DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips, tricks or common issues?

I thought landing & taking off in a NP was illegal? FAA controls all airspace, the NP's don't...
A park ranger told me that you have to ask the National Park Service (not the FAA) for a Special Use Permit to fly a drone over a park. (He also said that it''s virtually impossible for a recreational flyer to get a permit, and suggested it would be a waste of time applying for one. :()

A park ranger told me that you have to ask the National Park Service (not the FAA) for a Special Use Permit to fly a drone over a park. (He also said that it''s virtually impossible for a recreational flyer to get a permit, and suggested it would be a waste of time applying for one. :()
False for NPs, but over national wilderness the min altitude is 2000’

Of course, most NPs are huge so taking off near one wouldn't get you very far inside due to battery limitations, so they have succeeded in limiting UAVs videoing the "good stuff" inside their boundaries. I have worked in Yellowstone NP, so living inside the park & spending a lot of free time there, I know many "secret" places I could launch my MP. In these backwoods spots, I could video some fabulous sights without "disturbing" the tourists or the animals but then I would be doing something I knew was illegal. It would be fun to try but sure wouldn't want to get caught... IMHO...
Were you a park ranger? As I understand it, rangers are themselves allowed to fly drones -- presumably for things like searching for lost hikers and fire watch, but it seems like an excuse wouldn't be hard to find.

False for NPs
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand what you're trying to say. A ranger told me that you have to have a Special Use Permit issued by the National Park Service, not the FAA, to fly a drone over a national park. Are you saying that's not true, or the part about how impossible it is to get one?

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand what you're trying to say. A ranger told me that you have to have a Special Use Permit issued by the National Park Service, not the FAA, to fly a drone over a national park. Are you saying that's not true, or the part about how impossible it is to get one?
Not sure your ranger was correct. For non107 pilots the former is practically impossible.

Not sure your ranger was correct. For non107 pilots the former is practically impossible.
Oh, sorry again, I was misunderstanding the issue in the post I replied to, which is whether it's legal to fly over a park if you take off and land from outside the park. Now, that's an interesting question and I didn't make that distinction when I asked the ranger. And it appears that it is legal. From Policy Memorandum 14-05:

All superintendents must take the following actions no later than August 20, 2014, except that actions 6 through 8 must be taken immediately upon the receipt of this Policy Memorandum. Regional directors will ensure that every park complies with this policy by the date required.
  • Insert the following closure language in the park compendium:
Authority: 36 CFR 1.5

Definition:

The term "unmanned aircraft" means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the device, and the associated operational elements and components that are required for the pilot or system operator in command to operate or control the device (such as cameras, sensors, communication links). This term includes all types of devices that meet this definition (e.g., model airplanes, quadcopters, drones) that are used for any purpose, including for recreation or commerce.

Closure Language:

Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of [insert name of park] is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent.

Oh, sorry again, I was misunderstanding the issue in the post I replied to, which is whether it's legal to fly over a park if you take off and land from outside the park. Now, that's an interesting question and I didn't make that distinction when I asked the ranger. And it appears that it is legal. From Policy Memorandum 14-05:
No disagreement... here’s the policy and a Q and A directly on the NPS website:

Were you a park ranger? As I understand it, rangers are themselves allowed to fly drones -- presumably for things like searching for lost hikers and fire watch, but it seems like an excuse wouldn't be hard to find.

Worked at the Old Faithful Lodge...

If I was the rancher who owned those cows, I would consider that as animal harassment. No wonder so many folks don't like our drones !
They are my own cows. Do that to someone else's cows and you would not have a drone anymore. Haha

I guess negative can be found in everything. lol

Congrats on flying your new Mini. Thanks for keeping the videos short. A long video is a quick way to lose an audience.

Regarding canyons, the more open sky the better for GPS. You may lose GPS (and RC) connection if you get too close to a wall or too deep in a canyon. Then it will be free to drift with the breezes and you will have to actually fly it. Make sure you have RTH set correctly for the location. EDIT: If you lose GPS then RTH will not work. It cannot return to home if it does not know where it or home is.

Regarding cows, they sure are inquisitive creatures. Notice they do not run too far before stopping to look back at it. If for some reason it had to land there, odds are good that they would eventually walk up and sniff, lick, nudge, step on, or otherwise crunch it simply out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Reactions: dajain
I've watched "long" drone videos and yes, after about the first 3-4 minutes, they can get long winded. I will be posting more on Youtube but a 3 minute video takes almost 2 hours to upload. My connection speed sucks. Still on landline. Fiber is supposed to be installed soon. Yay!!! Yes, that is how remote I am. We didn't have electricy until 1952! haha

With the cows, they are mine and his is not their first encounter with a drone. The MM is smaller and quieter than the Walmart Vivitar Shyview, but they still run from it every time. But like you say Mossiback, they are very inquisitive. Ill get closer with the Vivitar but a $500 drone, not so much.

I love the scenery in my part of the world and am willing to share videos to those who will never set foot here. Don't ask where the videos are shot, I will never invade someones privacy, but I will always be looking out for great short videos. But yes, the canyons do scare me about loosing the drone. The CR video was always within eyesight and very short. Not brave enough for a canyon flight yet. Rocks don't do well for WIFI connections.

God I love living in the wild west. Anywhere (anyone) else are just too uptight and wiling to call foul. I have freedoms some will never understand. Just enjoy the videos and quit complaining.

God bless and enjoy the flight!

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB