DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time to upgrade... again

Davpmars

Reactions
I have owned a DJI spark for several years. I recently bought the DGI Mavic mini and I am extremely unhappy. I realized after the fact that I purchased the CE model which has far less range than the FCC model. Now I am finding that there are several people complaining about weak signal and the Mavic mini being blown away at high altitude. Now I’m thinking about upgrading to the Mavic air 2.

Before I make the purchase can anyone here tell me what the major complaints are about the Mavic air 2 so that I don’t have any surprises this time?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Davpmars.

I've had the Spark since it was released in 2017 and have recently upgraded to the MA2.

I haven't flown it enough to find anything to complain about.

I like the one piece design of the Spark and any complaints I have would be the folding and unfolding of the Mavic series when conducting a flight.

I think you'll like the MA2.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

I have owned a DJI spark for several years. I recently bought the DGI Mavic mini and I am extremely unhappy. I realized after the fact that I purchased the CE model which has far less range than the FCC model. Now I am finding that there are several people complaining about weak signal and the Mavic mini being blown away at high altitude. Now I’m thinking about upgrading to the Mavic air 2.

Before I make the purchase can anyone here tell me what the major complaints are about the Mavic air 2 so that I don’t have any surprises this time?

To be honest, you should have done more research before making big purchasing decisions. I watched over a dozen YouTube videos from respectable channels to get an overview of the industry before homing in on a decision between the Mavic Mini, Mavic Air 2 and Skydio 2.

Here's just a few of the videos I checked out:

From the above, I knew that the Mini doesn't have Occusynch 2.0, and thus has limited range. I also knew that it is not very wind resistant and can be blown away in strong winds. That's why I picked Mavic Air 2 for my first drone.

Major complaints or surprises? Nothing major for me. Several potential issues to consider:

1) I would point out that it isn't great for shooting at night. It is inferior to the Mavic 2 Pro due to smaller sensors. So if you were planning to fly at night a lot, the Air 2 is probably not for you. Then again, no drone under $1000 is good at night.

2) Don't assume obstacle avoidance means you can fly carelessly. There is no obstacle avoidance system smart enough to compensate for pilot error completely.

3) Don't expect Occusynch 2.0 to give you guaranteed signal up to the advertised 10km range. In urban environments, you will be severely constrained by signal interference. From the roof of my 30-storey apartment, I can reach over 3km if I can maintain direct line of sight between the controller and the drone. But if there's high rise buildings between my controller and drone, I can lose signal in under 500m. I think that water can be a problem, so the water tanks on the roof of my apartment and even water in trees can cut out my signal connection.

On water let me say almost all my flying is directly over water and
vast tracts of hardwoods and pines and it has never affected my signal. If anything I’d bet water would increase my signal .
Now I fly over the foliage not like through the forest. Wind is definitely
a concern no mater what you have. Some handle it better due to the weight of what you have. How you fly or say what you plan to do with
what you get is what should be took into consideration on what you get. As far as the unfolding of the arms as was mentioned you get used to that and really isn’t a big concern.
From all the Phantoms I’ve had and Mavics I love the compactness
of the folding arms the best. And the occusync you can’t beat.

As far as the unfolding of the arms as was mentioned you get used to that and really isn’t a big concern.

Ha ha. I'm learning the procedure. ?

It was awkward at first for me since I had to keep an eye on the props while unfolding.

With the Spark, that's the only thing to unfold. :D

Bought a mini in Dec then 3 months later bought a air 2.

Reason for going with Air 2 is the following:
  • air 2 does SO much better in wind
  • air 2 range is superior to mini with ocuysync (this is a big one for me i fly out and over woods and mini cant get near as far).
  • turns out i do want a few more sensors to help me
  • better camera and options for quick shots.
  • would argue that it is slightly quieter than the mini
D'ont get me wrong i love flying the mini still and use it as a back up i just dont ever have to think about taking out the air 2 in most cases to get a shot (i shoot a lot of thunderstorms with wind).

Con's to both:
  • I WANT TO USE GOGGLES
  • i think a sensor up would be good in scenarios

my two cents as i own both.

I own both as well. The air 2 seems like 10 years more advanced than the mini In all areas and it's even quieter. Unless you use some kind of range extenders on the mini it will normally struggle over 500 metres and video break up can be even sooner .

