DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Three fatal mistakes when flying over water!

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but seeing where this thread is going, I have to ask- is flying just a few feet over water BVLOS even a thing? Is that how people are drowning their drones?

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but seeing where this thread is going, I have to ask- is flying just a few feet over water BVLOS even a thing? Is that how people are drowning their drones?

You're implying that flying from the camera view is riskier low to water than eyeballs, correct?

Have you ever flown FPV?

I think the title of the video is improper. The video is more of his 3 personal opinions when flying over water.
You got that right,it is his own opinion.I fly over water 98% of the time to photograph shipwrecks.
If you do all of the preflight checks before taking off everything will be just like flying over land after you get used to it.
Obstacle sensors are always turned off,and I never fly lower than around 40 feet above the water.

Hi all,
A great many of us fly over water at some point with our flights. I came across this interesting YouTube video on Ted Nemeth's channel and thought it was worth sharing.

Great stuff. I have always thought my drone flies a little weird over water.

Thanks for posting.

Didn’t know air pressure can throw off accuracy of flight level by plus or minus 10’. Thanks.
And don't forget that air pressure can vary significantly when moving air (AKA "wind") flows past and around obstacles such as bridge piers or buildings.

Reactions: tls3601
My backyard is a lake with a river, this is my main flying area.
I prefer flying over water and checking out the boats, but I fly no less than 100 feet. Sometimes fly with floaties but it does effect battery life.
Last weekend I did a video for the Gadsden-Etowah Habitat for Humanity.
Go to my Facebook page videos to watch if interested ....
or google drive: 0823(2).mp4
It was a windy day so I did not get to fly as much as I wanted, and as a precaution I flew with my floaties.
Please leave off any negative comments as too my video editing ability, I already know I suck ....

Last edited:
Elevations arent very accurate, put two drones up at the same height then look at them, or do a visual and read what the controllers telling you ?

Depending on the surface below, the ranging sensors (ultrasonic on older drones, IR on newer) measure pretty accurate height below 30ft, displayed in red in the telemetry section in the lower left. It shows height with 0.1ft resolution, and my experience is it is pretty accurate when close (<10ft).

I use and rely on this flying FPV all the time. Over the highly variable surface of breaking surf right along the shoreline it still is pretty accurate, although quite variable. However, to stay at least 6 feet above mild 2-3 ft breakers it works great.

with the Tennessee river 2 miles from me it makes a prime spot to fly. done so many years, lost a few birds because of stupidity, mainly bebop 2s maxing out the battery's. however not any problems with dji birds. its just a natural attraction

to fly over water for me.
Loch Ness monster flies mostly beneath the waves. However, if one drinks enough Whisky, he is known to break the surface.....

Reactions: SWTSU
I fly over water most of the time without any issues. I dont fly below 12ft from the surface and avoid if there is any fog over water because that would fool sensors and may cause an issues.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Loch Ness monster flies mostly beneath the waves. However, if one drinks enough Whisky, he is known to break the surface.....

He'll surface immediately for a single-malt Scotch.

It was a windy day so I did not get to fly as much as I wanted, and as a precaution I flew with my floaties.
A windy day is the time you don't want to lumber your drone with those wind-catching floaty contraptions.
The drone will deal with the wind a lot better without that handicap.

Reactions: MS Coast and Torque

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weblloyd