DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

time lapse question

Rainsong

Reactions
Hi,
I have been playing with defferent methods of timelapse (photo vs video). In photo, the smallest increment I can find is every 2 seconds in JPEG, 10 seconds in RAW. 2 seconds still seems too fast. Is ther anyway to set to every second or half second or is the only way to do what I want is shoot video and speed up in Shotcut?

When shooting a timelapse it is best just to shoot in jpeg because the raw files will be too big. Also, a two second interval is really a pretty fast interval and I’m not sure why you would want to set it lower than that. I personally fly a mini, and the lowest time interval for that is 2 seconds. I’m not sure with the M2P or the MA2 what they can do. I typically shoot with a 5 second interval.

Hi,
I have been playing with defferent methods of timelapse (photo vs video). In photo, the smallest increment I can find is every 2 seconds in JPEG, 10 seconds in RAW. 2 seconds still seems too fast. Is ther anyway to set to every second or half second or is the only way to do what I want is shoot video and speed up in Shotcut?

Its the age old question, I think you would be better off just recording and speeding it up on the time line with some good software from Final Cut X Pro or Adobe Premiere.

This way you get much more control and you can slow some things down more or speed them up and not have to rely on the Hyper Finite Algo if that makes sense.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain or Float on water

When shooting a timelapse it is best just to shoot in jpeg because the raw files will be too big. Also, a two second interval is really a pretty fast interval and I’m not sure why you would want to set it lower than that. I personally fly a mini, and the lowest time interval for that is 2 seconds. I’m not sure with the M2P or the MA2 what they can do. I typically shoot with a 5 second interval.
What are you shooting? Clouds or traffic?

Its the age old question, I think you would be better off just recording and speeding it up on the time line with some good software from Final Cut X Pro or Adobe Premiere.

This way you get much more control and you can slow some things down more or speed them up and not have to rely on the Hyper Finite Algo if that makes sense.

Phantomrain.org
Thanks. Yes that does make sense. Shotcut will allow you to speed up 50x which looks way faster than photos every 2 seconds. I'm not a math wiz but I'm sure there is a way to figure out what a photo every 2 seconds equates to video speeded up x times.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
What are you shooting? Clouds or traffic?

I always just shoot clouds. I’ve always just done timed shot, but I might try videoing and speeding it up. There are a lot of guys on this forum that are wayyyy more experienced than me, I was just giving you my personal experience with timelapse shooting. With clouds they just move so slow, I figured that a long interval between shots would do the job. If I ever try shooting traffic I will speed up the video like Phantom Rain said.

Reactions: Rainsong

Phantomrain.org
That’s an idea, problem is it’s called “time lapse “. I tried that. A live video sped up takes way too much space if you cover a significant amount of clock time like 20 minutes. However, it might work for shorter situations.

Reactions: nhgill960
That’s an idea, problem is it’s called “time lapse “. I tried that. A live video sped up takes way too much space if you cover a significant amount of clock time like 20 minutes. However, it might work for shorter situations.

That’s what I had heard before.

Hi,
I have been doing timelapse video with my DSLR and using LRTimelapse software since 2015. When I got my first drone 3 years ago (Mavic Air 1) the only options are 2 seconds and 5 seconds, I believe. The obvious advantages of shooting in RAW are that you can get millions more pixels and data to open shadows, and color correct in Lightroom with RAW files. Presently I have a Mavic 2 Pro with options of 2 seconds , 5 seconds, and I am not sure what else.I try to pick the lowest number interval that will allow me to shoot in RAW, and I hit the button that lets me SAVE IN RAW files. I do not use the on-board processing which is saved in JPG. Ten seconds is just too long of an interval for me. There is just not enough battery to time to do a decent timelapse.

Speeding the image up in post works just fine, and reducing the file size either of the video or space for stills is a benefit as well.

Slowing it down in post is another matter, and should be avoided unless you find speeds that make an i

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111