Reactions: Tweeter
I own both as well. The air 2 seems like 10 years more advanced than the mini In all areas and it's even quieter. Unless you use some kind of range extenders on the mini it will normally struggle over 500 metres and video break up can be even sooner .
I wouldn’t say normally as mine don’t. Guess it depends on your location.But is a big step up from the Mini.

Bought a mini in Dec then 3 months later bought a air 2.

Reason for going with Air 2 is the following:
  • air 2 does SO much better in wind
  • air 2 range is superior to mini with ocuysync (this is a big one for me i fly out and over woods and mini cant get near as far).
  • turns out i do want a few more sensors to help me
  • better camera and options for quick shots.
  • would argue that it is slightly quieter than the mini
D'ont get me wrong i love flying the mini still and use it as a back up i just dont ever have to think about taking out the air 2 in most cases to get a shot (i shoot a lot of thunderstorms with wind).

Con's to both:
  • I WANT TO USE GOGGLES
  • i think a sensor up would be good in scenarios

my two cents as i own both.

Having the smart controller you can use goggles with the Air 2.

Do i need to concern myself with the FCC and CE nonsense. I am an American living in Indonesia. I was happy to see that i could buy the Mini here for the same price as in the states. The dealer told me “is it OK that is the European version” i thought “sure, i don’t care that it has a different plug, i have tons of adapters”

It turns out this was an expensive lesson in the difference between CE and FCC regulations. Apparently my drone is CE and has a lesser range than even what you in the states will get.

Do i need to worry about what “version” i buy when purchasing a Air 2?

Do i need to concern myself with the FCC and CE nonsense. I am an American living in Indonesia.

<Snip>

Do i need to worry about what “version” i buy when purchasing a Air 2?

Not on a MA2 as unlike the Mini there is only one model. But LIKE every other DJI drone you will still be transmitting in CE mode in your location. It isn't till you return to FCC Zone that it will transmit full power.

That option was available on a Mavic Mini as well depending on where you purchased. IF you bought the FCC Version you would have encountered the same. The FCC would have dropped to CE mode in your location, but back up had you came to visit the states.

There are reportedly ways to supersede power ouputs (Google is your friend) but as it is DJI and other reputable companies must be in compliance with countries output laws to be compliant for sale and operation.
There are other drone manufactures that just sell in the US for that reason...and of course other companies that just put a CE sticker on and call it a day.

Last edited:
Last question, The dealer mechanic here in Indonesia says that the range on the air 2 is not much better than the mini.

What do you think? How much range should I expect from the Mavic air 2 realistically? I have watched YouTube videos but I would like to get your opinion as well.

Last question, The dealer mechanic here in Indonesia says that the range on the air 2 is not much better than the mini.

What do you think? How much range should I expect from the Mavic air 2 realistically? I have watched YouTube videos but I would like to get your opinion as well.

The dji wifi vs ocusync 2.0 is a game changer for connectivity in my opinion which translates to more distance in my experience between both of them. Range is significantly better in FCC mode here in the states... I imagine if your not able to use that method there it could impact things between both of them... not 100% sure on that one so let other people chime in.

----
The new Mavic Air 2 uses DJI's OcuSync 2.0 technology, just like the Mavic 2 series does. The improved version in the Mavic Air 2 allows its to have a maximum control range of 10km (6.2 miles), while the Mavic 2 and Mavic Mini have maximum control distances of 8km (5 miles) and 4km (2.5 miles), respectively.

The new Mavic Air 2 uses DJI's OcuSync 2.0 technology, just like the Mavic 2 series does. The improved version in the Mavic Air 2 allows its to have a maximum control range of 10km (6.2 miles), while the Mavic 2 and Mavic Mini have maximum control distances of 8km (5 miles) and 4km (2.5 miles), respectively.
Useful in the U.S. only until you lose VLOS even with “stronger” signal.

Reactions: dirkclod
Useful in the U.S. only until you lose VLOS even with “stronger” signal.
Fair lol. However
I don't like my cars governed at the speed limit but I don't speed.
I don't like my mazagizes for my rifle capped and I don't burn through them inappropriately.
I don't like my drone deciding where I stop seeing it
:)

Reactions: Crash_Davis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura