DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for panning smoothly?

Hey.

Does the mavic pro have the "tripod" type quickshot? I've a Mavic Air and it does. Effect is that all movements are slowed down so turning n planning can be much smoother. I use it all the time in addition to showing down gimbal movement n pitch n yaw sensitivity decrease as already mentioned by others.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Ronan

Check out this video:

ff22, do you have a M2P and have tried this with the latest DJO GO 4?

Look at the video just after 4 minute mark: he is setting from default EXP values that start at 0.40. The rudder / yaw setting is the most critical.

But MY EXP settings default at 0.25, 0.20, 0.25. The rudder / yaw is already at 0.20 by default and it's not that smooth. Changing it to 0.10 helps, but not by much.

I posted all of this on the following thread and got no responses at all.

The gimbal adv. setting recommendations in that video is still valid, but it seems the EXP settings have changed since that video (and others like it) was made.

Chris

Im new too and found that using the "pinch method" (holding the joysticks with the thumb and index fingers) work great for control.

Still new to this (under 20 flights).

I try to smoothly turn or go forward or slow down but the videos still show abrup movements.

I try to also swivel up and down in little steps by flicking the dial but those movements are also herky jerky.

So what are the best ways to get smooth movements not just of the drone but also the camera/gimble?

Or do you guys also make hard turns and pans but just use editing to smooth things out? :D
Did you load the geo fencing before this? I had nice smooth video with my Mavic pro but it became jerky after downloading the geo fencing. At the time I thought it was the latest firmware that was the problem. It was replaced by DJI and was smooth when I linked it, however foolishly when the geo fencing flashed up I did load it. I am now convinced the geo software running in the background to constantly monitor the gps is causing the video processing to run slower as shown on my video parameters.

WC: Horizontal panning with a typical drone is undoubtedly one of the most difficult filming procedures and as time goes by, you get a little better. Here's a clip from Dylan at ikopta that is on point:

Panning Shots

There is tons of great advice in this thread. I have one additional piece of advice that you may have already discovered: Don't rely on Waypoints 2.0 (or Litchi) to pan smoothly from point to point. There is a glaring bug in the firmware that I can almost guarantee does a WORSE job of panning than even a novice pilot.

There is tons of great advice in this thread. I have one additional piece of advice that you may have already discovered: Don't rely on Waypoints 2.0 (or Litchi) to pan smoothly from point to point. There is a glaring bug in the firmware that I can almost guarantee does a WORSE job of panning than even a novice pilot.

Any related videos you can share?

Any related videos you can share?

There are quite a few on this board and others; it's a well-established issue that has been frustrating a lot of people. Here are links to 2 of my favorites -- both of which illustrate the problem extremely well:

AJ's comparison

The K Spot - Start watching at minute 13

Frankly, Thunderdrones, this issue is so bad and so disappointing that it has largely ruined my enjoyment of flying the Mavic 2 :mad:. The original Mavic DID NOT have this problem. It was as smooth as silk from point to point. Now, it produces nothing but unprofessional, choppy, unusable video in waypoint mode. It looks like the bird is being held back and yanked from position to position rather than smoothly transitioning across the arc.

Last edited:
There are quite a few on this board and others; it's a well-established issue that has been frustrating a lot of people. Here are links to 2 of my favorites -- both of which illustrate the problem extremely well:

AJ's comparison

Start watching at minute 13

Frankly, Thunderdrones, this issue is so bad and so disappointing that it has largely ruined my enjoyment of flying the Mavic 2 :mad:. The original Mavic DID NOT have this problem. It was as smooth as silk from point to point. Now, it produces nothing but unprofessional, sloppy, unusable video in waypoint mode.

Oh, I thought it was a Litchi related problem, but seems its systemic for the M2's in both DJI Go 4 and Litchi.

My advice, shoot shorter clips, use more transitions, and pause the WP app for shots that need longer clips.

this issue is so bad and so disappointing that it has largely ruined my enjoyment of flying the Mavic 2 :mad:.

I can understand your frustration, especially if it was working with the MP. Have you tried dampening your yaw sensitivity? Another thing I might try is downresing to a lower resolution.

I have found that POI, even on the MP, has never been perfect, but for most recreational uses, it is good enough.

In the world of photography, it is rare to find a photographer who uses "auto" mode on any camera. Using auto for some functions is good, but if you cant find a workaround, you gotta do it manually.

In the world of photography, it is rare to find a photographer who uses "auto" mode on any camera. Using auto for some functions is good, but if you can't find a workaround, you gotta do it manually.

For the most part, I agree with that statement. However, one of the primary benefits of Waypoints (GO4, Litchi, etc.) is to perfectly transition and pan the camera from point to point. It's essentially impossible to do that manually. Granted, I can do a much better job manually than the Mavic 2 can do it automatically, but I shouldn't have to. This isn't a $50 toy. As I mentioned before, and as you can see in AJ's video, the original Mavic did exactly that -- smooth as silk. It's essentially a math equation that, for whatever reason, DJI has neglected to properly adjust with the Mavic 2.

For the most part, I agree with that statement. However, one of the primary benefits of Waypoints (GO4, Litchi, etc.) is to perfectly transition and pan the camera from point to point. It's essentially impossible to do that manually. Granted, I can do a much better job manually than the Mavic 2 can do it automatically, but I shouldn't have to. This isn't a $50 toy. As I mentioned before, and as you can see in AJ's video, the original Mavic did exactly that -- smooth as silk. It's essentially a math equation that, for whatever reason, DJI has neglected to properly adjust with the Mavic 2.

Understood. Well, you have your options and some workarounds.

I have learned both as a private pilot and a drone pilot that "perfect" doesnt exist so often. Im satisfied with "very good" and make up for the rest with a workaround.

Rob: Had a few forgetable landings in a 172, have ya? :) (I've certainly had my share in every aircraft I've ever flown.) <bigger grin>

Rob: My buds and I used to put a flashlight on the rudder trim wheel in a 727 for competition and obviously, the goal was to land without it falling. A lot more difficult than it seems but, it was doable.

Another night in another Boeing when the weather was horrible in Memphis...heavy T-storms and hellacious crosswinds, nearly at the max velocity. It was my leg and I was just hoping I wouldn't break the darn thing. :) But as luck would have it, I rolled it on so smoothly that you really couldn't tell when we went from flying to rolling. My partner called me a bad name. :) The best though was when the tower came over the radio as we were rolling out and said, "That is by far the best landing we've seen all night." My partner picked another bad name. <big grin>

Reactions: Former Member
Rob: My buds and I used to put a flashlight on the rudder trim wheel in a 727 for competition and obviously, the goal was to land without it falling. A lot more difficult than it seems but, it was doable.

Another night in another Boeing when the weather was horrible in Memphis...heavy T-storms and hellacious crosswinds, nearly at the max velocity. It was my leg and I was just hoping I wouldn't break the darn thing. :) But as luck would have it, I rolled it on so smoothly that you really couldn't tell when we went from flying to rolling. My partner called me a bad name. :) The best though was when the tower came over the radio as we were rolling out and said, "That is by far the best landing we've seen all night." My partner picked another bad name.
I think you and the aircraft were "one" at that time. For the tower to come on and tell you how well you landed, is a Testament to your flying abilities.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Rick