DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thunder Rumbling—What Would You Do?

PS01

Reactions
I hear thunder rumbling and even the ceiling of my room trembles. But I really want to fly. Should I go or not? I need your advice guys.

I would not. The risk of losing my drone to a downpour is not worth the potential reward of a shot.

Reactions: PS01
I would depending on my rain app if not to just to hop up and try and get a shot of any cool cloud formations or possibly even some lightning.
Course I Tweet weather pictures to the local tv weather stations.

I might.provided the storm is 5-10 miles away.

I'd first put tape over the edges around the battery compartment so no water gets into it. Then fly just high enough for the drone to hover over any trees/buildings that block the view - likely no more then 70-100 feet high.

Then get into my car making sure I have VLOS out the window, point the camera to the darkest part of the sky, or where lightning was last seen, and let the video run. At first sign of rain, or high winds land close to the car, grab the drone and get the heck out of there.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I hear thunder rumbling and even the ceiling of my room trembles. But I really want to fly. Should I go or not? I need your advice guys.
If your only reason is due to impatience I would say no. If you have some worthwhile return then maybe it’s worth risking it.
Phantom rain should be here soon.

I say no, don't fly. Use the down time to do some study on Thunderstorms. There is a lot more to worry about than copious amounts of rain. An Airman of any type needs to have a great deal of respect for Thunderstorms. Large or full size aircraft avoid Thunderstorms by many miles. The good news is, in many cases Thunderstorms don't last a long time.

Depending on proximity I would not...

Besides the possibility of sudden heavy rain and hail there is this:

Strong downdrafts occur in the vicinity of thunderstorms; in addition, thunder always means lightning in the area. Lightning (if close enough) is an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) that interrupts the control link and can also wreak havoc with the aircraft and remote electronics.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Reactions: Jeff A and PS01
If the ceiling of your room trembles then the lightning is fairly close. Lightning can kill you. Sit back and enjoy the show from indoors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD