s . . .

For sure most of the issues in that thread and here could have been discovered before purchase.

M1P only has the front and bottom sensors, at the time that's about all any of them had.

There's another thread here about someones disappointment with the MA2s . . .

For sure most of the issues in that thread and here could have been discovered before purchase.
Yes, within hours and days of release the MA2S. YouTube was filled with reviews and tutorials and comparisons to the MA2.

I think the MA2S is an incremental but solid upgrade over the MA2. If I were in DJI's Marketing, I would have dropped the MA2 and priced the MA2S at day $849 and $1049 for the combo, because of the camera. IMHO...

I am not going to replace my MA2 at this point, may see whats coming next and then decide if there is a reason to get a better drone..

Reactions: GarthH
If you look at the graphic, The settings in this page not only adjust the speed of gimbal, but the speed of the AC, what more do you need? And while you don't see it in that shot, its for every mode, Cine, Normal and I think Sport, though I am not 100% sure without looking.. not going to do that right now..
B76BC02C-325A-48FC-8F76-0F95A0184C1B.jpeg

It was further down the page

Reactions: brett8883
Well there you go! Is there no ability to changing braking distance/brake gain though?
Seems to me that you can brake as hard as you please depending on how you control the stick. You're not really going to get any smooth video during any braking maneuver that I can see.. you're just nitpicking now.

Seems to me that you can brake as hard as you please depending on how you control the stick. You're not really going to get any smooth video during any braking maneuver that I can see.. you're just nitpicking now.
Brake gain is a fundamental setting for me and it’s always been available to be modified on all DJI drones up to ones that use the fly app I guess. I have other DJI drones including an Inspire 2 and if I can’t tune the new drones to behave like the others, how I like it, that would be a big problem.

I hate when they screech to a halt which can ruin a shot. I always turn mine down as low as it will go. You can get good cinematic movement while braking and the fact that you think it’s not possible underscores why this is an issue.

As I said earlier all these settings can be changed including expo control, which I guess also can’t be controlled in the fly app, by using DroneHacks so DJI has just removed the ability to change it in the app which is really frustrating.

Brake gain is a fundamental setting for me and it’s always been available to be modified on all DJI drones up to ones that use the fly app I guess. I have other DJI drones including an Inspire 2 and if I can’t tune the new drones to behave like the others, how I like it, that would be a big problem.

I hate when they screech to a halt which can ruin a shot. I always turn mine down as low as it will go. You can get good cinematic movement while braking and the fact that you think it’s not possible underscores why this is an issue.

As I said earlier all these settings can be changed including expo control, which I guess also can’t be controlled in the fly app, by using DroneHacks so DJI has just removed the ability to change it in the app which is really frustrating.
Hmm.... I do not see any braking action, no matter how smooth adding to the shot.. Show me an example video that shows that adjusting this setting this setting actually generates video you would not edit out because it contributes to the video.

I can see if I slowly release the stick to slow to a hover without any swift action should generate a potentially smooth stop, specially in cine mode.

But screeching to a halt would be a deliberate action with the stick to stop the drone suddenly, and I don't think any adjustment would really compensate for that..

Hmm.... I do not see any braking action, no matter how smooth adding to the shot.. Show me an example video that shows that adjusting this setting this setting actually generates video you would not edit out because it contributes to the video.
Coming to a slow stop should be self evident as a desirable trait. I don’t feel the need to exemplify this.
I can see if I slowly release the stick to slow to a hover without any swift action should generate a potentially smooth stop, specially in cine mode.
You are thinking about this in a vacuum. Like the OP I have other drones I use and have been flying drones a certain way for years with settings I determined years ago were how I liked them. Part of owning DJI drones is that even when you upgrade to a new model the basic feel and flight control settings could be tweaked to how you want them. If these new models don’t allow that then part of what keeps me coming back and buying new DJI drones is no longer applicable.

I don’t expect you or need you to understand, all I’m saying is I understand the OP’s frustration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest