DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for absolute beginners (from an absolute beginner)

Spectro

Reactions
I own the DJI Mini 2 for about 3 weeks now and I have flown with it about 4 times ... and I have to say that the most important thing an absolute beginner has to learn is ... (drums) : patience, patience, patience !!!

Controlling a drone as you see on numerous Youtube video's is just really hard ... getting to know your aircraft should be the primary concern instead of trying to shoot cinematic footage as of the first flight.

I find that I tend to panic when something unexpected happens (mixing up the controls or having a very interested seagull nearby for example) ... all I want to do then is not to crash my drone but instead of that I start steering it in all directions !

Another issue for pilots who are just starting out is playing with ND/PL filters ... sometimes you find you have shot the perfect picture ... but you used a filter that was too dark ... and since you're not a professional photographer, you can't fix the picture afterwards in any way, hahahaha.

Conclusion : my next flights will be all about flying the aircraft itself, not messing around with video's and/or photo's ... cause it tends to lower the level of focus on the actual flying skills.

Any other tips ?

Reactions: Cashed
I’m 6 months in brand new pilot. Before my first flight , I youtubed and re-youtubed everything on my M2P. I still youtube but more advanced info now.

I decided to master (practice) the craft in steps:
1- Basic flight controls in air. Learn the controller and basic up, down, left, right and landing/ takeoff.
2- Basic Picture taking and settings
3- Basic Videotaking and settings.
4- Advanced maneuvers.....I used my dog in the backyard to manually track with the drone. This really increased my skill level on the controls. Don’t scare you dog though.
5- Advanced maneuvers with video on.

My M2P has tracking, but I’m learning by tracking manually. I noticed my flight skill level increased dramatically.

6- Advanced Picture and Video taking.

Youtube constantly for other ideas specific to your drone and as you stated practice, practice, practice.

Reactions: DBT_Drone
When any of my friends have mentioned getting into drones I always suggest getting a Hubsan Nano drone. They’re about £20 and brilliant for learning the basics of flying a drone. Plus, they’re small enough to fly in the house without causing any damage.

Reactions: Spectro
Any other tips ?

As a newbie you definitely should forget the camera initially & concentrate on flying the drone & how all automated/semi-automated functions work ...

Below points is what I usually send to beginners ... all is about the drone itself, if these isn't fully understood it will end badly sooner or later. Some of the thing's isn't applicable to all drone models though ... OD sensors for instance.

Also the maneuvering of the drone can come in a slower pace ... these drones hover on the spot when sticks are released ... so uncertain, just release & think. The correct maneuvering will grow with every flight, just keep the distance to obstacles & let that skill take it's time.

Read the user manual ...the thick downloadable one, not only the quick start, can usually be downloaded in the models web page at DJI ... under section "Downloads"

Power on in the right order ... First power on your RC & start the app ... after that, power on the drone (& do it on the spot you're going to take off from). Reverse order to shut down.

Before take-off ALWAYS ... add in one very easy check to avoid a really scary event coming from accidentally launching from a magnetic disturbed place with following flyaway at height in an uncontrollable "toilet bowl" shaped flight path. After powering on your drone, connected to your RC/app & placed it in the take-off spot ... but before lift-off, ALWAYS check that the drone icon on the map in your app is pointing equal in relation to other objects in the map as the drone does in reality ... if not, abort launch attempt, power down & move away, power up again and repeat.

Keep well under the wind spec where you fly ... and please note that it's not only at ground, it's at the altitude where you fly. The winds up to 400ft are very different then on ground. Use for instance the UAV Forecast app where you can get a feeling about the winds on higher altitudes, but please note that it's forecasts we are speaking of, a bit of common sense is good to apply to that ... "better skip flying a windy day & fly more another day".

Don't go & calibrate everything on a regularly basis ... why fix things that are working, it's just a higher risk that you by mistake calibrate your compass in a magnetic disturbed area & the drone goes haywire 10 meters up in the air. Calibrate IMU + compass according to user manual, keep away from magnetic things like cars, metal tables & reinforced concrete at take-off & compass calibrations. If the app recommend a compass calibration first try another launch spot on a far distance from the first ... if calibration still is recommended by the app do it, but only then.

Don't launch in a hurry ... wait until you have at least 8, preferable 10 locked satellites & wait for the lady voice announce that the Home point has been updated, check then on the map that it's in the correct spot. Learn how the RTH function works, don't set the altitude for that unnecessary high, look around were you are going to fly and set it to clear the highest obstacle, to high & the drone risks a blow away.

Seek up a large open place ... a soccer field, free of obstacles & people. Test off every function one at a time until you fully understand how it works & the logic behind, confirm through the user manual if needed. Fly low, slow & near.

Take the claimed control distance from DJI with a pinch of salt ... only doable out in the countryside completely free of WiFi disturbance & obstacles in between the Remote & Aircraft.

Don't rely 100% on the obstacle avoidance sensors ... they are good & handy to have to perhaps save you when making a mistake, but they can't see everything, especially thin branches & wires so don't think they will allow your drone to just bounce away from everything all the time.

The Pause button on the RC ... It's a handy one, it will stop all automated modes immediately (if you have GPS coverage). Place your thumb on that when you initiate a automated flight mode & be prepare to stop it if too close to a tree for instance.

Don't use the RTH button as a "panic button" it's usually the weakest mode of them all ... you will always have access to more power in the manual modes ... if slow against a bit to strong head wind, go for Sport mode, drop altitude & maneuver the drone home manually.

Learn the rules & regulation ... keep the drone within Visual line of sight, if you can't avoid going out of visual keep it at least in line of sight (unobstructed line between Remote & Aircraft even though you don't see it) so you don’t lose the connection.

Don't use the RTH button as a "panic button" it's usually the weakest mode of them all ... you will always have access to more power in the manual modes ... if slow against a bit to strong head wind, go for Sport mode, drop altitude & maneuver the drone home manually.
This is a big one in my opinion. It always amazes me the number of people that ALWAYS use RTH to get their drone back to them in none emergency situations rather than learn to fly it back to them manually. So, when they do end up in a situation where they need to get their drone back quickly they have no idea how to do it.

Also - big piece of helpful advice. If you get in trouble with your drone the first thing you should do is get it lower. As low as possible, as safely as possible, and whilst being able to maintain sight. This is especially helpful in a situation where your drone is being swept up by the wind. Don’t waste battery trying to fight the wind - get your drone lower as quickly as possible.

I’m 6 months in brand new pilot. Before my first flight , I youtubed and re-youtubed everything on my M2P. I still youtube but more advanced info now.

I decided to master (practice) the craft in steps:
1- Basic flight controls in air. Learn the controller and basic up, down, left, right and landing/ takeoff.
2- Basic Picture taking and settings
3- Basic Videotaking and settings.
4- Advanced maneuvers.....I used my dog in the backyard to manually track with the drone. This really increased my skill level on the controls. Don’t scare you dog though.
5- Advanced maneuvers with video on.

My M2P has tracking, but I’m learning by tracking manually. I noticed my flight skill level increased dramatically.

6- Advanced Picture and Video taking.

Youtube constantly for other ideas specific to your drone and as you stated practice, practice, practice.
great advice, thanks ...

my drone hasn't got tracking of course but I prefer to learn to master the controls myself (like you did) ...

now I just have to buy a dog ! ;-)

great advice, thanks ...

my drone hasn't got tracking of course but I prefer to learn to master the controls myself (like you did) ...

now I just have to buy a dog ! ;-)

I can let you borrow mine. I have two shelties...herding dogs....perfect for practice.

• Haha
As a newbie you definitely should forget the camera initially & concentrate on flying the drone & how all automated/semi-automated functions work ...

Below points is what I usually send to beginners ... all is about the drone itself, if these isn't fully understood it will end badly sooner or later. Some of the thing's isn't applicable to all drone models though ... OD sensors for instance.

Also the maneuvering of the drone can come in a slower pace ... these drones hover on the spot when sticks are released ... so uncertain, just release & think. The correct maneuvering will grow with every flight, just keep the distance to obstacles & let that skill take it's time.

Read the user manual ...the thick downloadable one, not only the quick start, can usually be downloaded in the models web page at DJI ... under section "Downloads"

Power on in the right order ... First power on your RC & start the app ... after that, power on the drone (& do it on the spot you're going to take off from). Reverse order to shut down.

Before take-off ALWAYS ... add in one very easy check to avoid a really scary event coming from accidentally launching from a magnetic disturbed place with following flyaway at height in an uncontrollable "toilet bowl" shaped flight path. After powering on your drone, connected to your RC/app & placed it in the take-off spot ... but before lift-off, ALWAYS check that the drone icon on the map in your app is pointing equal in relation to other objects in the map as the drone does in reality ... if not, abort launch attempt, power down & move away, power up again and repeat.

Keep well under the wind spec where you fly ... and please note that it's not only at ground, it's at the altitude where you fly. The winds up to 400ft are very different then on ground. Use for instance the UAV Forecast app where you can get a feeling about the winds on higher altitudes, but please note that it's forecasts we are speaking of, a bit of common sense is good to apply to that ... "better skip flying a windy day & fly more another day".

Don't go & calibrate everything on a regularly basis ... why fix things that are working, it's just a higher risk that you by mistake calibrate your compass in a magnetic disturbed area & the drone goes haywire 10 meters up in the air. Calibrate IMU + compass according to user manual, keep away from magnetic things like cars, metal tables & reinforced concrete at take-off & compass calibrations. If the app recommend a compass calibration first try another launch spot on a far distance from the first ... if calibration still is recommended by the app do it, but only then.

Don't launch in a hurry ... wait until you have at least 8, preferable 10 locked satellites & wait for the lady voice announce that the Home point has been updated, check then on the map that it's in the correct spot. Learn how the RTH function works, don't set the altitude for that unnecessary high, look around were you are going to fly and set it to clear the highest obstacle, to high & the drone risks a blow away.

Seek up a large open place ... a soccer field, free of obstacles & people. Test off every function one at a time until you fully understand how it works & the logic behind, confirm through the user manual if needed. Fly low, slow & near.

Take the claimed control distance from DJI with a pinch of salt ... only doable out in the countryside completely free of WiFi disturbance & obstacles in between the Remote & Aircraft.

Don't rely 100% on the obstacle avoidance sensors ... they are good & handy to have to perhaps save you when making a mistake, but they can't see everything, especially thin branches & wires so don't think they will allow your drone to just bounce away from everything all the time.

The Pause button on the RC ... It's a handy one, it will stop all automated modes immediately (if you have GPS coverage). Place your thumb on that when you initiate a automated flight mode & be prepare to stop it if too close to a tree for instance.

Learn the rules & regulation ... keep the drone within Visual line of sight, if you can't avoid going out of visual keep it at least in line of sight (unobstructed line between Remote & Aircraft even though you don't see it) so you don’t lose the connection.
very useful info, thanks !

I use common sense, the UAV and Droneguide (local rules) app every time and calibrate when asked for ... I sometimes forget to set the sound level of my phone to maximum though ... I have to because useful to hear the app speak to you

I have never used the RTH function until now ... always RTH by hand, somehow I trust that option more ... and I haven't tried any of the Quickshot modes yet ... I first want to master my aircraft in case anything bad could happen

Reactions: rcookie
This is a big one in my opinion. It always amazes me the number of people that ALWAYS use RTH to get their drone back to them in none emergency situations rather than learn to fly it back to them manually. So, when they do end up in a situation where they need to get their drone back quickly they have no idea how to do it.

Also - big piece of helpful advice. If you get in trouble with your drone the first thing you should do is get it lower. As low as possible, as safely as possible, and whilst being able to maintain sight. This is especially helpful in a situation where your drone is being swept up by the wind. Don’t waste battery trying to fight the wind - get your drone lower as quickly as possible.
I have never used the RTH function even once until now, always RTH by hand ... I prefer that, not the automated stuff ... and get lower first thing ... doing that provides a safer feeling already

third thing I would do is set the map to full screen so I can see there where the drone is at that moment if I happen to lose VLOS

Reactions: Lastrexking
I have never used the RTH function even once until now, always RTH by hand ... I prefer that, not the automated stuff ... and get lower first thing ... doing that provides a safer feeling already

third thing I would do is set the map to full screen so I can see there where the drone is at that moment if I happen to lose VLOS
Even though you perhaps not will use the RTH functionality to get home it's crucial that you learn how all different variants of it work ... when you push the RTH button it's "Smart RTH", when you lose connection it's "Failsafe" in which one setting can be RTH, then you also have "Low battery RTH".

Have seen to many cases of low battery RTH kicking in when pilots have been poking around low, under trees just a few meters from the HP ... & thinking that they can disregard the low battery warning as they have the AC low, near & have time to land ... then suddenly the RTH kicks in, takes the AC straight up into the trees & crash.

Learn how thing's work ... then you know what to expect & can chose if, when & how to use the functions.

Even though you perhaps not will use the RTH functionality to get home it's crucial that you learn how all different variants of it work ... when you push the RTH button it's "Smart RTH", when you lose connection it's "Failsafe" in which one setting can be RTH, then you also have "Low battery RTH".

Have seen to many cases of low battery RTH kicking in when pilots have been poking around low, under trees just a few meters from the HP ... & thinking that they can disregard the low battery warning as they have the AC low, near & have time to land ... then suddenly the RTH kicks in, takes the AC straight up into the trees & crash.

Learn how thing's work ... then you know what to expect & can chose if, when & how to use the functions.
out of all the advice thats been mentioned in the above posts ,yours is the best in my opinion ,its nice to see that new flyers are taking notice of advice given on the forum ,it would seem the message is getting through

interesting suggestion ... for now, I only fly in really open spaces but I can imagine I will fly in more confined spaces at some point in time ... flying at 10 meters under trees with the RTH set to 40 meter (to fly above them) could indeed result in a major crash - with the drone being the loser - when the auto RTH kick is

thanks !

Reactions: rcookie
Hi All, Great hints and tips. As the Mini2 is second on my list for 2021 (first I have to buy a Xiaomi smartphone compatible with DJI Fly), this topic was of great interest for me.
Could you advice Youtube tutorials which describe precisely the different steps to go thru to learn gradually how to handle and control the drone. Because I don't go wild at first flight.
I want to learn progressively.
Thanks in advices for your advices

Hi All, Great hints and tips. As the Mini2 is second on my list for 2021 (first I have to buy a Xiaomi smartphone compatible with DJI Fly), this topic was of great interest for me.
Could you advice Youtube tutorials which describe precisely the different steps to go thru to learn gradually how to handle and control the drone. Because I don't go wild at first flight.
I want to learn progressively.
Thanks in advices for your advices
Tons of it in YT ... made a quick search & came up with this ...

I own the DJI Mini 2 for about 3 weeks now and I have flown with it about 4 times ... and I have to say that the most important thing an absolute beginner has to learn is ... (drums) : patience, patience, patience !!!

Controlling a drone as you see on numerous Youtube video's is just really hard ... getting to know your aircraft should be the primary concern instead of trying to shoot cinematic footage as of the first flight.

I find that I tend to panic when something unexpected happens (mixing up the controls or having a very interested seagull nearby for example) ... all I want to do then is not to crash my drone but instead of that I start steering it in all directions !

Another issue for pilots who are just starting out is playing with ND/PL filters ... sometimes you find you have shot the perfect picture ... but you used a filter that was too dark ... and since you're not a professional photographer, you can't fix the picture afterwards in any way, hahahaha.

Conclusion : my next flights will be all about flying the aircraft itself, not messing around with video's and/or photo's ... cause it tends to lower the level of focus on the actual flying skills.

Any other tips ?
Probably the most stupid question ever. After flying,shutting controller off, and drone off, I'd like to get out of the app. How do you shut the app of on an Android phone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb