DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts: firmware (500,700) & updates & connection & map & influence

theflyingcat

Reactions
Condition: App - 4.0.7/4.0.8 Firmware RC& Mavic - 500/700

Hi everyone, I just have this done and ready to use an old phone to fly in airplane mode. Got two main things not sure and want to discuss with you pilots.

1) If we want to avoid updates from dji. We always need to fly in no data/no internet connection mode, am I right? And Is our function of return home is same as before? Any influence? How about the accuracy of gps recording flying route on the map?

2)Also, I do think we should avoid opening the app when device is connecting to Internet. Someday dji may force our app update if they take it serious I think. Therefore, no login of our dji account in the app. That will cause two problems I think: maps (no internet) and log (no login)

Maps: What I do is to cache the map with iPhone map with Internet on (app off) to the places I want to fly this time. Then disconnect Internet and fly. So the map in the app will shows the detail. Any better idea?

Logs: I always like to see the flying log. But since we choose not let app connect to Internet. Any idea to see the log? some people say using airdata or some website. How does it work if we do not connect the Internet and since we don't log in.

If we lost our Mavic somewhere, we cannot use the log to locate it right? Any thoughts.. My first idea is to connect to Internet and log in the app after flying and power off Mavic to upload record... But then I realise it is better not let the app connect to Internet.

3) last, it is okay to connect Mavic to computer using usb and open assistant 2 with Internet connection ? I think it is better disconnect the Internet, what do u think?

Thanks you !!

1) If we want to avoid updates from dji. We always need to fly in no data/no internet connection mode, am I right? And Is our function of return home is same as before? Any influence? How about the accuracy of gps recording flying route on the map?

DJI can't force an update of your app. Your device and OS control the updating of apps, not the app owner. All you have to do is turn off automatic updates in Android or iOs and nothing will update without your permission. Your firmware is also not a forced update (other than Spark), so technically they can't force that on you either. I fly with older firmware and older apps, with the data connection on and experience no issue. You can turn it off out of an abundance of caution but up to this point, it's not necessary.

RTH is no issue, with or without data. It's based on GPS and the vision system, so it comes back to home without a problem. No influence whatsoever with/without data. The only difference is that you don't see the real-time map displayed during flight (unless you cached it).

2)Also, I do think we should avoid opening the app when device is connecting to Internet. Someday dji may force our app update if they take it serious I think.

I see no reason to avoid it. Until someone notes that their app turns off on them (like was announced with the Spark), there's no real reason to avoid using data from the Internet. You can always roll-back your app or your firmware if that ever happens, so even that isn't a real risk.

Maps: What I do is to cache the map with iPhone map with Internet on (app off) to the places I want to fly this time. Then disconnect Internet and fly. So the map in the app will shows the detail. Any better idea?

You can do this or you can use the data. I wouldn't be so paranoid at this point about an Internet connection until it is shown that DJI is forcing users to update.

Logs: I always like to see the flying log. But since we choose not let app connect to Internet. Any idea to see the log? some people say using airdata or some website. How does it work if we do not connect the Internet and since we don't log in.

The logs are saved locally on the Mavic, not in the cloud (though they can be backed up there). You can always connect to your MP with DJI Assistant and download/view your logs.

If we lost our Mavic somewhere, we cannot use the log to locate it right? Any thoughts.. My first idea is to connect to Internet and log in the app after flying and power off Mavic to upload record... But then I realise it is better not let the app connect to Internet.

Again, this info is stored locally on your device with the app, not in the cloud. You can use the "Find my drone" function all you want, with or without a connection (though no pretty satellite image). You can always plug the data into Google Earth/Maps if you insist on going that route.

3) last, it is okay to connect Mavic to computer using usb and open assistant 2 with Internet connection ? I think it is better disconnect the Internet, what do u think?

Again, there is no evidence that this can affect your app or firmware via forcing an update, so there is no real issue with that either.

Unless or until someone can clearly provide evidence that DJI has forced the app or firmware to be updated when connected to the Internet, there should be no real reason (other than extreme paranoia) to avoid it. Like I said, I have outdated firmware, outdated apps, and regularly use DJI Assistant, and I do it all while connected to the Internet (when available), and I have zero issues. If someone can prove me wrong, I'll change my protocol but until then, it's not a problem.

Last edited:
DJI can't force an update of your app. Your device and OS control the updating of apps, not the app owner. All you have to do is turn off automatic updates in Android or iOs and nothing will update without your permission. Your firmware is also not a forced update (other than Spark), so technically they can't force that on you either. I fly with older firmware and older apps, with the data connection on and experience no issue. You can turn it off out of an abundance of caution but up to this point, it's not necessary.

RTH is no issue, with or without data. It's based on GPS and the vision system, so it comes back to home without a problem. No influence whatsoever with/without data. The only difference is that you don't see the real-time map displayed during flight (unless you cached it).

I see no reason to avoid it. Until someone notes that their app turns off on them (like was announced with the Spark), there's no real reason to avoid using data from the Internet. You can always roll-back your app or your firmware if that ever happens, so even that isn't a real risk.

You can do this or you can use the data. I wouldn't be so paranoid at this point about an Internet connection until it is shown that DJI is forcing users to update.

The logs are saved locally on the Mavic, not in the cloud (though they can be backed up there). You can always connect to your MP with DJI Assistant and download/view your logs.

Again, this info is stored locally on your device with the app, not in the cloud. You can use the "Find my drone" function all you want, with or without a connection (though no pretty satellite image). You can always plug the data into Google Earth/Maps if you insist on going that route.

Again, there is no evidence that this can affect your app or firmware via forcing an update, so there is no real issue with that either.

Unless or until someone can clearly provide evidence that DJI has forced the app or firmware to be updated when connected to the Internet, there should be no real reason (other than extreme paranoia) to avoid it. Like I said, I have outdated firmware, outdated apps, and regularly use DJI Assistant, and I do it all while connected to the Internet (when available), and I have zero issues. If someone can prove me wrong, I'll change my protocol but until then, it's not a problem.

Thanks very very much !!! For the long and detailed explanation !!!! Cheers !!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer